1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Cant Scan Items Into the 3D Printer

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by CiberX15, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

From my experience, seeds did show up a few updates back. Now it is nothing. Same with the spawners. So for those items it is not completely setup.

Mostly furniture can be scanned, this includes chests. As someone mentioned, some chests do scan, but instead of going into the 3D printer, actually go to the crafting table or similar to be crafted. Usually the ones with a matching schematic/blueprint.

That 3D scanner does get crowded though with all those items, it is no wonder they put the search function in, even if that is a bit glitched sometimes. doubles up on letters sometimes. Right now It is mainly for building. Hopefully in the future more will be added and fixed.

I think there has to be a recipe file for each as well beyond the value in the original file. That might explain the first part though. could be the recipes are either missing, with original tagged with printable true, or tagged false but have a recipe for them. Possibility, as I am only guessing that is how it works. Since you do need a recipe for each item to show up in any crafting interface. The 3D-printer is technically a crafting interface.

2. Camelslayer

Camelslayer Cosmic Narwhal

As I understand, the only things you're allowed to scan are decorative items, such as doors, furniture, etc.
    Maybe some other garbage.

3. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

well there is clearly some issues even with "decorative items " . for example the bunker vent found in prisons has a pixel value and is listed in the wiki under item values for the 3d printer however it will not scan and cannot be printed. there are many others more than i can list that have similar issues

4. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

On-topic, is this even still a problem anymore? Have you tried the unstable branch? (Not the nightly branch)

Finn Learson likes this.
  5. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

yes it is most definitely still a problem

and as i said earlier it boils down to the fact that apparently the scanner relies on a static list of scan-able items.

which is STUPID.

as long as an item has a set pixel value it should be scan-able and there is no reason why the printer cannot figure this out by it's self using a simple logic statement to build the recipe list as it goes after the entire inventory system is nothing but a dynamically generated list of assets that consists of both the packed file and any mods that have a valid modinfo.

which again i want to point out that a dynamically generated list of scanned items based on preset pixel values would open all mod added decorations to be scanned as long as they have value. all that is needed for printing is the item's id and it's pixel value. you cant scan generated weapons or tools any way so those randomly rolled attributes are not a factor. additionally if the the main issue is the fact that a recipe file is needed for the printer than that can also be generated fairly easily on the fly using the item id and the pixel value as the input and output. simply have a recipe folder under the players id that these generated recipes are dumped in

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

Ah, but what about npc spawners? Being able to print them would be too easy.

7. mikeloeven

mikeloeven Big Damn Hero

not at all just give them an obscenely large pixel value maby like 100k or something

8. MrJellyFish

MrJellyFish Big Damn Hero

(starbound.wikia) /wiki/List_of_3D_Printable_Objects List of All Printable objects via the 3D Printer. Bug: Spawners cannot be used in a 3D Printer, but will be scanned and lost.

9. Fruiteyes

Fruiteyes Phantasmal Quasar

I can't scan anything into the 3D Printer now. Nothing whatsoever. I've checked the list of 3D printable objects posted above, and all of the objects I've tried scanning are printable. The 3D Printer shows a non-zero pixel value for scanning it, also proving that the items can be scanned. I have enough pixels to scan the item. Yet, when I click on the scan button, nothing happens. I've checked, and none of the items have been previously scanned, so that isn't the issue. This only recently started happening; a week ago I could scan just fine. I haven't changed any mods since then, I've had the same set of mods for over two months now. Any idea what might be causing this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.