1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound Nightly Beta Findings or Interesting Things

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by phillip2001, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]

lightings bugged or flashlight buffed
    you deside

Serenity likes this.
  2. spiritofcat

spiritofcat Big Damn Hero

Wow, it's like an X-Ray Flashlight!

Serenity likes this.
  3. FrostyAvo

FrostyAvo Void-Bound Voyager

Flashlight has always been a bit overpowered in my opinion, you can use it to light dark rooms through 1-2 block thick walls and check for ores underground.

4. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

I meant their mineral shapes (when you haven't dug them out yet). Violum has the same shape as the Core Fragment Ore and Uranium and Plutonium look slightly different. Also, the Platinum ore in your inventory looks different too.

5. WhiplashIvy

WhiplashIvy Void-Bound Voyager

So the first of the REAL staves are in, spawned with Novakidlightstaff1. I have to say, it actually feels really good- a well placed star can kill an entire horde of enemies running through it, and the light means that you can use it to scout ahead (at the cost of a chunk of energy, presumably) one of my favorite things is setting up a couple at the door of a room, then baiting monsters into it. It still needs some number tweaking obviously (there's no energy cost thus far) but I can actually see staffs performing decently now.

Also, going through a gate spawns you in the void. FYI.

6. Fibriel Solaer

Fibriel Solaer Space Kumquat

You can do that with torches too.

7. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I like where this is going! The flashlight seemed to have limited use below ground, and this can help users on where they want to go.

8. FrostyAvo

Yeah, torches have a bigger radius, but flashlights go further.

PingKing likes this.
  9. Kentoz

Kentoz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Noticed a small change. Matter Dispenser machines no longer place matter blocks on the forward AND back layers if you mine out the background tiles. You only get what drops on the foreground area now.

10. spiritofcat

The lighting anomaly isn't only for the flashlight.
    Torches are also treating terrain blocks as invisible.
    The logic gates and other wiring components used in the starter dungeon are now visible where they previously were not.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In other news though, I discovered that the matter manipulator can indeed suck up liquids now.

Edit:
    Also, I took the time to throw together a quick fix for the Codex today.
    It's not a perfect solution, but at least it makes it readable again.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/codex-fix-nightly-07-08-2014.2252/
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  11. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

[​IMG]
    well thats nice

just realised my curser is blocking the text it says "welcome to heck"

lividust and Uzkniso like this.
  12. spiritofcat

I'm still having the issue where all my new characters start at the very same world.
    Anyone else noticed this issue?

To test, start a new character, beam down into the dungeon and place some torches in a pattern you'll recognise.
    Create another character and beam down. You'll see the torches are already there.

Edit:
    I just deleted my universe folder and while all my characters are still starting on the same planet as each other, they're not beaming down into the dungeon.
    Did an update come through without me noticing today?

13. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

its like that right now for testing

14. FrostyAvo

Is it just me or does Heck look a bit more disgusting than usual? :/

15. Cipherstar

Cipherstar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My Nightly doesn't even launch. I managed to play it for a while, now it just doesn't even work lately. I even just updated it back to Nightly and the problem was still there. Downgrading back to standard, it runs.

16. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

its not sopost to be that litup

17. Kentoz

Kentoz Subatomic Cosmonaut

Standard response: delete starbound config, player folder, and universe folder. This always works.

EDIT: By this point, I feel like we should amend the thread title with "delete player&universe&config to fix"

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
  18. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

And put me out of a job? D8

@Cipherstar

Nah, but yeah, nightlies will occasionally break and basically require you remove universe, player, starbound.config, or any combination there in. If you want to post your starbound.log or any errors you get we can try to narrow down the loaction but really just backing up player, universe, and starbound.config then removing them is the quickest way.

Personally I prefer "Welcome to your doom~"

19. spiritofcat

I noticed that the Horse AI animation file exists in the assets but it wasn't being used.
    I made a little mod that enables it for the Novakids.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/ship-ai-fix-nightly-08-08-2014.2254/
    [​IMG]
    It's the one without boobs, although the animation file for the one with boobs still exists too...

Also, while working out how to do this I found out how the thruster repair function is implemented, so I think I'll see if I can implement the FTL Drive repair as well.

731 likes this.
  20. sρooκs

sρooκs Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I need these daggers, waiting for the stable update. The stats listed in starbounder are a poor example as .59 swing speed isn't much. :love:

Splatterknife

[​IMG]

Gutterknife

[​IMG]

http://starbounder.org/Gutterknife