1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Coloured Blocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Choose which ones you'd be ok with.

1. Different coloured blocks are stored in different inventory slots.

238 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, default coloration

44 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, planet coloration

240 vote(s)
    51.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

I know I know. It's not the same thing.
    Edit: plus as we all know, the paint tool can only do a limited recreation of what would be possible.

2. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

What's with you two being wrong all the time, it's like you're trying to be as wrong as possible. Well you're succeeding, that's for sure ;D
    Also my post contained "Say "no I would have hated it" all you want, but you're wrong. Yep." for this reason, because I predicted how wrong you were going to be.
    Wrong.
    Wrong wrong wrong.
    All your opinions are wrong, please try to be more right like me in the future

3. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

You'd save yourself and everyone else time and effort if you just shortened your posts to "you're wrong". Saying it multiple times doesn't really add any content. In fact, saying it once doesn't really add anything either. The first few times I found it kinda funny and cute, but now I just keep wondering "why are you even here"?

4. Symphony

I have to keep saying it, no one seems to understand

5. Syze00

Syze00 Title Not Found

a better question would be why does the poll equal 113.5% when you add up all the answers?

6. Symphony

I think because you're able to vote for multiple options, and the percentage is probably based on the users, not the votes

7. DeadlyLuvdisc

Well yeah. It's impossible to understand things that don't make sense.

Trying to imagine Option #1 being better than Option #3 is like trying to imagine a four-sided triangle.

JK, this is definitely a preference issue. Like I mentioned before, it's pragmatism vs idealism, and both are important so you need to find a way to preserve both and keep the balance. The reason why both sides can make well-reasoned arguments and still not budge the other side is because it's like we're arguing over which fruit is better: apples or oranges. While you can bring up all sorts of nutritional data, surveys, recipes, etc... That evidence will never be able to change a person's own taste buds. Then again, oranges are totally better than apples. I do like the flavor of apples more, but let's just be honest: Oranges are superior. In the same way, Option #3 is just way better than Option #1, and you'll just have to learn to accept that.

You don't respect my OCD personal reasons for choosing Option #3.
    Why should I respect your OCD personal reasons for choosing Option #1?

Why not just fix the paint tool so that it isn't so limited?
    I mean, if the game can already procedurally recolor the dirt, why not have the paint tool work the same way?
    Really, I can't understand why the artists are manually recoloring tiles one by one.

Gene likes this.
  8. Symphony

Everyone siding for option 3 is just trolling now. Comon, y'all can't be serious, this is getting ridiculous. There's no other explanation.

9. DeadlyLuvdisc

Well, Luvdiscs do occasionally live in the streams under bridges, and I do really enjoy goat meat.

Symphony likes this.
  10. Symphony

I love you though, you know that right? I want you dead for siding with option 3, but besides this argument I love you.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  11. Affero

Affero Contributor

We're still in the lead George! :up:

12. lyrael_rayne

lyrael_rayne Big Damn Hero

I really wanted to go with #3 because inventory management is a drag, but I really like the idea of being able to dig up a chunk of a world I like the look of and make a small version of it on my homeworld and 10 paint colours doesn't really achieve that.

13. CookingApple

CookingApple Subatomic Cosmonaut

Option 1: Assuming we get a way to "purify" them for easier storage.

14. joaovitorbf

joaovitorbf Space Penguin Leader

NUMBER THREE! :D

15. I'm going for a combination of 1 and 3 which will solve the inventory issues withouth limiting creativity in a way that makes sense in the Starbound world. I mentioned this quite a while ago, and I like my idea enough to mention it again...

What if you kept the dirt color true to the planet it came from, so when you dig up a blue dirt it's always blue (even on another planet), but you had a machine that changed the properties of the dirt, so it was able to mirror the first piece of dirt it came in contact with. I would call this machine the M.U.D. Manipulator or M.U.D. Maker. I imagine this machine to be similar to a stove, where you can place stacks of the same color dirt and manipulate it into M.U.D. (Molecularly Undefined Dirt). The M.U.D. Manipulator would require fuel, but you would gain the advantage to stack different color dirt into M.U.D. stacks, and the M.U.D. would be capable of terraforming any planet that has dirt. I'm not sure if this should be an early game machine or available after a certain tier. My gut is telling me it should be available later in the game, so players would have to earn the ability to stack different colors of dirt. I think the icon for M.U.D. should look something like a dirty crystal cube? I dunno, that's just my idea. I don't know how difficult this idea would be code wise either.

At the end of the day, I don't want dirt filling up my inventory, but I don't want my purplr dirt from Epox Z Alpha turning green when I put it down on Mondolvia XY29. It just doesn't make sense to me. This way people have to earn a tool that will help their storage in a way that explains why the dirt magically changes to match the planets color. This may be a bit dorky and not the most useful tool, but it's a little detail that will allow deeper immersion into this Scifi world.

Walross likes this.
  16. PurpleSquirel43

PurpleSquirel43 Pangalactic Porcupine

I like number 1, always a fan of huge, neatly kept storage rooms.

17. sollybanana

sollybanana Orbital Explorer

Definately Number 1!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.