1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why im highly disapointed about the team from Starbound

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by leonD, May 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Argthrond

Argthrond Oxygen Tank

Making a game is not easy as you think, some problems can happen.

Beta_Nebula likes this.
  2. Sadron

Sadron Ketchup Robot

It's nothing but entitled bitching.

3. Dr Fury

Dr Fury Orbital Explorer

OP I do agree with you in some aspect, and another thing is never try to give your opinion on here on the forums because all these fanboys will just throw stones at you just because they don't agree with you or don't care about what you have to say.

WhiteMousse likes this.
  4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

And we are highly disappointed in you, OP.

5. Beta_Nebula

Beta_Nebula Guest

That's not what's happening here at all. Maybe you should actually read some of the posts folks like Bacon have been writing to try and tell you exactly why it's been taking so long. Surely, you have time to do that, since it's taking sooooo long for the game to come out.

6. Hoth

Hoth Starship Captain

Well, I don't appreciate someone being "highly disappointed" with a team who has brought us nightly updates and tons of information, but still complaining that they don't have a beta/release date yet.

Beta_Nebula likes this.
  7. Pentarctagon

Pentarctagon Over 9000!!!

Meanwhile, instead of complaining about a game not being out, I'm playing other games I enjoy while I wait.

8. DarkZombie

DarkZombie Title Not Found

This fat cat here does not mind waiting for a tasty meal.

I can make a simple toasted cheese sandwich in 5 minutes,
    I can also make a delicious beef lasagne in an hour.

Which is more filling and tastier... Lasagne!!! (Drooling)

Starbound is taking time to be made for a good reason.
    The developers want to release a game that my mind will find tasty and filling.
    Mmmmm!
    Starbound!

9. Xilitu

Xilitu Industrial Terraformer

something that the Dev's need to really make clear is what they need for the release and not just be like " oh this would be cool lets add it" and it would just pile up more and more features and dates being pushed. something you need when making a game is a set amount of stuff to reach and if you reached it before a Dev date you can add more stuff. saying 2013 just gives them a lot of wiggle room to add more stuff which is good and bad and i do hope they do have like a date only they know of so they have something to work to and not just keep adding stuff and pushing it

WhiteMousse likes this.
  10. Dr Fury

Dr Fury Orbital Explorer

I did read every post and maybe you should learn how to read also, did I say I agree entirely? No I say in some "aspects" of what he say. I don't care how long it will take, i already pre-order it and just waiting , like other have said "it will be ready when it's ready".

11. Beta_Nebula

Beta_Nebula Guest

You also said that most of us were just "fanboys" who will bash anyone who dares criticize the devs. That's not true at all. Most of the replies to this post have been well thought out and meaningful. You, on the other hand, are just casting blanket accusations.

12. Mad Dok Edvaardz

Mad Dok Edvaardz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey buddy, have you ever tried (or made) a game before? You have to realize that they have to plan out the system, make the codes, make sure everything works, make the actual graphics, stick it together, make sure it works, tune it up, iron out glitches, add new feature to increase its use, blah blah blah.
    My point is, it take time to make a good game. So stop your whining of "Boohoo! I'ts not out yet, and they have only said 2013 to be the release date!", we get enough of these threads daily.
    It will be finished, when it is finished.

EDIT: Also, about the release date, the Dev team are not bloomin' psychics, they don't know when it will be finished and have put the release date of "2013" so that they cannot be bashed again for it not arriving on time.
    Also, this seems like an attention-grab to me.

Beta_Nebula likes this.
  13. Dr Fury

Dr Fury Orbital Explorer

Ok first of all I didn't say the "fanboys" will criticize anyone who bashes the Devs, I was talking about people opinion. Anyways back on topic, OP just wait till is ready, kill time by playing something else and just have fun. The beta will be ready before you know it.

14. Immortal

Immortal Pangalactic Porcupine

Estimating time intervals for when complex projects are completed is much harder than most people would guess until they actually worked on such a project themselves.

As a rule of thumb, if you're inexperienced in making a time estimate take your initial seemingly realistic estimate and triple that, then you'll usually be close within a year if we're talking sufficiently complex projects.
    Usually inexperienced ones start by doing a rough outline of the features a game needs to ship with and then they try to estimate how long every feature will take to be implemented. This method sucks big time however.
    I totally understand how a release game for a game can be wrong by a year or more.

If you were a first time game developer how could you possibly guess your own release date correctly? The only reasonable guesstimate is actually looking at other similarly complex games with similarly large
    and experienced teams and taking their timeline as roughly realistic. If you're really good and experienced, your initial guess may be off by + (rarely -) 6 months.
    If you're an inexperienced game developer however, who isn't even working full time on the project you will fail at your first estimates. You later estimates will really only be better if you adopt the method ruthlessly -
    don't try to imagine how long the individual sub-goals of your ultimate goal will take you, just look at how long it took you (or a similar project that other people did) in the past (maybe with a bit of experience discounting).

So quit your bitching, you couldn't possibly do those estimates better and the developers are doing a bang up job, especially now that we're seeing their progress detailed in short daily updates.
    The game is shaping up to be really good, I'm happy for the developers and extrapolating the rate they are currently going at with one eye to the (outdated) road-map I think beta somewhere in summer and release in late autumn or winter is reasonable.

PS: That said I think it's possible the developers did themselves a disservice by announcing Starbound too early and afterwards rarely if ever came out with updates until very recently. I remember a time when every 3 or 4 months I was like "what was that godamn game I was interested in called again?" if I then actually happened to remember it (or bothered googling for "next Terraria") I first visited the wrong website ("starbound.com" obviously, which has nothing to do with Starbound our game) and then, finally arriving at playstarbound.com was disappointed that there weren't any news for months and months on end. Very frustrating I must say.

Dagorran and Gentlemanly Shark like this.
  15. Kail4012

Kail4012 Subatomic Cosmonaut

1.I've said it before and I'll say it again. Pre-Ordering only applies to what you've paid for.
    2.Many people have said the game will be ready in 2013.
    3.Whilst I respect your opinion I people should be considering that a lot needs to go into a game for it to work and that if it doesn't live up to what the community wants it'll become another game that everybody forgets the day after. Whilst you may want it now like everyone else you can't demand it. If you do it'll just turn out rushed and bug-ridden.

The company seemed to be damned if they do and damned if they don't.
    Read this thread it was pretty much covered to death already: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/my-hype-is-dying.20967/

(A while ago one of the devs said on IRC that the Hype is dying thread was one that Tiy had read, which is not exactly a great motivator now is it?)

16. Beta_Nebula

Beta_Nebula Guest

Saying you don't entirely agree with the op doesn't magically undo everything you said. You did, in fact, say exactly that.

17. Dr Fury

Dr Fury Orbital Explorer

Ok whatever when you learn how to read then please lets have a civilize conversation, and please stop quoting me you are just proving my point.

18. Xilitu

Xilitu Industrial Terraformer

getting a bit out of hand now isn't it ? and hopefully the dev's have a "in house" Date to release trailer , beta ect so they wont just add stuff and keep adding stuff which is good and bad

19. Hebi

Hebi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I don't get this argument, we have a roadmap, daily updates and the devs stated they were cutting off features a long time ago, the stretch goals were being done by a separate team and you guys are still worried about feature creep?

20. Beta_Nebula

Beta_Nebula Guest

Okay, let's look at your reply again.
    You've continually tried to deny this, but you already said you agreed.
    Oh, looks like you're not fond of "civil" discussions at all!
    OH LOOK, YOU DID CALL EVERYONE FANBOYS.

And here's EXACTLY WHERE you accused everone of just "throwing stones".

Maybe you're the one who needs to learn to read. And if you wanted a civil conversation, you shouldn't have started off with such a rude post. If you're not polite, why am I supposed to be?

Kail4012, Gorshum and Cynical_Wolf like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.