1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Problems with "Asset dependencies form a cycle"

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by HenrikHolst, Jul 26, 2020.

1. HenrikHolst

HenrikHolst Space Hobo

So my son is an avid Starbound player (thousands or hours) and today Starbound refused to launch (and it did work earlier today).

I checked the logfile and noticed that the game crashed with "[Error] Application: exception thrown, shutting down: (StarException) Asset dependencies form a cycle" so I unsubscribed about 10 of the mods from SteamWorks that where updated last but the game still refused to start with the very same problem.

Launching Starbound from outside Steam so none of the SteamWorks mods are loaded launched the game perfectly so the problem is most definitely with one or more of the SteamWorks mods. The major problem here though is that he have A LOT of mods, he have 32 pages of SteamWorks mods installed.

So testing by ubsubscribing each and every single one to then add them one by one to see if the game launches with the clunky interface that SteamWorks have will takes several days. And even if that would (and I'm sure that it will) solve the problem now, the same problem is bound to happen again in the future with another updated mod so this is frankly not a viable long term solution.

Now I don't know if any of the Chucklefish devs browses this forum but in case any of you do, could you please consider adding more verbose output to the dependency cycle error so that it would log which assets or which mods that are having this dependency cycle, that would help a lot!

Just looking in the logfile for which asset that where scanned last does not seam to say anything (my first try was to unsubscribe to the ones seen last) since the loading, scanning and later dependency check seems to run in independent cycles so the order there does not say anything. At least that is my understanding from trying to debug this issue.

I have attached the latest logfile in case any one spots something that I overlooked, and thanks in advance for any one that does!

edit: Solved it thanks to https://community.playstarbound.com...-no-logo-or-anything-issue-with-a-mod.161024/ who had the same problem since it turned out to be the very same mod that caused the problem for my son.

That said however, it would still be great if the game could log which mod that creates the dependency cycle in the future!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
    MiRumERinaBi likes this.