1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Lights On Sticks [WIP] 0.1.3A

Provides wearable lights beyond the simple Lantern Stick. Now Tiered, with each tier brighter.

1. Koaten

Koaten Void-Bound Voyager

Koaten submitted a new mod:

Lights On Sticks - Wear all kinds of lights on your back. Brighter than lantern sticks.

Read more about this mod...

2. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I think good tiering for this would be, Lantern Stick > Apex Ship Light > Cheap Light > Solarium Lantern. I can help make sprites if you'd like.

3. Koaten

Thank you for your suggestion and your offer! Tiering would definitely be a nice direction to take this mod.

I took some time for planning, and I came up with this. However, I'm not completely familiar with the new ore tiering, and it seems the wiki isn't fully updated. I know uranium is the first to be found, and solarium is probably the last, but I'm unsure about plutonium.

Further more, I need to figure out how to adjust the amount of light emitted. Currently, I'm simply switching the lanternglow effect for the glow effect (that you get from stimpacks or giant capsules) and removing the particle effects from it. So far, I can only change the glow colors, i think. Maybe if I change RGB(100,100,100) to RGB(255,255,255) it'll produce a brighter light rather than just make it whiter? I'll have to test.

But anyway, please let me know what you think about this! And if I can get everything to work out, I'd love your help with sprites, if you really feel like making them. [:

Tier 1:
    Lantern Stick (default) [ironcraftingtable]

• ironbar: 15
    • liquidoil: 10
    • fullwood1: 10
    Tier 2:
    Ship-Light Stick [roboticcraftingtable]

• apexshiplight: 1
    • steelbar: 15
    • liquidfuel: 60
    Outpost-Light Stick [roboticcraftingtable]
    • apexshiplight: 1
    • steelbar: 15
    • liquidfuel: 60
    And so on...

Tier 3:
    Uranium Radiation Rod [scifianvil - "replicator"] ("You were too rad for school.")

• uraniumrod: 1
    • durasteelbar: 15
    • uraniumore: 30
    Tier 4:
    Plutonium Radiation Rod [scifianvil - "replicator"] ("Even brighter than the Uranium Radiation Rod. How radical.")
    • plutoniumrod: 1
    • plutoniumore: 30
    Tier 5:
    Solarium Radiation Rod [scifianvil - "replicator"] ("Wear the sun on your back. It doesn't get any more rad than this.")

• solariumstar: 1
    • solariumore: 30

4. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Sounds good, I'd replace the Outpost Light with the cheap light that you can make from the portable 3d printer. IMHO the outpost light isn't very well suited for being a back light since it's clearly meant to be mounted to a wall.

It'd be cool if the Tier 3/4 lamps gave you a radiation effect, so you'd need to wear the rad tech to avoid being irradiated by them. Wearing a highly radioactive/toxic isotope has to have it's downsides. I'd also recommend having those lamp sprites include a UV light which lights up the material. Uranium and Plutonium don't give off light normally but they do have a "glow" in ultraviolet light.

For glow effects and light, try looking at the different light objects ingame. I believe Upbeat Giraffe uses slightly different lighting code than Enraged Koala so there's a bit more you can do with the lights. I think there's a light radius or something you can define, if not, you're probably right and it's just based on what RGB colour you use. Haven't looked into it yet.

But anyways, when you make a bit of progress I'd be happy to take a look at what you have done and tweak the sprites or item files. Good luck!

5. Koaten

Yeah, I'll either remove outpost light and just use easily-obtainable ones, or allow you to use any kind of light.

As for radiation effect, I can definitely make the player 'look' irradiated. I'll have to look into pulling off the actual effect, though. I have a feeling that if I just slap a 'radiation' effect to the object, it'll apply it to the player no matter what nanosuit they're wearing.

I didn't think to look at actual lights, but I did of course look at the lantern stick, lanternglow, and glow files. I'll see if I can find anything useful linked to place-able lights.

But yeah, that'd be great! Thank you [:

6. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

I don't think this is the case. I'm pretty sure the radiation tech will negate the radiation effect no matter what it's source is. You could test to find out, I have a feeling I'm right.

Reason I say this is, if you get irradiated, then quickly go back to your ship and equip the radiation tech (or open your AI, then beam down with the AI GUI still open) it immediately removes the effect.

7. Koaten

That's very helpful to know! In that case, you are mostly likely correct. This saves me a lot of work.

EDIT:

You're definitely correct

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  8. Koaten

So, increasing the RGB values does seem to increase the light radius.

Markelius likes this.
  9. Koaten

10. Memetic

Memetic Void-Bound Voyager

Something (or multiple somethings) for each race might be nice, too. I can't do animations, but I can unpack the game assets and mash together some sprites into frankensteinian heresies against actual artists.

Florans
    The bio-lights, especially the ones that look like growing plants. There is one that is basically just a light, which could work well with a more "crafted" looking version

Glitch
    The lantern post items are almost ready out of the box.
    A nice gilded torch/candelabra to fit the more royal themed items.

Apex
    The ship light already fit them pretty well. Maybe a floating drone version?
    One of those hideous lamps from their towns?
    A glowing banana?
    A miniature Big Ape tv?

Human
    A bare bulb.
    Most of the lights from the prisons, really.

Avian
    Pretty easy, their crystals would work great.

Hylotl
    Some nice asia-flavor lanterns. Bonus points for having one that floats in the air.
    Those glowing mushrooms you can find at the bottom of ocean biomes now.

Novakids
    I have no idea, haven't seen much of their stuff. Maybe just have an invisible back item with an item description along the lines of "you're made of glowy shit, duh"

11. Taverius

Taverius Phantasmal Quasar

I uh ... I can't find them on any of the crafting tables. Do I need to do anything to unlock them?

12. Carch

Carch Void-Bound Voyager

these look brilliant, looking forwards to using them ^^

13. Koaten

Tier 2 lights should be found on robotic crafting tables and above. Tiers 3 and 5 should be found on replicators. I'll test in a minute to ensure they function as they should. In the mean time, can you check that you unzipped the folder properly? It's not a .modpak and it can't run zipped either.

14. Taverius

Taverius Phantasmal Quasar

Yeah - everything else that's not a modpack is working.

15. Koaten

Have you looked under armor?
    [​IMG]
    If so, there's a slight possibility that your other mods are conflicting with Lights On Sticks. Can you move all of your active mods to another folder and test just LOS? If it works standalone, please send a list or screenshot of all the mods you were using with it so that I can eventually find what's conflicting.

If it still doesn't work on it's own, however... I'll have to look into it some more.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  16. Mikablu

Mikablu Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I can't see them in the crafting menu, either. Thought it might be a mod conflict, but the only mod I have installed now is LOS and it's still not working.

17. VoltStar

VoltStar Big Damn Hero

Its not showing up in the Robotic Crafting Table.

18. Azure Nyoki

Azure Nyoki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Same as with the people above me, nothing shows up.

19. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Koaten, you haven't included a player.config.patch in your mod. Without this, the blueprints for your items will never be learned. My guess is the only reason you can see them is you are using /admin.

You can find tutorials for how to make a player.config.patch in the modding help forum & examples in many mods.

20. Koaten

Oh man, I am such an idiot. I had it in my last version, it seems I'd accidentally removed it when changing everything. Thank you so much for catching this; you're right, I've been using admin mode the entire time and was blind to the issue