An "anti-suggestion"

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Swinburn, Apr 12, 2012.

?

Do you agree or disagree with the contents of this thread?

1. Agree

75.5%
  2. Disagree

24.5%
  1. Swinburn

Swinburn Phantasmal Quasar

First of all let me just say, I love the idea of having multiple playable races, sounds great.

My problem lies in those that are being thought of by the fan-base...
    I really dislike the idea that different races should have "bonuses" to their stats, I think that is in a way constricts the creativity of the player.
    (e.g. Someone really wants to play a lizardman and use guns, but the lizardman has a debuff on gun damage. The use of guns was a big part of what they wanted in their gameplay experience and for that they are forced to choose a race that perhaps they did not want as much.)
    I am also opposed to the stats being created by the players, a lot of what I have seen consists of huge stat increases with little decreases. (e.g. Lizardman gets +20 armour, -5 breath)
    Also as odd as it sounds I think that many threads are getting too exotic with their racials, adding in skills/stats that will probably never be in game. (e.g. Ability to walk through walls, Magic increase, Transformantion.)

What I would have considered for races is that they are purely cosmetic, choosing them does not impact your gameplay experience any more than choosing another.
    The stat buffs and debuffs should come from the items and armour, like they have already been designed to do.

Thank you for reading this.

2. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

I agree, if someone plays a certain way then they would only play one type of race that fits that style of gameplay. That's why there shouldn't be stat increases or decreases. However, Races should have a difference from each other sine they are different and it's a path of gameplay I'd like to see expanded on. I think races should be able to talk to their own people. If we have a space ape race then it would be fun and provide an extra bit or replay-ability to choose their race and to talk to them and accept quests from them. Also, if you pick the human race over the ape race, you might have conflict from both sides and have to try to work out a treaty agreement or maybe to try and fight back against them. The possibilities are very wide and I can't see any negative attributes to it so I say let races interact with each other!

Torol and Swinburn like this.
  3. Swinburn

This kind of racial is something I am not opposed too, it is totally acceptable to be able to speak to members of your race that other races could not without a special tool.
    The idea of interaction between races is also a positive idea, Lizardmen could hate Apes, Apes hate Humans, Humans hate Lizardmen etc. It opens up new possible gameplay. (Although with this implemented in multiplayer there would have to be exceptions between player characters of races that in SP would hate each other.)

Wonderful how from this "anti-suggestion" we are creating plausible positive ideas.

Torol likes this.
  4. Rian121

Rian121 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Why not just like in Skyrim? The more you use the skill the better you get!

5. Swinburn

That is a totally different subject altogether, I am talking about starting with different racial abilities.

6. GalacticRooster

GalacticRooster Big Damn Hero

Yeah, I definitely agree. I do want playable races, but not with special perks. Really, I think they should just be for the feeling of, say, shooting guns as a lizardman.

7. Swinburn

Yes.

8. Nyss

Nyss Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I vote to agree. But I could take it either way.

9. Epicface

Epicface Heliosphere

I agree, but think that they do have differences, except not in stats, in factions. If you are a lizardman, birdmen might hate you and attack you or just treat you without respect.

Killer Snowman and Kyden23 like this.
  10. Bine

Bine Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Big agreement to the idea here. If there are stats based on race so be it. But it better not be anything that prevents one from being a certain type of character!

11. Swinburn

Sure that is fine, but they cant enforce that in player characters (multiplayer), in single player sure.

Exactly.

12. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

Personally, I think it'd be cool if that races got bonuses in different biomes/worlds or something. Like lizardmen get like a 5% speed bonus or something in the desert biome

RadioFox and Frisky Fox like this.
  13. Swinburn

Although that is a better suggestion than making character racials, it is still something I am personally against. I am sure that kind of buff could easily be achieved with the items.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  14. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik Contact!

I completely agree with the contents of this thread and I'm pretty sure the majority of people on this forum would also agree.

However, if they do happen to add "racial attributes" to this game, I'm pretty sure they will be very subtle.
    Different races opeining up alternate dialogue options does seem like a pretty cool mechaninc I would hope to see implemented.

Epicface likes this.
  15. ThatAmazingPerson

ThatAmazingPerson Existential Complex

Yeah, kind of like buff potions?

16. Swinburn

Sure, buff potions for short term effects and then some accessories or something for more permanent effects (although probably at a lessened percentage, to keep the meaning of potions (and that is if they even include potions))

17. Dr. Whooves

Dr. Whooves Subatomic Cosmonaut

I must say that I completely agree.

18. Spike

Spike Supernova

I dunno... if races have no perks, then what's the point of having races all-together? Wouldn't it be just another character skin set, which you can alter once the modding community boots up? Of course, different proficiency would mean a certain disadvantage against certain foe; however, I can live with that.

Airclaw and Zaba35 like this.
  19. Gusty

Gusty Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't quite agree nor I disagree.... Some game-breaking ideas I could surely live without, some interesting concepts though... I'm not sure.

Lizards being able to breathe underwater, bird people being able to do minor flight distances, apes being able to jump higher, feline being able to do a sprint run faster.. and humans being able to ...recreate technological equipment faster/easier?

While those racial 'perks' would be a minor game-changing feature in the beginning, later on, that could change. Adding a 'maximum speed available, maximum jump height, flight distance/time, sprint..' would level those racial 'perks' later on, creating only a differentiated start.

That's my opinion.

Modest, Zaba35, Dementia and 4 others like this.
  20. Dr. Ivo Robotnik

Dr. Ivo Robotnik Contact!

All in all, more people would be pissed if a certain race has a significant advantage over the others than if they are all essentially the same with different skins

Although I'm not completely against there being SUBTLE differences between the races, I think that overall all of the races should be relatively similar in the stat department and any race should be able to use any weapon/armor/tool/whatever with equal proficiency

LET NOT MY LIZARDMAN BE JUDGED BY THE SCALINESS OF HIS SKIN, BUT BY THE CONTENT OF HIS INVENTORY!!

Urist McDwarf likes this.