Havoc's suggestions: Quick travel

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Havoc, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Havoc

Havoc Subatomic Cosmonaut

Given how much Starbound has been inspired by the old classics, how about adding in pipes as a quick travel mechanism?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'd love to be able to set up a network on my homeworld that can help me get around quickly.

2. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

I don't think pipes would be good, but rather portals or transporters, but other then that good idea! A fast travel system would be cool :D

Frost&Frogs and nomotog like this.
  3. Havoc

A pipe network would definitely be a lot more work to set up than teleporters. But part of my brain just likely the sheer 'physicality' of travelling throung a pipe. Even Mario had pipes!

xboy777, Auraknight and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  4. A.N.T.I.

A.N.T.I. Spaceman Spiff

Yes but in a futuristic space game, pipes aren't very rellevant.

5. JOndra91

JOndra91 Void-Bound Voyager

Do you really think that? If yes, then watch Futurama.. :D

xboy777, Auraknight and Havoc like this.
  6. nomotog

nomotog Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Pipes, transporters or strange biological worm. It's still a good idea.

Casimir likes this.
  7. Havoc

Thanks, I've added in a Futurama screenshot to my original post.

8. Deathend

Deathend Pangalactic Porcupine

i was thinkink to ask for teleportation pods, when you build then you get two units already linked, and you only need to place them were you want them. it could be a good, easy and clean fast transport, could work like the magic mirror in terraria but two ways and as furniture placed

9. Ethric

Ethric Phantasmal Quasar

Nydus Worm from Starcraft much?

But this would be interesting. The player can set up outpost-like structures and use them to fast travel to existing outposts. But in certain planets, worm transporters should be found on the planet, teleporting the player around the world.

nababoo likes this.
  10. Zman12380

Zman12380 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I would say what people said and say that there should be teleporters instead of pipes, still, good idea.
    Off topic: I almost got a heart attack of nostalgia when i saw the Jezz Jack Rabbit picture of the second world of the first mission in the first game.

11. DeadlyLuvdisc

DeadlyLuvdisc Oxygen Tank

I think it would be very convenient to have telepad/beacon items which you could place like furniture. You could use them to port back to the space station/transport ship. If you had more than one on the same world, you could choose between which one you would like to go to from the ship. Therefore, if you had one on each end of the map, you could just beam up to the ship and then back down on the other side of the planet. It could even act as a spawn point.

I'd ALSO like to have fast travel pipes. You could use them as elevators while mining, and make intricate and challenging dungeons with puzzles that use the pipes. It could be a very nifty thing to have in your base. They would be more for short-distances rather than long distance travel. Perhaps pipes could be less expensive to produce to compensate for the extra work of placing all the pieces. I think the pipes should go in the background or foreground in some way that does not obscure vision, like if they are transparent.

12. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

oh, knowing me, i'll set one of these up in an infinit loop,
    watching ALL the creepers falling forever whist i look from the safety of my house.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  13. DeadlyLuvdisc

Yikes, now it seems like a pretty easy thing to exploit... but short range teleporters would be the same? I'd just use them to reproduce elevators and doors from Metroid games, or to make a world where everything is connected only by pipes. So many pipes!

Auraknight likes this.
  14. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

exploitable or not, i still want a traped falling creeper, so he can see me laugh at his misfortune.
    make a shooting gallery out of this, mobs fall in, and forever fall, and i shot them for target practice

15. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

I just want transport pipes.... one big one leading straight from the mines to the factory...
    I will then have a pipe leading to an area for easy item collection for transport back to the station.

16. Both teleportation and pipes would be nice to see -- one for leisure moving, the other for hardcore industrial processes (respectively).

17. Active Link

Active Link Master Astronaut

If pipes are bad, how about transporters that look like pipes? Then it really would be like super mario bros.

DeadlyLuvdisc and nababoo like this.
  18. DeadlyLuvdisc

I do not like the idea of materials such as blocks or crafting materials being harvested/moved/refined via pipes, because I don't think more automation is needed. Pumps would be good for liquids, however, since picking up buckets of liquid is such a pain.

The way I imagine pipes working is like in Futurama. Not for hardcore industrial processes.

EDIT:
    That sounds like it is best left for a mod. Call it something like Mariobound.

19. Mr. Mistah

Mr. Mistah Phantasmal Quasar

How about for harvesting and mining there should be a farming or mining station to organize and transport the minerals/plants to the base? Instead of using them for just any kind of transportation.

20. bounding star

bounding star Existential Complex

If that's so, why did portal have pipes for transport?
    image.jpg

DeadlyLuvdisc and nababoo like this.