1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

POLL - on survival changes.

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Azraile, May 23, 2015.

?

Sellect the ones you agree with. (you can change at any time)

1. Having to eat for the hunger bar to stay full or you start to starve.

63.1%
  2. Only having to eat for buffs.

16.9%
  3. Varriant tempatuers depending on your surroundings aswell as the planet, requiring protective gear.

73.8%
  4. Ether high or low tempature, easly negated by nanosuits

10.8%
  5. Having something to supply you air being a thing you have to worry about the whole game.

52.3%
  6. Air supply no longer being a worry after you get your first nanosuit.

21.5%
  7. Difficutly settings having hunger, permadeath, and droping ores built in.

27.7%
  8. Stuff like hunger, permadeath, and droping ores on death being an option at all difficuty settings.

66.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

I'd like to see hunger come back in a form that is not optional but, at the same time, optional. As in, on "Casual", you can feed yourself to sate hunger for bonuses but you won't die or get gimped in gameplay because you don't want to eat, but, on higher difficulties, eating becomes a necessity to prevent negatives from being incurred. That way, it may actually pose some semblance of challenge to those who want it (instesd of the pseudo-challenge nostalgia goggles thrust on the old hunger system) but it is not necessarily a hindrance to people who just want to explore and build.

For temperature, I am okay with the existing nanosuit system, but I'd like to see a version of @xxswatelitexx's temperature mod added back in. The nanosuits are a good idea, offering loads of protection from the elements, but I think that they should be rolled up into one upgradable nanosuit which can, on higher difficulties, be overwhelmed if not maintained or given a time to cool down.

NerArth, Tamorr and The | Suit like this.
  2. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

3. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Seams like the other way around, most people are voting for hunger, but arn't saying much about it.... while there are a lot of people speaking out agenst hunger and not as many people voting for it.

4. NerArth

NerArth Pangalactic Porcupine

Chose: 2, 3, 5 and 8.

I did enjoy the whole air supply thing when it was around, and I liked that it wasn't completely trivial to overcome it, as opposed to just having a Nanoskin that makes it irrelevant, even underwater.

Food though, I didn't enjoy the hunger mechanic quite as much, though I wouldn't oppose its return.

Would be nice for some things to be optional though, as option 8 states. I certainly wouldn't mind disabling loss of pixels on death. :p

But, that said:
    I do agree with this as well. Not everything should be optional. It creates an unnecessary complexity of game systems, along with the possibility of creating communication issues between players and developers. (More required variables to state when giving feedback, for instance.)[DOUBLEPOST=1432671166][/DOUBLEPOST]
    True. That's sort of how I felt as well several times. And yeah, food buffs feel a bit too short sometimes, for myself.

I'm a bit confused, because I remember seeing the same mock-ups. When was this resistances ideas scrapped? There are still several "elements" on weapons in-game, and in fact, my Solarium Backer reward had atleast one thing based off the principle of resistances being in...

5. Special resistances in games, as part of a core mechanic, I find to be tediously unfun. Think of Vanilla WoW for example. You NEEDED fire resist gear to beat Molten Core. It didn't matter if the other gear you had had better stats, fire resist was > all. Then, after the 2nd tier of content they released Naxx, which required frost and arcane resist, which was not on any of the raid gear from previous raids, you had to use crap greens with the proper resistance to beat it.

Think of how much it would suck, having to put down an awesome end game piece, because it doesn't have enough cold resistance...

NerArth likes this.
  6. NerArth

I see where you're coming from, and agree it can be a cumbersome stat, but I think there's room for it to act as a bonus stat, rather than as a required stat. No, I'm not one of those Nostalgia Glasses people. :) I simply think we can find ways to appreciate both past and present.

Either way, I'm not advocating that it needs to be in the game, I simply enjoyed the possibilities it might bring.

However, what I meant about the elements in weapons was because I became confused as to why an Ice spear I have actually slows enemies down, but a Fire/Poison weapon no longer puts a debuff on enemies, as it did when I played previous versions. It makes me think of Diablo III, when there was a certain point where every element was there for flavour, except cold, which did chill enemies if it was a base stat on a weapon.

7. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Yah but it made sense, you can't wear your best armor down into the frozen depths of an ice planet if it didn't do anything to keep you warm

Just like you couldn't crawl down into the firery depths of the world and fight lava Beasts and living fire with out stuff that keep you cold.

There all environmental hazards and you have to weigh the environmental protection agenst energy resources and physical protection.

It added depth and a sense of realism to the game (though it needed to account for heat and not just cold.)

NerArth likes this.
  8. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

In the Koalas, you stopped concerning yourself with temperature after obtaining tier 4 racial armor, since that was the best armor available and just so happened to also have the best protection against the cold.

In fact, the dedicated "keep you warm" outfit was rarely if ever used because of the rarity of Leather, so you were best off just using fires and tiered racial armors then actually caring about staying warm.

/hasn'tforgottenabouththekoalas

NerArth likes this.
  9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

I duno, I kinda like that idea. It prevents all powerful armor. As long as it isn't forcing a playstyle. In part why I hope temperature was not only cold, but also heat, and based on envirnmental factors, like heat near lava, or cold up in the stratosphere, etc. Mini pockets of ice cold... ness...

NerArth likes this.
  10. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Yah there was a mod for that I found fun, air purity also dropped around and over lava as it gave of toxic fumes. You had to not only worry about how insainly hot it was but from suficating.

NerArth likes this.
  11. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Yeeaah... that can go to hell.

12. NerArth

Maxwell knows how WoW progressed in terms of phasing out resistances because they became redundant and a nagging requirement over time; I know this too; as such, experience should dictate I agree with Maxwell, but I agree with you, because I think there's room for these features to exist without them being completely necessary or forcing a playstyle, as you put it.

13. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Yah they made a lot if sense but in WoW it was not set well, the dungeons used to unlock the core should have been full of awesome fire resist gear and the like for the rest of the game.

But it worked just fine for starbound, heck I just usaly made one pice of the leather gear (with highest weather resist) and just carried torches and campfires. The one pice was enough to keep me warm for a minute or two and then I had plenty of fire to warm me back up. When there was the mod with the atmosphere generators I did much the same, they cost a lot to make so I only made one and picked it up and ran sitting it down again before I ran out of air.

It was a nice little added chalange to stay alive.

You can call it annoyance but you could say that about every aspect of a craft/survival game unless your playing around with creative mode.

NerArth likes this.