Regarding Release & Beta, What You Should Know.

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by Arcadiax, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Sir ceil

Sir ceil Existential Complex

thank you someone who actually under stands what the word beta means
    man i could not agree more with you i'd LOVE it if they did that

2. Alexblex

Alexblex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Good point and also another thing people don't know about beta and alpha is that Alpha stage means the only tester is the owner and Beta stage means that a few others get to test and that's how alpha and beta work.

Sir ceil likes this.
  3. OmniGeoff

OmniGeoff Weight of the Sky

*OFF TOPIC WARNING*
    ... *Sings Still Alive from Portal*

Irrelephant likes this.
  4. Tommy

Tommy Void-Bound Voyager

nice, keep up the good work! dont rush the game to a non finished state like terraria was at first. better use a month or two extra to really polish it and make it nice

Sir ceil and Defenseless like this.
  5. GhastlKing

GhastlKing Yeah, You!

This game is gonna be awesome ^-^ i hope i get chosen for the beta (To test not like those other people) i'm just so excited about this game though !!

6. Alexblex

Alexblex Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Your implying that we want to just to play it earlier. I would test the game if they even make Beta. But testing a game isn't easy it takes hours upon hours of work and nonstop playing just to test everything that comes with every new thing added to the game.

7. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

Yeah. Some people do want beta just so they can play it earlier though, sadly. I'd love to test the game too, hours of work wouldn't be a problem for me either.

Alexblex likes this.
  8. Ollobrains

Ollobrains Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If u want to fill in some time while we wait for starbound realise try spacebitz its another game 2d in nature kind of aiming to do what starbound is doing but top down perspective tis playable and u can purchase it from desura theres a few other similiar type titles in development if u look to finn in youre urge to play until starbound is out

9. whitcher

whitcher Void-Bound Voyager

So in the event of a closed beta, would there be some sort of secret beta forum to discuss the game's bugs etc.?

10. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

You wont get game by having lots of posts, nor likes.
    To get beta, you must CONTRIBUTE, for the sole purpose of Contributing to something you like, and mods liking you.
    It is more probably to get beta by having a single, real awesome post, than by having 500 one line posts that are actually poorly written and does almost no contribution.

Also, being beta tester is a WORK, not its like, i will get the game for free before anyone else!
    You must not simply play just for fun, you must also look at EVERYTHING, even the most small feature could countain over 500 bugs, that you must help to find and fix.

So please, people, stop asking for beta, and do things that help more to the community, and even if you do, chance of getting is low, but better low than nothing, true?

Sir ceil likes this.
  11. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

There's a diffference between contributing to a community, and contributing to a game though.

There's nothing wrong with contributing to the community, because it brings us all together, but it ends up either being just off topic or speculation on our part.

Right now, there aren't actually many ways to contribute the game, from my perspective. There was the Monster Monster Contest, and there is the Suggestions board. Tiy's recent Biomes post welcomes us to provide a feedback and contribute to the game.

So I leave you with a question:
    Are the General discussion/chats/clans/corperations/fanart sections really just contributing to the community, or proving yourself able to contribute to a game (which is what beta testing is)?

Irrelephant likes this.
  12. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

Depends.
    Trough the community, you can know which people are worthy to be beta testers, and who may cause leaks.
    Actually, if you re not careful about who you re giving the beta to, you will end up whit ploblems.

Contributing to the community, is an useful way to test you re actually someone who wont cause leaks.
    Contributing to the game is an useful way to test you help the game, that you will bug report, and that you dont want the beta for the sole purpose of free games.

13. Defenseless

Defenseless Phantasmal Quasar

on the first thought: I would love to be a beta tester. but on the second thought: I dont want to be one so I dont ruin the surprise and play the game when its meant to be played. It's that special feeling you have when you play a game like this for the first time <3

14. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

What kind of contributing to the community would classify someone that wont cause leaks though?
    Contributing to the game, such as giving them opinions and ideas, doesn't really tell them that the person doesn't want the beta just for "free games".

15. Sarzael

Sarzael Oxygen Tank

I know, but someone who is normally kind, help the others, do constructive criticism, etc etc etc, have less possibilities to cause leaks.

Defenseless likes this.
  16. KuraiRyuu

KuraiRyuu Space Kumquat

Ah yeah, ok, I see what you mean now.

17. Gadgetguy

Gadgetguy Bag of Holding

I hope I get to be a beta tester! :D
    But I guess not since I can't get out of New Member status :cry:

Edit: I'm now a member :D

18. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

19. Mittgfu

Mittgfu Phantasmal Quasar

I am soooooooooo looking forward to the game...
    I wonder if I could get a tester ^^

20. Omegatron

Omegatron Aquatic Astronaut

Late summer? I can't think of a better way to celebrate the coming of Fall than striking the earth, even if it IS space earth. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a late summer release date!