Elevators

Discussion in 'Gear and Items' started by Keeper, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Greetings, Starbounders.

I could not find a thread about this topic and my Search option is acting weird so I apologise in advance if something like this already exists.

After having seen the building demo, another thought that occurred to me is to have elevators in game. I believe platform-elevators could work well in a sci-fi environment. Take a look at this video, from around 4:57 up to 5:15, which pretty much shows the concept.

It could also be taken one step further and the platforms could be able to move diagonally and horizontally as well, depending on how the player built the trajectory.

In my view, a few things would be required:
    - The "rails", i.e., the area the elevator would travel through. There would be two "checkpoints", each one in opposite ends of the click+drag rail.
    - The platform-elevator itself, which would travel between checkpoints.

How it would work:
    - Clicking "Use/Interact" on a Checkpoint would make the platform travel to its opposite Checkpoint.
    (If the platform is on Checkpoint B and you click Checkpoint A, the platform would travel to Checkpoint A.
    If the platform is on Checkpoint A and you click Checkpoint A, the platform would travel to B.)
    - Clicking "Use/Interact" on the Elevator would have the same effect.

---

Thanks for reading. Let me know what you guys think. :alien:

2. Ricola

Ricola Void-Bound Voyager

But could you make something as complicated and awesome as the glass elevator from Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory?

3. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

it maybe complex, but little elbow grease in it it might rub into the game good for supporting mechs, vehicles, group arm bio/cyber/soldiers, or unleashing ur pets if I recall Zen'Rk...err...nvm about the pets <.<

4. Boilingpoint

Boilingpoint Void-Bound Voyager

I would love elevators in the game (for my underground base). A special Elevator-Rail-Background would be cool too.

FrozenOrange likes this.
  5. Buccee

Buccee Title Not Found

Yeah elevators... i wish i had them in all the game where you can dig deeper and deeper. :)

6. Ricola

Ricola Void-Bound Voyager

What about several checkpoints for multiple destinations? Could you make 30 storie buildings and outfit them with elevators that visit all 30 floors? What happens if a peice of the track is destroyed?

7. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

Havoc and Keeper like this.
  8. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

I hope that there will be elevators on the game.

9. Roxie Stables

Roxie Stables Parsec Taste Tester

Ok I really love this idea and I do kind of hope that elevators will be put in game, but I have to ask; will there be creepy elevator music? If so this will make it all so much better.

10. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

I really hope they add them. No futuristic mining colony is complete without elevators.

Keeper likes this.
  11. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Elevator thread *Mechanics*:
    I think elevators should be in the game, without elevators it would not seem right for Starbound imo.

Keeper likes this.
  12. Senego Trainz

Senego Trainz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Elevators are a very good idea, but why stop with technology from the past.
    How about gravity elevators, simple shafts in which gravity is controlled to point either up or downwards. With such elevators nobody would have to wait until the cabin arrives, you just fling yourself in.
    That concept would also make it an ideal basis for a deadly trap :)

Made a mockup, all needed here is a emitter and receiver with a simple control for up/down, slow/medium/fast at the wall.

[​IMG]

13. Shanjaisolen

Shanjaisolen Pangalactic Porcupine

I would really love elevators! The 'rail' would of course be built into a wall :p

Keeper likes this.
  14. ChaoticGamer

ChaoticGamer Master Astronaut

...hmmm....can it carefully bring a tank slow up on top to the tower? It would be nice idea to use it in PVP.

Camz likes this.
  15. Assassinsillusion

Assassinsillusion Starship Captain

If you use a elevator like that why not use teleporter pads that are interconnected so you just get on then voila you show up at the other end.

16. Senego Trainz

Senego Trainz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Simply because that would be a different concept.
    A simple elevator transports an object on a predefined vector allowing to leave the path at infinite points (decks, levels, doors, height).
    It takes time and regardless of the technology used, does not alter the object transported. In comparison a teleporter or transmitter, is propably a zero-time effect and dissolves the object and rematerializes it at the predefined destination.
    That seems vastly more complicated in level and application. Also it would not allow arbitrary exits, and requires complex inputs prior to transport. When establishing transmitters into the game elevators would still be the better, simple solution for a simple problem.

You could as well ask why fighter jets have not replace cars yet. That said - i very much hope there will be transmitters in Starbound ;)

DeadlyLuvdisc and Keeper like this.
  17. Phantomhearts

Phantomhearts Phantasmal Quasar

Ok why havent fighter jets replaced cars?

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  18. Fill783

Fill783 Void-Bound Voyager

This would be a great thing to add to the game, as well as the ideas for gravity and teleportation based elevators, it would be nice to have a way to go from floor to floor faster.

Keeper likes this.
  19. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

Did anyone ever play 'Tiny Tower'? If the mechanics of that game were applied here, one could step inside an elevator and simply hold up/down to go to the floor you want. Also, this idea sideways would be trains/subways. I think both would add really cool methods of getting around your planets, but I'd like the cost to be somewhat prohibitive so that it holds some 'prestige'

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  20. The game as an Wired System.

Things like elevators and such can be expanded from it. It's a good idea.

Wired needs: Sensors, Activators, effects, and Conditions. All that kind of items when used in combination can make awesome things. But it needs more interactive items.