Physics!

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Drithyl, Mar 9, 2012.

1. TeoTheDriller

TeoTheDriller Big Damn Hero

Indeed, remembering the plans are for the game to be launched at Summer 2012. But let's remember, there will be MOD support. And letting so many good ideas to die would be a waste, so... :up::up::up::up:

Drithyl likes this.
  2. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

There could be a very simplistic system for magnetism, mostly being opposite charges attract and like charges repel. For the area it would affect would be a simple circle and anything that would be attracted would move towards it at an accelerated rate. Whereas the object that repelled within the circle would accelerate negatively with some positive velocity until it reached zero. Of course this would offer some problems with realism, but it would be rather simple calculation would be made.

3. Drithyl

Drithyl Phantasmal Quasar

Well thanks for explaining, I'll add your idea as an addendum to the original one ^^

4. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I approve of all of this :)
    I don't think magnetism would be hard to incorporate at all because Terraria already has the magnetism of object attracted to the player, just add the opposite effect for a realistic magnetic force.

5. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

I think blocks should only be able to float in the air if they have a background block connected to the main planet, or else they fall. Also, liquids should be very focused on in developement because unlike it terraria where it's rectangles or in minecarft where it cuts of the shape, it should actually flow realisticly and be pixelated to look like it flows at an angle.

6. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

As much as I love all these ideas, implementing even half of them would render the game unplayable. Hell it might already be unplayable with all the stuff they announced in to the game. This game, while graphically low, sounds like it'll be VERY CPU heavy, and my rigs can't hack it. my laptop is a lowly 1.0 GHz single core CPU. I think my Desktop is a 3.0 GHz single core.

Of course, even if I couldn't play it, it'd be awesome to see these....

Another idea, rigging for ragdoll physics. Death animations are usually kinda hard to work with, but tagging in a few 2D rigs of skeletons for all the different style of beasts and man, then letting physics do its thing would be cool.

TeoTheDriller likes this.
  7. Starheaven07

Starheaven07 Pyxis Tube

These are all very good ideas, I wouldn't be surprised to see them all implemented in some form.

8. Drithyl

Well I don't care if you don't get to play because all of this has been implemented. More planets for ME to conquer, HA!

On a more serious note, yes, I'm aware of the performance problems these things would cause (lots of game crashes, probably). However, as you said, they're all pretty awesome ^^

I was thinking already on adding the ragdoll physics, but as it was mentioned in the post about death animations I didn't dare. I guess I'll do it to have it compiled here with the list. Ragdoll is always a great effect to have!

9. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

1. Tiy and the team already said that they played it at a very high FPS and no lagg with a VERY old computer.

2. Ragdoll Physics would be hard to implement because in Starbound, all pixels are aligned. Lemme show you what I mean, in Terraria when you swing a sword it's pixels stay the same, so they aren't really squares like they should be, they're diamonds. In starbound though, instead of one sprite that swings it is a GIF. This would mean they need to make a HUGE spritesheet for ragdoll physics animations.

10. Drithyl

Fishbertus, always tearing appart our most basic desires! Won't I be able to project dead bodies twenty meters away by shooting them with a shotgun in the face? NOT. FAIR. :(

Still, thanks for explaining :p

11. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Well, if the team added simple GIFs for falling over to one side then yes, you CAN proect dead bodies twenty meters away by shooting them with a shotgun in the face. But what you can't do it make a slide or bounce them from celing to roof.

Drithyl likes this.
  12. Drithyl

Anything that allows me to shotgun someone in the face will be accepted as officially awesome.

13. Fishbertus

Fishbertus Zeromus

Good. Veeeeery good.
    Verry goood indeeeed.
    Indeed very good.
    (Yes, I am now rapping a song about very good in real life. Like a boss. Alike bosses. New rap!)

14. Drithyl

Dude, DUDE, rapping has NOTHING to do with Physics! ...Right? Meh, I'll give you a like just for explaining to me the gifs thing, but you stay on topic, *****! :D

15. Dasaki

Dasaki Pangalactic Porcupine

:'<

1. Well I'm glad I'll be able to play it then. :D

2. I think i understand, but what they could do it switch out the gif. character and weapons with separate instances, limbs and such (gibs in this case) and leave them hinged and stuck together on a plane. Think Soldat, or Cortex Command. Unfortunately they have a gibbing system that's ALWAYS on, they just tether animations over it using a skeleton system, which Starbound Devs couldn't do for Starbound.

16. Alpha_Squad

Alpha_Squad Cosmic Narwhal

Also to add to my magnetism (which I am surprised that I forgot) is that magnetic material attract to magnets.

17. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Sounds really good. Very much would add a natural feel to everything by giving them rather realistic properties. This would make exploration very interessting and in some ways dangerous *haha* ...just brilliant

18. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

What I like about these types of games is that even though we all know and love water, lava, acid and such we have an opportunity to get creative with our liquids (and much more). I think there should be a liquid that responds to the player! That would be so awesome!! Think ghostbusters 2. Thank you for incorporating the link to my thread in your post btw.

19. Drithyl

No problem! And if anyone feels that there's any thread to be quoted in the list just tell me and I will include it. Also, what do you mean exactly by a liquid who would respond to the player? The idea sounds interesting but I'm not seeing exactly what you're referring to.

Yeah, I'll add that ^^

20. NomNomSeven

NomNomSeven Space Spelunker

Maybe with the air pressure stuff there could be environments that have unbreathable air and some form of suit/filter is required to venture outside.

Also a way to collect breathable air like an oxygen pump which collects air into some form of storage device and filters it to make it breathable. It could also depressurize or pressurize sealed areas with pumps, hoses, pipes and valves.

just an idea :3