1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Resolved Starbound shuts down instantly upon startup (No logo or anything, issue with a mod)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Oddsock833, Jul 27, 2020.

1. Oddsock833

Oddsock833 Void-Bound Voyager

(SOLVED)

I am having an issue with my Starbound's startup. As soon as it starts, it just stops immediately and closes the window. Here's my log.

I'm not sure what it means, I'm no coder or anything like you people probably are. I can tell the problem is obviously the first message sent after the mods load: Asset dependencies form a cycle
    I just don't know what that means. Does it mean different assets have the same dependencies, and I need to fix that somehow? Or just... uninstall it, I guess?

I can't pinpoint the exact mod that's doing it, and uninstalling them all and reinstalling if it doesn't fix it is gonna take a long time. So it would be very helpful if someone told me how to fix this.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  2. HenrikHolst

HenrikHolst Space Hobo

Yeah that is the exact same problem that my son have which I filed a post yesterday: https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/problems-with-asset-dependencies-form-a-cycle.161022/

From what I can gather the problem is that one (or more) mod(s) are referring to another mod as a dependency, but that this mod in turn is referring to the other mod as a dependency. Been googling around for this I discovered that this sometimes happen when a mod by error sets itself as a dependency, something that Starbound allowed but later banned in some version (don't know which one).

The major problem with this error is of course that the game does not log which mod that is creating the problem so it's impossible to pinpoint the troublesome mod by looking at the logfile alone and one will have to uninstall all the mods (and my son have about 290 mods...) and then try to add one by one to see where it breaks.

Btw I think you uploaded the wrong logfile since there are no errors in this one!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2020
  3. Oddsock833

Ah, sorry, no, that's not what happened. If I load up Starbound DIRECTLY from the .exe file, it will load, but not have any mods enabled. I was testing. Let me go back into steam, and it should change.

Alright, I'm back. The log should be normal now.

4. DrVoodoo

DrVoodoo Cosmic Narwhal

Well, then it's even more obvious. Mods are the issue. If you are running the game through Steam - it loads up all the Workshop mods you've installed (because Workshop IS a part of Steam). I think turning off mods one by one is the only way to find what exactly is breaking the game.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2020
  5. Oddsock833

That's why I said that would be troublesome. But if that's truly the only way to solve the problem, thank you.

Okay, I found MY problem: Frackin' Races and Frackin' Universe are NOT TO BE USED TOGETHER. Frackin' Races is discontinued, and now combined with Frackin' Universe. I was able to start up my game after uninstalling Frackin' Races.

6. DrVoodoo

DrVoodoo Cosmic Narwhal

Glad you found it! :v

7. Pangaea

Pangaea Forum Moderator

Hey guys, just a reminder. Please don't stack posts. Either edit your post or wait for someone else to reply first. I've merged the double posts.

Marking as resolved.

8. HenrikHolst

HenrikHolst Space Hobo

Thanks for finding which mod it was Oddsock833, it turned out to be the same mod that my son had a problem with.

edit: also sorry for the double stacking, was not fully aware that this was frowned upon (I should have read the rules more carefully)!

9. Joedawson

Joedawson Big Damn Hero

Haven't played the game in some time, instant crash. This Fixed it!