Modding Help Is there a mod that only gives you a bigger hotbar?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by redxlaser15, Dec 4, 2017.

1. redxlaser15

redxlaser15 Big Damn Hero

I often think about how annoying it is that my hotbar doesn't go to 10, like it does on many other games. I am confident there is a mod or two that does this, but the only ones I've found add blank slots to other stuff, which I never use and since they are constantly empty they look kinda ugly. So is there a good steam mod that all it does is give you those extra slots and/or gives you one extra hotbar? (As in press 'x' again for a third bar) I feel like that would be a wonderful quality of life enhancement!

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

there are plenty! I've seen up to 20 slots!

3. redxlaser15

I'd believe that, but it would help if, you know, you actually named them? Also I would prefer if it was simply 10 hotbar slots, so buttons 1-0.

4. Nexus Of Chaos

as for keybinds, that ik of its impossible, but for 1 that is 10, check out @bk3k

5. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Yeah I added extra key binds and you can set them. Yet Starbound ignores them. So they're completely useless. I settled on 10 bars because I wanted 0-9. I was pretty disappointed once I found it didn't work.

Aside from hotkeys, it all works well. And you can combine with a mod that gives you more sets to flip through. There are a few of those.

Do note that (just like inventory mods) you won't be able to use old characters once guy install any hotbar mod (besides vanilla sized reskins).

6. redxlaser15

Will someone actually tell me the name of a mod that does that tho? :p

7. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Well my mods can be found from by profile. Anyhow - https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/bk3ks-side-actionbar-10-bar-version.4591/
    There are other mods of that nature, but the others are up top like vanilla. You may or may not prefer that

You can get 4 bar sets from Frackin Action Bars, and I think Geek's has 6. Vanilla is 2 bars. Those can be used on top of whatever action bar/hot bar mod you choose.

And while you are rolling a new character anyhow... you might like this - https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/bk3ks-inventory.4569/

8. redxlaser15

Err, is it possible to not create a new character for those? Because I'm kinda far and I managed to legit get three action figures and while I can cheat those in I don't like to cheat...

9. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

There are command line utilities within the game files that can turn your character into JSON text. You can then edit that, and use the complimentary utility to turn that back into a character. So it is possible, but beyond most users I think.

I wish the engine would simply adjust the player data as needed. Failing that - give us access to our own versioning scripts. Sadly that doesn't reflect how things are. So yes, you need new characters for all these things. You can put your stuff on a planet somewhere and take down the coordinates. Then later fly your ship to those coordinates to get your stuff.

10. redxlaser15

I don't think it works like that, one character that visits a world and places stuff, the other character won't see. Unless it changed I verified that before.
    EDIT, wait, I'm stupid, I was using a different computer to 'test' it so I'm not actually sure. I'm a moron sometimes.

11. Nexus Of Chaos

the universe files are independent of the player character. you could have 30 hardcore characters and all 30 individually put their progress to the game

12. redxlaser15

That said, I still feel like hardcore is a terrible idea, at least for me. It'd be suicide. I don't die a lot, but if nothing else when I try to slow down my fall from a cliff sometimes lag happens at the exact wrong time and it doesn't work so I go splat.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@bk3k : I really like your inventory mod, but sadly I'm forced to run the game in 1360x760 resolution and that combined with FU's 128-slot containers would not work I don't think as I can barely fit the vanilla inventory + 128 slot container on screen already (they oftentimes overlap, forcing me to move windows around just so I can see what I'm doing).

What I REALLY wish CF would do, is reduce the sheer amount of wasted space in the inventory UI (which you appear to have done somewhat), particularly the character/equip area taking up such a huge portion of real-estate (I wish they would separate the character equip and inventory altogether like most games do!).

Do you know of any mods that have a reduced-size inventory window for us poor people using smaller resolutions? Ones that get rid of a lot of the wasted space?

14. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Sounds like the interface scaling is too large for your resolution. You might try this out - https://community.playstarbound.com/resources/ui-scale.2596/

You can tinker easily enough if needed to achieve a different UI scale. It is a patch for /interface.config
    Code:
    [
        {
            "op" : "replace",
            "path" : "/interfaceCrossoverRes",
            "value" : [1200, 700]
        },
        {
            "op" : "replace",
            "path" : "/maxInterfaceScale",
            "value" : 2
        }
    ]

You could change what resolution it crosses over at... or just skip that part and set the max scale lower. Only integers are valid.

15. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I did try the UI scale -- it only accepts whole numbers, not fractions. UI Scale 2 is too big, UI Scale 1 is too small. 1.5 would be perfect, but the game ignores it because it's a fraction.

Here is UI Scale 2:

[​IMG]

And here is UI Scale 1:

[​IMG]

So surely you can see what the problem is.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

And what really annoys me, is I was told that back during Koala, UI Scale once accepted fractions, but now it doesn't.

That, and there's way too much wasted space in those UI windows. Seriously, now... some of them look like they were designed by a 5 year old. That, and the font is way too thick, etc.

The game "claims" to run at 1360x768 but yet when I export an image, each "pixel" actually appears to be about 4 pixels in size and that's why everything looks 3-4 times as big as it really needs to be.

Take an image of font in Windows and then font in SB and you see this huge difference, it's like super-bold or something. Don't really understand why.

17. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I can't recall seeing an inventory UI that specializes in reducing wasted space. The really popular one (> 75k Steam subscribers) wastes way more space than vanilla LOL.

And I have a reskin for my own inventory mod, but it isn't as space efficient as it could be either. I could definitely squeeze some space out of there, but it would affect the look for sure. It actually works out to roughly the same outer dimensions as my original (vanilla looking) UI. Just how it ended up.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah, there's definitely ways that could be condensed down further. One thing that always annoys me... is how the equipment screen and the inventory screen are linked, but I know that this is probably hard-coded and can't be modded, but it still begs the question of "WHY!?". 99.99999% time you open your inventory screen, you don't need to modify your armor. So why not stick that crap on a separate little window and use a different keybind to open both that window and the inventory window?

That, and since your character is literally standing right there in the game world, do you REALLY need your character displayed on the inventory window? That's another huge unnecessary space waster, especially in the vanilla UI. If they'd get rid of that, they could condense the equipment slot area further. Also, they could shrink the pet HP bar a bit, and the active techs a little too and move them closer together.

I'd have to venture a guess that at least 30% of the entire vanilla window is wasted space. If I were a bit better at doing junk like spriting I'd be tempted to make something a little better.

19. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

You don't need much artistic ability to do it. I don't have much myself. Paint.net is very easy to use for this purpose.

Most the work is moving elements around. A lot. Making small adjustments til everything fits together where you like.
    "position" : [255, 284],//etc
    And you CAN remove entire elements you don't like. I don't think you'd need the character for example. Take this part -
    Code:
            "portrait" : {
              "type" : "portrait",
              "position" : [57.5, 251.5],
              "scale" : 1.5
            },
    and delete or comment out. I deleted a few things over vanilla anyhow. Such as an "Inventory" label. Yes I think you know what you're looking at is the inventory LOL.

The background doesn't have to be anything complex. Any part of it you wanted to retain but move can simply be selected and dragged around. Here's both mine.
    upload_2017-12-15_12-51-2.png upload_2017-12-15_12-51-16.png
    There are definitely things in both that a minimalist reskin could cut out. Feel free to take a crack at it. Also note that (versus vanilla) I increased the item spacing from [19, 19] to [20, 20] so the items felt less crammed and I felt I had the space(fine on my monitor anyhow). You could liberate more space by not doing so.

Anyhow I think there are more people like yourself who would want something more minimalist. Options are nice for everyone.

Xylia likes this.
  20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Huh. I'll have to definitely consider doing exactly that lol.

I'll see how small I can squish it and/or just how many little boxes I can fit in there lol. So, the game adds the boxes themselves? I notice the whole area where the little boxes should be is just one big blank grey area... that means the game draws the actual UI elements themselves? I assume, with parameters defined in the JSON, like "start first box at x,y and draw z number across..." etc?

I'll look into it a bit more when I get time this weekend, if nobody calls me out to work etc lol. Thanks!