Ration Slot! The RIGHT way to revive hunger!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Ekoto, May 23, 2015.

1. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

So hunger... alot of people want it...
    people who dont want it complain about it being annoying end game...
    having to STOP... SELECT FOOD.... SHOVE DOWN THROAT.... and go back about your way... every.... damn time... it depletes....

How can we cater to both ideas?....
    simple...
    a ration slot!
    By simply adding a new "equipment" slot where we can put food to automatically be eaten when our hunger gets down to a selectable percentage (kinda like how some MMOs have like Aura kingdom [atleast i think it was AK...] have for potions) we can have hunger and useful food and useful farming with out the anoying end game chore feeling!

Of course it would have to not be able to execute itself in some situations:
    *in battle (no one likes stuff ruining their combos... ) unless your like... near starvation of course...
    *When jumping (that is like the weirdest thing to do while your eating...)
    *when using (as in IN the process of using) grappling hooks or other tools

Situations where it should execute itself:
    *while running (it SHOULD NOT slow down the character. just be a simple "nom" and its done)
    *while walking
    *sitting (the perfect place to eat!)
    *while afk/doing nothing (beds should still completely stop the hunger process like they used to though)

2. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

its a good idea. honestly, theres currently no motivation to eat food. (sure it buffs you but its very minimalistic) There could be basic food that gives no buffs and just fills you up,(like steak, grapes, etc...) while others do give buffs.(like the avian ceremonial thing). These ones you shouldnt be able to put in the ration slot.

3. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Not a bad idea

4. WinterHeartWolf

WinterHeartWolf Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps in the early-game you would have to eat as you used to, but then they could implement recipes for auto-inject nutrient packs, or something along those lines into the mid/late-game. Crafting them would probably require some iron/copper for the mechanical part, in addition to whatever food/drink you want to be supplied to you at a steady rate.

I myself really enjoy taking time out to eat during a mission, because it's immersive. Being able to craft automatic nutrient injectors would also be rather immersive, as opposed to simply adding another UI slot and filling it with 1000 steaks (which is probably enough to nullify the hunger system for your entire playthrough).

5. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

ya. but where are you going to get 1000 steaks? cause thats a LOT of hunting. plus, they could limit the ration slot to like 10 or so food at 1 time

6. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

I was thinking rations would be a craftable / purchasable item.

Maybe a machine that takes three different kinds of food and plastic wrap a makes them. They won't give much and your char only eats them when his hunger is like down to 10% or so.

Maybe some ways to craft standard ones into improved ones? Idk

7. ZeeHero

ZeeHero Pangalactic Porcupine

I like having no hunger mechanic. The glitch are even friggin robots.

Leave hunger out of the game. I still constantly carry a supply of cooked food on me for the buffs. they're more than useful.

8. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Yah I hope if the add hunger and temp back they have things set up like glitch not needing to eat much at all if there eating there battery/electric stuff, and getting a buff from ex stream cold

9. ZeeHero

Then we get the problem of race specific traits, which hurts the freedom to choose your race without worrying about specific advantages or disadvantages.

People then start feeling forced to play races they do not want simply because the game will be annoying otherwise.

10. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

Oh for crying out loud, can you people not put ideas out here instead of shooting them down?

You can't make everyone happy, I like the way one race looks, the aesthetics of another, and the clothing of another... Without /admin though I got to settle with picking one and going with it.

Criticize all you like but try and keep it technical and have some ideas of your own to help fix the problem.

Some people like races being different others like them only to be different in look/aesthetics/style you can't make them both happy and if you start into it your just going to start an argument

11. ZeeHero

and yet to make SOME people happy you'd make a change which could massively impact the fun everyone else has in the game?

Tell me, which is more fun? Playing a game and thinking, hey it would be great if i got hungry, or playing a game and thinking, I chose human but now I wish I chose glitch even tho I hate glitch?

12. Azraile

Azraile Ketchup Robot

There are a few polls here and there and most of them are about 2/3rds rather have hunger.... it's not a small group making things bad for everyone else. Granted it's not a majority by much ether but a huge majority want the game to be about survival and hunger fits into that. That and for the even slightly OCD people having so much tied into food and crops then taking hunger away just is aggravating.

People who made FrakingFlora must have been awfull pissed.

13. ZeeHero

why not make hunger part of the higher difficulty game modes? don't have it on casual add it to the other modes.

Most of the people who want to revive hunger are also in the "I want more challenge camp" anyway.

14. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

Oh so your already carrying food huh? consider this system of mine to allow you a special inventory slot a spot to keep said food for said buffs. it wouldnt impact your gameplay in anyway. as long as you arent absolutely horrible at gathering food in the first moments of your journey... which after you get a far or even hunt... food becomes overwhelmingly plentiful... to the point you just wonder if you should throw it out... i personally find the food buffs in this game useless.. planet explorers handled the buffs way better from food. (they also have a hunger system but the buffs are actually worth just eating food for. starbounds food buffs are pretty weaksauce and annoying to keep track of fullness cooldown...)
    what i am trying to fix here is allowing this game to go back to its roots while pleasing both sides. the way i have it set up in this system would be like not having hunger at all... thats how much its dumbed down in this system. just your first moments on a planet with a new character will be a scramble for food and shelter kind of thing. which is what this game used to be about... until it went all grindy linear quest filled RPG fest on us....
    also... glitch need to eat... you should read up on thier lore, its a very interesting culture... they are artificial organisms... they need to eat to get fuel.
    Automatos current corn and bolt bulbs are food specifically for glitch.

15. ZeeHero

Sorry, Still 100% against. the hunger system is fine as is.

16. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

what hunger system?
    Edit: also you responded pretty fast... you must be a fast reader;)

17. ZeeHero

I am a very fast reader. Since I was about 5 years old.

And by what hunger system that is exactly my point. I'm perfectly happy with using food for buffs only.

18. Ekoto

Ekoto Big Damn Hero

The food buffs in this game are almost if not completely useless(they are not powerful/potent enough)... the Fullness debuff just makes managing it all worse and really annoying to keep track of.
    in my opinion... any game that does not use food for actual HEALING (like per health point rather than health over time... think beta minecraft Pre Hunger system) or hunger doesnt need food. its completely useless. food items in this game are basically non spam-able fancy looking stim packs.
    the only food i actually find semi useful (its more fun than useful..) is alien fruit and all the things made with alien fruit...
    Everything else can usually be outdone by stim packs.
    Example situations:
    need health in battle... *eats food that has best regen* *gains hp back* *buff eventually wears off* *gets damaged again* *cant eat food because fullness debuff* *pulls out stimpack and nano bandages...* *wonders why i carry food*
    Need Speed for travel or speed situations/Need jump for jump situations: *eats food with best speed/jump buffs* *wears off and cant eat another for awhile* *takes out stim packs* *wonders why i carry food*
    My Conclusion:
    Food does not belong in this game anymore...

19. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Sounds like a good idea... if I can remove it for myself. Be it mod out entirely, or an item that never runs out so I don't have to worry about it.

Ekoto likes this.
  20. theXavier

theXavier Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think the reason for removing hunger is kinda like what happened to minecraft and minecraft PE. In minecraft hunger is just a nuisance and it pretty much only gives a debuff instead of buffs. As for what you said I also play aura kingdom, though i'm still a newbie

lazarus78 likes this.