1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Race Perks?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NotAnAnon, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

yes you would kill the enemy easyr, but it would cost you a ****lot bullets which would cost enough pixels?
    (my point is that you can kill 1 enemy easyr but then you have to buy sooo many bullets all over again)

2. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

That's what procedurally generated gear does.So you choos a race not thinking about perks and what to do once in game,you just pick the race you prefere.

Ivar A.K. Medaas likes this.
  3. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

4. Kelp

Kelp Big Damn Hero

While race perks would be neat, it hurts the game more often than helping it. The perks would have to be very well done to not harm the gameplay mechanics and balance.

5. Fortunos

Fortunos Subatomic Cosmonaut

How can you people keep saying that so surely? A crapton of games have differences between races or classes, and they're still balanced! Why wouldn't this game be the same. Everything can be balanced, while still having differences between the different choices.

6. Okay, I tell you a story.
    One time, le me was traveling on some boat among other prisoners. Pitching, terrible food and all that. Finally, we landed, two healthy fellas in armor brought me to the light of day and led to some big shot. And this guy asked me: "Where are you from, boy?"

Well, they told me I can be everything so I became a cat. (Cats rules!).
    After some days of acclimatization and mudcrabs punching I decided to buy some new clothes. (and when I say "buy" I mean "for free", you know;)). It was a nice pair of leather boots.
    Once I have no longer pursued (approximately three miles norther), I decided to try my new purchase. And guess what I discovered? Stupid human boots doesn't fit on cat's paws ...:cry:

My FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU was heard even in the remotest corners of Vvardenfell...:mad:

Well, why am I telling you this? I mean that racial differences in games have always irritated me.

wulld likes this.
  7. Kelp

Kelp Big Damn Hero

Balancing racial perks is extremely difficult and if a game is as hyped as Starbound, failure could be disastrous. Damage buffs, resistances, absorption, extra health, extra energy even higher jump height or whatever. All of these could have effects on the game and depending on the situations, be rendered completely useless or "far too useful".

The best way to introduce perks, in my opinion would be through genetic modifying seeing as we'll have access to things like that in the game. Why not take on the properties of a corrosive slime and hurt anything that attacks you directly? You could also perhaps gain something like gills from a fish to help you breathe underwater.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea of racial abilities but is is very unsteady ground, I won't reject the game if they are added and done badly but I would prefer the game without them. Even if the differences and bonuses are minor, they could have serious effects in late game rendering the class underpowered or overpowered. If the perks were minor and could be obtained from low danger planets then I would see them as fair and balanced. Basically giving you extra-early access to a perk which can easily be obtained in the first place.

Mianso, Plaggor and blind sniper like this.
  8. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

He's not talking about that kind of perk , hes talking about unique things for races , like Claws for Khajits in Skyrim and Waterbreathing for Argonians.

9. Plaggor

Plaggor Void-Bound Voyager

It took many years to Balance TF2 and they have finally done so in the last couple of years. and I dont see anything balanced about Starcraft. The point is that it is extremely difficult to balance classes with perks or racial advantages, it would be easier to just let someones equipment do the talking, in this sense everyone gets to pick their own abilities, and they can build their character how they want. They wont have to subscribe to a, going back to a previous example, Lizardmans armor bonus but lose the ability to be underwater longer. The person could choose their avatar for how it looks and then pick what they are good at as they explore planets and hash out their equipment from expeditions. Its very easy to see that there, at least at launch, will be one or maybe two races with serious advantages, and equipment will only keep making them stronger then everyone else. then we have to wait for patches, and Starbound will have already lost players over the miscalculation. I think it is in their best interest to leave the perks up to their amazing Equipment generation program already in place.

blind sniper likes this.
  10. the_randomhero

the_randomhero Intergalactic Tourist

well take for instance the avions they could have less fall damage but less health and better movement speed or prehapes able to glide

11. Seahorse

Seahorse Zeromus

A Seahorse! Me! I myself would like race perks but it seems a lot of people wouldn't. Why could work quite easily though, is if they added race specific weapons... But everyone can use them. The twist is, if you are making a weapon for your own race it requires less materials because you have a better knowledge in crafting these said weapons. That way if your with friends it would be beneficial to Be different races as you could make weapons for each other with lower material costs, but not mandatory as everyone can still craft them it just takes a few more materials.

12. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

"Avians should have the ability to fly! This is because they are birds and it makes no sense if they can't."

A minor reason that there shouldn't be perks for different races: people are going to complain that the perks don't match up to their expectations.

wulld likes this.
  13. ThrehserMaw

ThrehserMaw Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Those wings are not enough to make something of that size fly , and they would only be able to fly vertically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.