1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Race Perks?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by NotAnAnon, Jun 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotAnAnon

NotAnAnon Subatomic Cosmonaut

Does anyone know if certain races will have perks like increased speed or more health? What would be some cool perks for the differnt races I'd like to see some ideas. :)
    ( I apologise if there is alredy a thread like this)

I think some cool ones would be: water breathing, increased jump hight, more health, less falling damage, increased running speed, and it would be cool if one race could see better in the dark.

LordChickenMan likes this.
  2. Fuzions

Fuzions Zero Gravity Genie

I don't think it has been confirmed but it would be a great addition.
    I'd like to see differences in races other than just appearance, having each race unique in their own way.

M C and NotAnAnon like this.
  3. But it would be unfair:lod:
    Some race(s) almost surely will be more powerful than others ==> all players will choose it ==> boredom:(
    I hope there will be just cosmetic differences between races (and different backgrounds of course):whoop:

Kelp, Sarzael, Ghostar and 1 other person like this.
  4. Fuzions

Doesn't mean balance couldn't be involved.
    (If there's an underwater race, that can breathe underwater, perhaps it would have limited time on land and would need some special item for example)

5. Antarus

Antarus Void-Bound Voyager

I don't think that in this kind of game people will choose the best race, but they'll probably choose just whichever race they like most.

6. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

There was a Seahorse's thread about this.I agree with blindsniper,if there are some diferences those have to be pretty unsignificant,just to give a little boost when beginning the game.

blind sniper likes this.
  7. Well balance is a much more complicated thing than most people assume...
    When you think you were balanced all the smallest aspects of something, then some players find a Great Hole In The Game Rules (continuing with your example, maybe not so much bodes of water would be in game, so water-breathing would be not useful etc.), so.. well... maybe it's better not to tempt fate :poptop:

Kelp and Plaggor like this.
  8. Fuzions

Well I'm sure whatever the devs decide to do would be fine.
    However, it would be strange having races with wings that can't fly amirite? (unless they're penguins)

blind sniper and NotAnAnon like this.
  9. M C

M C Parsec Taste Tester

or maybe just something like 2% more ranged damage

NotAnAnon likes this.
  10. In multiplayer battle 2% can become a difference between life and deatho_O

11. NotAnAnon

Yes thats what im trying to get across, i dont want an over powered passive, so insstead of having waterbreathing maybe you can spend more time under water, or maybe you move a little faster in water.

12. NotAnAnon

well your only viewing one race's passive, lets say the race you are fighting has increased health... that would even the playing field so to speak.

13. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

wulld and blind sniper like this.
  14. Plaggor

Plaggor Void-Bound Voyager

There are always exploiters and you can never get rid of them, i agree with there being race specific perks but i also think they shouldnt be anything too drastic because theirs always gonna be someone whos bonus "Makes sense" for their race, but gives them a huge leg up on the others (IE Bird that can fly[Tho Avians dont have wings they have to build them] compared to a Human who can..... be human.) Its a slippery slop to go down and it is, Like Sniper said, much harder to balance playable classes and races then most people realize. Just look at every single ranged class in any game ever made. OP. haha

blind sniper likes this.
  15. Mianso

Mianso Black Hole Surfer

Yeah,just image a machinegun,with each shot you gain a +1 damage and kill the enemy much more easly.If there are perks,those souldn't affect too much the fighting.

blind sniper and Plaggor like this.
  16. It was stated that
    So I can imagine that "perks" will be provided by your equipment. You can just roleplay if you want - i.e. become Avian, equip a jetpack/wings and wield generic high-tech spear and enjoy, but no one prohibit you to be Avian heavy close-range fighter or Monkey sniper or Human with wings and spear - freedom uber alles:D

17. Fortunos

Fortunos Subatomic Cosmonaut

Of course there will be race perks. Otherwise there wouldn't even be races, now would there? Tiy could just enable you to make your own avatar, making you able to make it look like ANYTHING. He went through the trouble of creating a backstory and all that jazz for the Avians, and probably for more races yet unknown to us, so they will probably have something special about them.

And one race being stronger than the other is something that can be easily solved. Every single online game with anything like races, classes, or anything that changes what you can or can't do would have the same problem, and that isn't the case at all (just look at things like Team Fortress, Starcraft etc.)

18. Sensational

Sensational Phantasmal Quasar

Would be unfair.
    Most people would choose the better perks, and that's it.
    Only one race would exist lol.

blind sniper likes this.
  19. Tmonster

Tmonster Phantasmal Quasar

I'd like for some system limit's all that because if there is a strong specie's every time you play online you will just be see'in the same darn specie's every time so if tiy can find a solution for that it would take away more problem's

Milkychz likes this.
  20. Gman_Austre

Gman_Austre Phantasmal Quasar

Or better yet, have a Fallout style system where you CHOOSE the perks you get for your race

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.