Modding Discussion Looking for Unique Weapon Submissions

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by SpazDiesFirst360.0, Dec 8, 2017.

1. SpazDiesFirst360.0

SpazDiesFirst360.0 Phantasmal Quasar

Looking for unique weapon entries... Anyone can submit something, so long as it follows the guidelines below;

Accepted:
    • Ranged Weapons
    • Melee Weapons
    • Other Weapons
    Not Accepted:
    • RNG Weapons
    • Broken/overpowered weapons/abilities
    • Anything deemed "unacceptable" (inappropriate, disturbing, etc...).

2. An Old Knight

An Old Knight Ketchup Robot

Is a minigun too op? I know it is out of balance where it is now, but hopefully not as much as I remember it being.

3. SpazDiesFirst360.0

No... maybe. I know I made a couple mini guns, but they seemed way too broken and were doing so much dps that there was no point in using anything else. But they are fun, so I may do another one...

4. An Old Knight

An Old Knight Ketchup Robot

This one uses actual crafted ammo to help balance it a bit.

5. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

or each bullet individually does very very low damage, but enough for it to be useful at the stage in the game its in

6. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

gun idea: every 3 seconds of firing, it changes its firing pattern to a completely random gun

7. SpazDiesFirst360.0

I sadly have no idea how to do that.

I had some idea for a gun that, upon firing, would select one out of a few projectiles, but that would require lua, which I still have no idea how to use.

8. SpazDiesFirst360.0

Thinking about some concepts that would be interesting...

Maybe a rail gun? Magnets used to launch projectiles... Or maybe a gun that shoots different projectiles each shot.

9. ShadowDragon8685

ShadowDragon8685 Subatomic Cosmonaut

How about boring-but-practical: The Protectorate Personal Defense Weapon, featuring a collapsible stock. The specialness of it is twofold:
    1] You build it up from the same weapon over time. You start with the Tier-1 emergency survival version (don't lose it!) and upgrade to the T2, T3, T4, etc. version, with pixels alone but many of them, at a tier-appropriate crafting station.
    2] In-the-field swapping between one-handed and two-handed use. One-handed it's a machine pistol, two-handed it's a PDW (IE, it's still a machine pistol, but with a folded-out stick.) You swap between modes using the [c]raft menu.

In both modes the firing stats are identical; those of an idealized machine pistol that deals physical damage. High RoF, low individual shot damage, combining for tier-appropriate crafted-weapon DPS. Two-handed gives you dramatically better (extremely good) recoil compensation; one-handed lets you, well, use something else in your other hand. Two-handed use has a flashlight for alt-fire (the flashlight emitter is covered by the stock when the stock is folded.)

And another - the Protectorate Survival rifle:
    Highly-accurate, slow-firing hunting rifle. Boring-but-practical idealized sniper rifle. Has the special property that bows and hunting spears do that cause prey to drop at an increased rate. Has DPS that exactly matches that of the crafted hunting bows assuming an idealized draw and the range, accuracy and projectile speed of a sniper rifle, but with slower firing than an ideal bow shot and worse energy consumption. As with the Protectorate PDW, deals physical damage and upgrades at a tier-appropriate crafting station out of pixels and pixels alone. No alt-fire.

10. ShadowDragon8685

Probably hard to implement: Bug-Gun and Snark Colony.
    Yesss, Half-Life references.

Bug Gun: Shoots a bug that flies out a ways and ricochets. If it flies near a thing, it attempts to lock on and impact that thing, dealing physical damage.
    Snark Colony: Hurl (manually) a larger single mob. Upon impact is dazed for a moment or two, then goes super-aggro and attempts to manually rip apart the nearest thing in sight. Lives for only a short time. A single Snark is not very threatening; many of them are.

Note that neither bugs nor snarks respect "team" in any fashion except that Snarks will not aggro Snarks. Otherwise, they will attempt to murderize anything, including the player and the player's backup dancers (IE, crew members,) mobs, friendly NPCs, hostile NPCs, critters, and generally speaking, anything with a HP bar.

Would probably need some special code to make it an overtly hostile act to deploy these things in a settlement, turning the guards aggro, otherwise the player could just chuck snarks from the rooftops and collect the loot consequence-free.

Also:
    Erchius Gun.
    Tier-3 unique 2h weapon. Fires splats of Erchius the way Erchius Mutants do. Short ranged, high RoF, good damage. Alt-fire is a Burst (as in the Shotgun Burst,) of Erchius. Preferably drops from the Horror, so if you wish you have a nice weapon to use for Tier 2.

11. Gammaboy45

Gammaboy45 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Maybe attempt to recreate a Vortex Beater from Terraria. I've attempted to do it, but I found it much easier making the primary bullets and the alt rocket burst. I bet with more work, it could be made to occasionally shoot rockets instead of bullets- maybe even without modding the game's assets.

12. SpazDiesFirst360.0

I have always wondered how to make it shoot different projectiles at random intervals, but I could never figure it out...
    That being said, that is not a bad idea.

13. ShadowDragon8685

How about a unique shotgun, "real shotgun."
    Just a simple shotgun, no alt-fire, but what makes it "real" is that you actually have to aim, because the shot spread is, in fact, realistically tight, meaning that what you shoot with it tends to actually get hurt a lot, rather than spraying a ridiculous 45-degree cone as if you had actually set off a directional landmine attached to the end of a stick.

14. SpazDiesFirst360.0

Did this one: The Pathfinder, a shotgun in Weapons Addition. A charge-up shotgun that can shoot a max of 10 shots at one time spread in a tight cone.

The funny thing is, the opposite of that is Thermite Rifle: a shotgun that burst-fires upwards of 10-20 shots in an absurd cone that may be a 90- to 135-degree cone. :eek:

15. ShadowDragon8685

Requires FU?
    Drat.

Still, I am glad to see that somebody has made a videogame shotgun that defies "videogame shotgun" tropes in favor of working like an actual shotgun!
    BTW, what did you think of the "Protectorate PDW/Protectorate Survival Rifle" ideas?

I tend to prefer 'boring but practical' a lot...

16. SpazDiesFirst360.0

The ideas are not bad at all, and very doable as well. Definitely can make both of them work.

17. SpazDiesFirst360.0

Just figured out how to do this: the Zephyr Spark Launcher does something like this, where it uses an array of projectiles for the projectileType. But it doesn't seem to do it randomly, but instead loops through the array. I will experiment more with this to see if this is true.