1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Hull Plating Blocks & More 35.0 (Concrete Tileset)

Blocks that resemble parts from ship backgrounds, plus some other odds and ends.

1. simulatoralive

simulatoralive Existential Complex

MrChow likes this.
  2. simulatoralive

3. simulatoralive

simulatoralive updated Hull Plating Blocks with a new update entry:

Fish Ship Blocks

Read the rest of this update entry...

4. simulatoralive

Minor Bug Fix For Brass Pipe

5. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Have you considered the vertical variants of some of those plating blocks, especially the wall panels?

6. simulatoralive

Interesting idea. I may have to give that one a go. The Wall Panel might look something like the vertical pinstriped walls in the outpost (can't remember the name of the block off the top of my head).

Thank you for the suggestion.

7. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Must be those Outpost Walls?

8. simulatoralive

Does anyone around here know anything about making a place-able .matmod?

Basically, I want to make my trim blocks place-able over the top of foreground blocks, much like ores sit on top of foreground blocks. I'm not picky about what blocks they can be placed over.

I just need some advice on how to accomplish this.

Thank you.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  9. simulatoralive

Okay, here's what I'm planning to do for my trim material modifier (matmod). Just in case anybody else has a better idea.

I'm going to modify a mining tool (a drill, specifically) and reduce it's mining power to zero. I'm also going to make it stack-able, give it a durability of 1 (breaking after a single use) and change the icon so it looks like a trim block. I'll leave the handheld image as a drill until I find or make a new sprite for a trim-placing tool. Each will be made from one of the current trim blocks.

Now for the hard part (as I have no real experience with Lua so far), I'll attach a (hopefully) simple script to it that places the matmod version of trim over the top of an existing block. When the underlying block is mined, the trim matmod will drop a normal trim block.

Anybody see a better way of doing this?

Edit: Found a nasty issue with this idea. If you point the thing at a tree, it will use itself up. Erg. I'm going to have to make a custom tool that consumes trim blocks from inventory. And I don't know if that's even possible.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015
  10. simulatoralive

Heat Sinks, For Making Your Star Ship Cool

11. simulatoralive

Novakid Glowing Panel

12. Taiine

Taiine Pangalactic Porcupine

May I make a suggestion? Some of the walls the edges are really dark/black, perhaps lighten em up as they look a little out of place compared to the lighter borders of most of starbounds objects and even with other of your blocks.. Also a vertical version of your wall panels and color matching pipes would be nice. <3

Also a little confused as to how to use the trim blocks.. sense they are thinner then a normal block they don't fill a full space.. they cant be used in the background as it shows the well, background of the world through em, nor can they be placed on top sense there solid and also don't fill in the full space, so stuff 'hovers' on em.
    Was hoping to use them for the wall edges but the gap in it..
    http://i.imgur.com/QTF9fiK.png
    also corners! there proving to be a slight issue when doing my walls.
    http://i.imgur.com/LvAP9VM.png
    I'd love to see slope versions of the walls to avoid this oddity.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  13. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I've been following the progress of your mod and I'm rather impressed by it, even though it's not received much attention.

Anyway..

This is incorrect. "supermatter", also known as Erchius Crystal, glows in both Stable and Nightly versions.

Relevant JSON excerpt (from Stable assets):

Code:
      "renderParameters" : {
        "radiantLight" : [0.5, 0, 0.5]
      }

If it works like other light-producing JSON, each value is the balance of red, green and blue, and higher values mean light of greater intensity, so low values are needed for less intense lighting.

Inny likes this.
  14. Taiine

Yeah you can make blocks glow. I already edited the file for that wall (for personal use) and it glows very nice.

Now I want to see decorative light walls. :p

15. simulatoralive

Those dark borders are somewhat an intentional stylistic choice. I copied them from the backgrounds of the default Starbound ships, for the most part. They have quite dark borders.

Trim blocks are meant to be placed over the top of a Hull Plating background, so that the background appears to be the edge of the block.

I had hoped to turn Trim into a material modifier that can be placed in addition to existing blocks, much like grass sits on dirt or ore sits in dirt, but that's been more problematic than I hoped.

I plan to work on vertically striped Wall Panel today. I've been mulling over exactly how to make it look right. I think I figured that out in the past couple of days. I can see the image in my mind. I just have to try it out, which doesn't always look the same as my imagination.

Sloped versions are something I want as well, but it's a huge project I'm not sure when I'll tackle. Unfortunately, I'm running out of time for this project. I'm moving into a house I'm buying this week. Woo! And after I move I was planning to immerse myself in Terraria again (the 1.3 update is something I've been waiting for with baited breath).

Color matching pipes for all... Hrm. I'll have to think on that.

Sweet! I didn't know that. I'll get right on it and do a bug fix. Man, I wish I'd known that one sooner. It's something I would have used. I'll make Ship Engine Blocks glow, too. I always wanted them to glow.

Now I want to make the Gemspark Blocks from Terraria. Those would be so useful!

As for this mod not getting much attention, that's probably because it's only about a month old. On the other hand, I'm amazed at how much attention it has gotten. It's already in the first page of Top Mods for the Crafting & Building category. That one made me really happy.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2015
  16. Taiine

One thing you could do is make a ceiling and floor version for slopes. So the opposite side of both is still 'blocky' so it aligns with other ground tiles still.

17. simulatoralive

And that would be the main reason I have't as of yet. Too much work for so little effect. Duplicating every single block to make the rivet-less versions was a pain. I spent an entire night working on that one when I wanted to be doing something more fun. And this would be twice as much work.

The art side of that project would be enjoyable. I've got an idea on how to diagonally apply the shiny stripes from the top of the blocks. I would enjoy working that one out. It's the mind-numbing editing of so many text files afterward that always gets to me.

To be honest, I'm not going to make sloped blocks before I run off to play Terraria. I will probably come back to this project at some point in the future after that, just because this has been fun to work on. But I know me and Terraria. It will be months. Sorry.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  18. simulatoralive

Glowing Blocks Now...Glow!

19. simulatoralive

Gemspark, For Your Mood Lighting Needs

20. simulatoralive