RELEASED Automate *

Connect machines and chests to automate them.

1. Spice_Dandy

Spice_Dandy Void-Bound Voyager

I've been getting the error where the game starts to lag/ stutter and then crash. Game runs for about an hour before the bug sets in, see timestamp 40:15 for error. While I have custom farming installed I don't have any of those machines set-up. so I' don't think it has anything to do with that.

Attached Files:

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

That will be supported in a future version. :)

Does it happen if you remove Custom Farming temporarily?

• Spice_Dandy

Spice_Dandy Void-Bound Voyager

I removed Custom Farming and it didn't crash after 2 hours, so I think that solved the issue.

Love the mod.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

• Rubii

Rubii Aquatic Astronaut

any eta on the 'future version' with more options for large/complex factories ?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Rubii I'm working on SMAPI 2.0 and updating affected mods through October 2017, then updating SMAPI for the anticipated Stardew Valley 1.3 multiplayer beta (which we're expecting to be the biggest code update so far). Once the beta is released, I'll be free to start another big project like Automate transport pipes.

tl;dr: early 2018 at the earliest unless someone else contributes to the code first.

• Constance

Constance Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If I'm looking at the codes right, Automate is already working like it has a pipe system. You have coded the current system IPipe to handle the I/Os stuff already.

All it needs is a customizing connection/grouping system between groups of machines and chest(s) regardless how far apart they are (and be fed into the IPipe)?

Sorry if this seems like a noob question, I'm kinda new to Stardew modding, but not to programming. And I actually feel like I want to experiment with this (since I'm impatient).

I do really like the overlay system, the first thing I would do is to see if the overlay works and that it automatically shows the existing connection between machines and chest before making new I/O group connections, or making buildings an I/O. So a part of me wonder if you already code something basic like just showing the viable machines and chests on screen by a press of a button, unless the example images are image-edited?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Constance Yep, your assessment is correct. There's no overlay yet, the images were just mockups of how it might look.

Constance likes this.
                • Constance

Constance Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm, then I'm not really sure where to start on the UI Overlay. I might be overthinking it though. I guess I could start on the logic of cheking all viable machines on screen.

But funny enough I would be clueless to method of coloring the screens, the coding on the UI designs itself since I know that's not a smapi thing... Unless there are methods that was documented and I've missed.

If I think it's as simple as I like to think the code is, I would add/recolor layer of black and white over the background then recolor on top of it for only the viable I/Os like as it cut out holes in the layer.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Yep, that's close. Recoloring is tricky, but a dark overlay is easy. The approach I'm considering involves creating a new IClickableMenu for the overlay which has a semi-transparent black background and redraws machines/chests over it. This would need to support movement (so you can pan around the location); Robin's carpenter menu might be a good example to look at.

Constance likes this.
                    • msg45f

msg45f Void-Bound Voyager

Really looking forward to piping features, as that was a major feature in CJB Automation.
                      Any plans to implement autocollection of animal products inside their barn/coop? (This was a feature in CJ:cool:

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Unfortunately, I won't be able to update to SMAPI 2.0 then, because Automate, as good as it is, simply does NOT have the functionality that farm.automate had. With farm.automate, I could automate an entire shed of brewing kegs or preserves jars with a single input/output chest. This functionality is entirely absent in Automate. So is the functionality of being able to auto-harvest animal crops (such as eggs and milk) and automate them as well (Chest inside barn adjacent to row of cheese presses).

In other words, Automate has NONE of the functionality of farm.automate that I actually employed.

This isn't aimed at you, I fully understand time management, and just how big this project is. If anything, beginning of the year seems a bit optimistic to me as the 1.3 update is going to be MASSIVE. However, as farm.automate is being depreciated (and again, I'm not saying it shouldn't be), and the only alternative is Automate, which has zero functionality I desire at the moment, then I'm just going to sit on 1.5.4 a bit longer until an alternative presents itself.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@ShneekeyTheLost That's understandable. FarmAutomation.ItemCollector is open-source if someone wants to update it. As for Automate, I have a couple of updates for you:
                          • We're making progress on transport pipes thanks to contributions by another modder, but that won't be released before SMAPI 2.0.
                          • You can already automate milking with Advanced Machines. Since that mod puts the milk in a chest, it'll work with Automate too if you want to set up a factory. I don't know of any alternative for shearing, though. I do plan to support animal produce in Automate directly, but that'll happen after transport pipes.

• SenorLoanShark

SenorLoanShark Void-Bound Voyager

TIL that if you want a low-grade version of transport pipes chests will feed inputs from one another but the output will still only be dumped in the nearest chest

• Ichimatsu

Ichimatsu Pangalactic Porcupine

I updated SMAPI to 2.0 following the message in the console only to realize item collector won't work and I'm left with ugly 3x3 structures and chests everywhere in order to collect from Crab Pots :( Hope I can downgrade SMAPI and no mods require 2.0 from here up until 2018 where apparently the pipe system will be worked on. The mockup overlay looks nice, though.

• Xuomi

Xuomi Phantasmal Quasar

@Ichimatsu If you want to downgrade SMAPI then go to the latest releases and scroll down until you see the previous release version or the version you were using before 2.0. Follow the installation instructions.

As for mods, just don't update any of them. I am in the same boat as you and have not downloaded SMAPI 2.0 until Automate can fully replace Item Collector.

• Ichimatsu

Ichimatsu Pangalactic Porcupine

@Xuomi Yes. I did just that. Now back to waiting. I've been waiting for multiplayer for a long time so waiting a bit longer for mods doesn't seem that bad in retrospective, lol.

• Focean

Focean Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello, I've recently started your mod and I think it is amazing that I do not have to put in so much effort to get everything done. But I'd like to ask if it's possible to give it a bigger area of effect so that it doesn't only work for machines that are in contact with the chests, have it that as long as the machines are in a line within the chests, the system still works.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

@Focean The next version might have machine chaining (i.e. the range covers all machines touching each other).

Focean and ShneekeyTheLost like this.
                                      • ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

If I can get machine chaining, I will be completely satisfied in making the switch from farm.automate. It was the primary feature I'd really miss.