1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Plans for post release content

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 11, 2012.

1. Draconano

Draconano Pangalactic Porcupine

I saw on the live chat today you said that people who pre-ordered would have access to beta? Would that be anytime soon; Next two months?

2. Rocksta37

Rocksta37 Phantasmal Quasar

That is awesome.Can't wait to play Starbound,every week another update!!! ^^

3. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

Last i've heard, this is something people have asked for/about, but it's never been said it's gonna actually happen... as best as I know. Too much worry that people will just abuse it as a way to get the game sooner, yet not actually be a fat lotta help with the actual Bug Testing & other such Beta Stuff... :cautious:

4. TFGoose

TFGoose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/pre-order-beta-confirmed.13768/

WoxandWarf and Axe Garian like this.
  5. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

TFGoose likes this.
  6. Electric0Eye

Electric0Eye Phantasmal Quasar

Tiy, you are my new favorite Lead Developer! Seriously you're the best! Can't wait to see what kind of stuff you guys release post-release. Although I guess I should focus on being exited for release first huh? :giggle:

Axe Garian likes this.
  7. Hyperfysh

Hyperfysh Tentacle Wrangler

I have a question. You mentioned mods and modders does that mean you will release modding tools? Is that a thing. Make it a thing

8. Stargazer

Stargazer Existential Complex

Modding will be extremely easy and you will need very little to no programming skills. Making a new item will basically be editing text files and attaching the art for it.

9. Draconano

Draconano Pangalactic Porcupine

THANK Kleux! I have little to no programming skills, so this is a huge relief!

10. Hyperfysh

Hyperfysh Tentacle Wrangler

Cool I have very little(no) experience modding and well i want cosmic laser titties as a dude (yes that will be a thing)

LulItsIan and Electric0Eye like this.
  11. Cuchilain

Cuchilain Phantasmal Quasar

If i could smoke these kinds of games id be a block head. Id sit around getting blocked off my ass all day.

Aeon likes this.
  12. Eccentric

Eccentric Pangalactic Porcupine

I can't wait... Nnnngggghhhh!!

13. Lord Kain

Lord Kain Ketchup Robot

The idea of modding makes me very happy. Since I've been doing game add ons since Warcraft I. So i'm glad this game has a better battle plan then Terraria had.

Axe Garian likes this.
  14. Bamseper

Bamseper Ketchup Robot

There is a badge for modders :) I guess a lot of people will have that badge.

15. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Phantasmal Quasar

This entire thread makes me so happy. From Tiy's promise to provide more for the game, to the promise that the community shows when it comes to modding. This game is set up to be the best in a very long time in my opinion. I can't wait for everything all of you guys do. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to get in on this modding too. All of you are beautiful. Carry on.

LulItsIan and WoxandWarf like this.
  16. Cuchilain

The thing is I've already seen jack asses saying that the graphics arent good enough but what people dont understand is the graphics are done for style. They also dont understand that by toning down the graphics you can allow for a higher lvl of gameplay mechanics and a more complex game than in a graphicly intense game. Especially with a small studio. When you have to apply complex graphics to a simple mechanic like mining or crafting, then you wind up over complicating the system into something like gary's mod. I dont know how you guys feel about that mod, but as much as i like building and upgrading and stuff, i cant stand garys mod. Its too tedious moving and orienting objects in a 3d space, taking the fun out of the construction.

17. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

I don't think the game's done in a pixel art style in order to make the game mechanics more complex, it's simply done because it looks better. Two-dimensional block games with sharp high resolution graphics just don't look very good. I guarantee Terraria would not have been as popular if it didn't use the pixel-art style and the same goes for Starbound. The problem with Gary's Mod is that you're not only dealing with an extra dimension which is hard to manipulate objects in without VR gear, but also you're dealing with highly detailed objects rather than just blocks. It's difficult to deal with but you can do some pretty amazing stuff with it.

18. Eccentric

Eccentric Pangalactic Porcupine

I looooooooooooooove pixels.

19. Cuchilain

Yah its true you can do some amazing things in Gary's. But the tedium of accomplishing those triumphs takes away from the fun for me. Im addicted to my simplistic underground hovels. I always set out to build a spread out city when i seed a new world, and then i end up with a vault underground just like always. Gotta get back to digging those holes. The more i read about the plans for starbound, the crazier it seems, and the more im reminded of the ambition of Fable. Fable was a let down, but i still loved the game, and it still pushed the boundaries of games. Can you imagine if half the plans get in the game here? I read a rockpapershotgun article where they were talking about the flora and the fauna on each world being unique and holding unique properties. For all we know it could take some serious exploration to find a suitable tree type to use for that project your trying to develop. Or i want to build a bio-dome city, then terraform my planet to flood it. Leaving my underwater city the last bastion for safe life.

ANTICIPATION!!!!

Axe Garian likes this.
  20. Nerva

Nerva Parsec Taste Tester

Tiy, if you can pull this off, as stated here, I will hold you up as the gold standard of what developers of games should be.

Axe Garian, PoroCYon and Leokins like this.