1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound: It sure does exist

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DukeOfRiven, Jul 28, 2015.

1. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

And if that were truly the definition of a game, than every sandbox ever created would not qualify.

2. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

It's a possible formal definition of a game (Eric Zimmerman's, specifically.) Minecraft actually does qualify on account of having a score at death and a credits roll.

Edit: And they're "activities" if not games, apparently.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Ehksidian likes this.
  4. lazarus78

Highly subjective. Starbound has thousands of quantifiable outcomes. How many planets visited, number of weapons collected, highest equipment tier achieved, most pixels obtained, most pixels in a set time, most codex entries found, X Object found, etc, etc. Just because the game itself isn't keeping track of all that doesn't mean it's not there to be quantified.

Granted ive not played Terraria in a while, last I recall it had neither of those. Nor does Landmark, Darkout, Space Engineers, star forge, starmade, and dare I begin mentioning the plethora of MMOs?

There is little difference between personal goal and coded goals when defining what constitutes a game.

5. Bumber

Bumber Pangalactic Porcupine

I think it does for the purposes of the formal definition.

But none of it really matters. I'm just saying you could argue it isn't a game under a certain definition. You could probably argue the other points, too, somehow. (Not physically. Sentence was typed. Although the last one is logically sound: A&B -> A, even if B is false.) OP can't win.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  6. Letrune

Letrune Title Not Found

Starbound is like Terraria and Metroid, except not! It is a 2D game with pixel-style art, except not exactly! It is playable, while still not being done!
    It is fun except when it isn't. :3

ABSOLUTELY NEUTRAL!!! :3

Kawa likes this.
  7. cooltv27

cooltv27 Heliosphere

there has not been enough average apex who have seen this "Big Ape" to confirm the exact degree of handsomeness. Miniknog are biased towards him.

if we are going with undeniable facts, then I present this:
    "It is my opinion that Starbound has great potential"
    this is a fact because that is my opinion, and the opinion itself is irrelevant so long as it is one I agree with.

this is also a neutral statement as I only state what my opinion is. (PLEASE DONT HURT ME!)

8. Joaoseinha

Joaoseinha Void-Bound Voyager

Every solar system has an identical flying gate.

9. DukeOfRiven

DukeOfRiven Giant Laser Beams

Two pages and I've already lost control.

Fact: my failure is abject.
    Fact: my failure is encompassing
    Fact: The Chucklefish logo uses the colour orange.

The Squid and Seajun_ like this.
  10. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

Shots fired!

Do you always have to beat up on me? What have I ever done to you? What? Disagree with your opinion? And now you're going to give me attitude whenever you see one of my posts?

11. SivCorp

SivCorp Parsec Taste Tester

Neutrality is boring.

This game is boring without mods.

Mods regulate forums to be neutral.

Mods are neutral.

/repeat

12. lazarus78

Do you always have to beat up on Chucklefish? What have they ever done to you? What? Have their own ideas of what their game should be like? And now you give them attitude whenever you post on their forums?

See what I did there?

The Squid likes this.
  13. FaerieHawk

FaerieHawk Subatomic Cosmonaut

Beneath the waves of ocean worlds, things get really really dark at night.

Esylana likes this.
  14. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Starbound's name is formed from 9 letters.
    Starbound Assets contains 6,564 Folders in which resides 38,412 Files

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
    pop-yotheweird, Esylana and The Squid like this.
  15. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

See Chucklefish owe me and a million other people a finished game. So what did they do to me? They took my money and then mismanaged their project, so it'd be silly for me not to ride their asses.

You and me? There's nothing unless you want to make an issue out of it.

16. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

If you knew it was an early access game, then why'd you buy it?

Seajun_ and lazarus78 like this.
  17. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Something I posted on reddit yesterday that seems fitting here (or at least not as off topic as some of these posts ;))

Entire Game
    • Steam Folder: 2.71 GB / 974 Files / 313 Folders
    • Assets: 1.05 GB / 38,513 Files / 6,579 Folders

Objects / Items

Weapons

• 113 Guns (46 Crafted, 43 Random Generated, 24 Biome drops)
    • 20 Staffs
    • 57 Throwable Items
    • 416 Melee Weapons (crafted or unique drops)
    • 48 Random Generated melee weapon types

NPCs
    / Monsters

Biomes
    / Dungeons

• 18 Planet types (Biomes) across 6 tiers
    • 44 Mini-Biomes (Alpine, Tar, Oasis, etc.)
    • 32 supportive biomes (atmosphere, core layer, ocean floor, etc.)
    • 27 large Dungeon types
    • 716 possible rooms in those large dungeons
    • 30 Challenge Rooms
    • 12 special dungeons (Outpost, Ark, Floran Mission, etc.)
    • 479 Biome structures/encounters/microdungeons
    • 38 Surface Microdungeons
    • 167 Underground Microdungeons (22 Apex, 40 Avian, 27 Floran, 13 Generic, 57 Glitch, 5 Human, 3 Outpost)
    • 359 supportive Microdungeons (unique tunnels, terrain shapes, etc. with objects and liquids placed)

World / Environment

• 209 Block types, 19 Platforms, 7 Skyrails
    • 52 Material Mods (grass types)
    • 304 Parallax images
    • 1490 Tree parts (trunk and leaf variations)
    • 1120 Plant Objects (bushes, flowers, etc.)
    • 21 Weather types
    • 13 Liquid types

Other

18. lazarus78

Yes, they do indeed owe us a finished game because we bought into it, but that doesn't mean you get to degrade them every chance you get till then. That is typically called "slander".

Was some of the money mismanaged? Probably. No one is perfect, they are people too. Hell, at my work just yesterday I received 4 computers when I only ordered 2 because accounting mismanaged things and submitted the order twice. Oh well, life moves on.

The game is actively being worked on, this is a fact. Lots of different things are being done, which you clearly don't approve of, but that is what you get. The developers vision of their game. This is early access. You bought into an unfinished game with no guarantee of when it will be done. That is what we buy into with early access and beta status games.

The Squid likes this.
  19. duicklefish

duicklefish Great Scott!

For sure, by a long stretch, the game's biggest asset are it's vast ocean of assets.

20. Aaaand ignore.