1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Starbound freeze/crash at Chucklefish logo~

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DJOkamical, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Access

Access Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I came on here to get support on how to fix this, but I'd forgotten to close the program and I started hearing this lovely music playing in the background. Behold, it worked. For those who are having problems, try closing all other programs, restarting steam, verifying the cache integrity, and waiting. Also make sure your drivers are up to date. Every little bit seems to help. Hope this helped.

2. Knawojin

Knawojin Astral Cartographer

Worth a try; how do I verify cache integrity out of interest?

3. You right click on starbound in the game library, properties then its under local files.

I verified cache twice and it didn't help me.

I'm gonna start it in safe mode and let it sit for an extended period of time, but i don't think it's gonna do anything.

4. fw190a8

fw190a8 Seal Broken

There are no errors. Nothing at all appears on the screen whatsoever. No sounds come out at all. Nothing at all happens except the application quits itself almost immediately. There are no logs in %appdata%. Is there a more specific location inside %appdata% in which I should look?

5. fw190a8

fw190a8 Seal Broken

Quick addition to this: game works fine in Ubuntu 13.10 desktop 64-bit, nVidia-331. Annoying that I have to specifically boot to Linux to run this. I should be able to run it in either.

6. I'm downloading unbuntu now it seems like its gonna be the only option for people who don't want to torrent a newer windows OS. Really dissapointing.

Did you install unbuntu along side windows, or in a virtual machine?

7. erniedrifter12

erniedrifter12 Aquatic Astronaut

Mine will go past the Chucklefish logo, and then says Starbound and stays there. Should I just wait? (I'm on Mac OSX.)

8. WMoose

WMoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This topic should be stickied.

9. JohnnyKill

JohnnyKill Astral Cartographer

Please disable all of your background applications that could be causing interference with Steam. Internet Security software such as Little Snitch, Peer Guardian and Norton/Symantec Internet Security avg etc,
    Do make sure that they are turned of with taskmanger sinds they some times run in the back ground!

And run the game as admin, Sinds windows fire wall stil blocks any programme From internet acces if its not added,
    And if you turn off windows fire wall its stil always on (You have to turn that off in a other way thats why you run the game in admin mode)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Dlastons

Dlastons Space Spelunker

I'm a Windows 7 64-bit user with this problem.
    4GB RAM
    Raedon HD 1GB
    Dual Core Processor 2GHz

11. neeky

neeky Space Spelunker

Turning off Steam Community in-game definitely helped me. It still takes a bit to load, but it does at least.
    Also, try closing other programs to free up some RAM. This game takes about half a gigabyte free on my machine.

12. JohnnyKill

Steam use's alot of ram btw to stop steam from doing that there is a simple code for that, Close steam take a short cut of steam,
    It wil say "C:\****\Steam\steam.exe" In the short cut some where,
    Add this, /low -silent
    Like this
    "C:\****\Steam\steam.exe" /low -silent

It takes 20K off steam, after that it runs 10-14k

13. ZangooseSlash

ZangooseSlash Black Hole Surfer

Get the freeze all the time. I have to wait 30 seconds before it works.

14. Velcro Zippers

Velcro Zippers Tentacle Wrangler

I have this same problem. About 25% of the time waiting it will load to the title and let me adjust all options and create a new character. When I click on my character to start the game it freezes giving me an unresponsive program error. I notice when I start the game if my HDD access light is solid read state it loads. If it flashes like when no program is started it never loads.

My System Stats.

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
    Version 2003
    Service Pack 2

Computer:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual
    Core Processor 5000+
    2.61 GHz, 4.00 GB of RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series graphics card.

I hope this issue is resolved. I play a lot of other games at maximum values so this game should have no problems running. I do understand this is a Beta version though, so hopefully from the launch menu reassuring me that the fix will be sometime this week, let's all cross our fingers. I am dying to play this game and will keep checking for fixes on my own throughout this week. I will give them until Jan. 1 2014 before I get angry and start dis-recommending this title due to tech. issues. I have recommended it to a ton of people and most of them bought it. They are also enjoying it without me =(

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  15. fw190a8

fw190a8 Seal Broken

I am running dual boot with grub. The Ubuntu installer makes this very easy. However, unless you have a completely separate hard disk, it will need to repartition your existing Windows disk, which can take some time. When you turn on the computer it will simply ask which OS you'd like to boot.

(I'm aware this is slightly off topic now so happy to move to a Linux-specific thread if that's deemed appropriate.)

16. JohnnyKill

Sinds I bought the game, We can mesh with the game settings!
    got to, Starbounds Beta\assets then open default_configuration,

Edit:

"vsync" : false,

"windowedResolution" : [640, 480],
    "maximizedResolution" : [640, 480],
    "fullscreenResolution" : [640, 480],

That makes every thing really the lowest it can be, there more options to mess with but hell Its what you like to toy with.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  17. xCryonic

xCryonic Master Chief

18. Weaxer

Weaxer Void-Bound Voyager

I have found that if your sound driver is not working/is disabled you may not be able to get past the Chucklefish logo. Just a heads up for those who are having the problem and can't solve it. I had this problem on Windows 7. Not saying it will help you, but it's something you can check.

19. Ms_Starbound

Ms_Starbound Orbital Explorer

Lol me too it always freezes at dat logo :chucklefish:
    I know I have a 10 or 12 year old computer, but you guys are having the same problem? D: