Elevators

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by St Fonz, Jun 18, 2012.

1. St Fonz

St Fonz Existential Complex

I used the search function and it appears as if no-one has suggested this.

Would it be possible to implement an elevator system. Please see below for my blueprints (lol.)

Untitled444.jpg

Now, I see the shaft as a placeable object, with the ability of extending the shaft by placing another above/below. Next comes the elevator itself. As you can see there is nothing special about it, just a square you can walk into. The lever can be flicked up or down making the elevator move to the next door (marked in green).

The last piece to the elevator is the doors, they will be placeable on the desired floors (In the above case, all of them). The only other thing I can suggest is some good ol' elevator music, to possibly play softly over the BGM.

Please give me your feedback. Don't bother mentioning the spelling errors in the blueprint, I'm aware :laugh: cbf changing it.

ANOTHER THOUGHT- Escalators

OK so I was going to post a new thread but it is fairly similar to this so I will just update.

With stairs having been announced and shown off, I would love to see the implementation of escalators. I know this again doesn't scream 'practicality' but its always nice to have these options for complex structures.

This picture is something I hastily put together so forgive the crumb factor.
    escalator.png
    Pretty straightforward. This would also open up conveyor-belts and other lazy man (Or rich man) contraptions.

Thanks for reading ^^

fkjac, Bullmen, xWild WarPig and 21 others like this.
  2. Hap818

Hap818 Pangalactic Porcupine

Elevators would be really useful in complex building

fkjac, Saxor, AIex and 1 other person like this.
  3. Flarehawk

Flarehawk Scruffy Nerf-Herder

The only thing I would say is to change the way it's controlled; instead of levers, it has a keypad that gets additional buttons added to it as the shaft is expanded and more exits are placed. Then, you could make it so that certain floors could be locked, and require a key of some kind to access.

Like a secret underground testing facility, or a military base.

fkjac, Reko, Zoidberg and 2 others like this.
  4. R_C_A^

R_C_A^ Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh yes please. :rofl: This would make building underground facilities so much easier. :)

AIex likes this.
  5. St Fonz

I was thinking this, but can you really put something that complex in a 2D sidescroller? The lever seemed like the most 2D friendly mechanism, correct me if I'm wrong.

fkjac likes this.
  6. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm pretty sure it won't be a problem to add something like pop-up window with the passcode panel in it, when you click the panel in the lift cabin

DeadlyLuvdisc and XRiZUX like this.
  7. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

I was going to say the same thing, but he already said it lol. Yes I think this would be awesome. :)

This game needs elevators for sure. :p

8. plaYer2k

plaYer2k Pangalactic Porcupine

I think the most practical approach would be to control elevators like "Mounts".

One player takes control over the elevator and then he/she is the only person able to choose a direction.
    Then by using either "W/Up" or "S/Down" the elevator ascends or descends one block/tile. Holding a key results in fluent movement in one direction.

The whole thing with locked levels should be done by placing lockable doors in my opinion, so that its a separate item.

That way you have more control over the elevator which is good for mining since you can stop at any depth and dig out of the elevator.
    On the other hand it requires you to stop at a specific elevation to "hit the right level".

Alternatively you could add an approach to control the target elevation by using your mouse. So the elevaror moves to where you clicked with your mouse, this works fast and fluently.

fkjac, Mr. Mistah and Amarth like this.
  9. Amarth

Amarth Industrial Terraformer

Yep, i think these are great ideas!

How about those diagonal platform industrial elevators for like launching spacecraft from underground and/or getting down deep from the surface with a vehicle or mount ??

10. kidnamerock

kidnamerock Big Damn Hero

elvators could be a key escape plan if ur on a server and someone raids u
    since stairs are slower

11. LightHoof

LightHoof Pangalactic Porcupine

Nah , stairs are faster IRL, especially downwards )
    P.S. : You men HELLEVATOR, didn't you ? :rofl:

kidnamerock likes this.
  12. XxRedhoundxX

XxRedhoundxX Aquatic Astronaut

Very interesting. This could be a nice addition for certain buildings. (Wish I had one for my 24-floor Skyscraper in Terraria, I have all the NPCs in it and a bunch of aesthetic rooms :p )

13. ZTS

ZTS Void-Bound Voyager

Need elevators... bad... I hate stairs. Too much movement :p.

14. kidnamerock

kidnamerock Big Damn Hero

nope i meant elevator wat if the enemie thats chasing u has low speed

15. Kenichi

Kenichi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yes, Elevators, for the love of god, please!

I can't name how many times i've played sandboxes and been irked by the fact i need to gimmick my way back to the surface after digging a hole to china.

Support!

XRiZUX, Mr. Mistah and fspc like this.
  16. fspc

fspc Space Hobo

I really want this in game :)))

17. centor111

centor111 Cosmic Narwhal

They will probably make it since tarraria had ladders and platforms and this is a high tech game either that or telepads

18. St Fonz

Terraria had ladders? This is news to me o.o

Thanks for all the support guys!

XRiZUX and bounding star like this.
  19. Kenichi

Kenichi Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't think it did?

It may be slipping me though, haha

20. Zailiner

Zailiner Over 9000!!!

The only flaw with elevators, are that it can only go up, or down at once.
    (eg. one person needs to go up while the other needs to go down)

Also, you would need for it to get down to your level before you can actually use it.
    I reckon they would only be efficient for traveling great depths, otherwise ladders would
    be the superior choice.