July 28th - Crafting Progression

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 28, 2014.

1. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

in English: "Someone said somewhere, that the next release would be in August." (That would make a nice birthday gift, I might add.)

I hope for a new stable release, too - but the devs have not given a hint when that would be. So its either waiting or try out the nightlies.

2. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

sounds neat, but 'manipulator' might not be a good name, as it'd get confused with the matter manipulator.

3. Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Do people not realize they keep saying "mage"?

This is not a magic game, and shouldn't have ties to it either. The devs said this like, 2 years ago. No magic or magic related thingies. Now, it looks like that has been broken with the inclusion of "Staves". Staves in games are usually used as blunt weapons, or magic amplifiers.

Even if they are like "oh it blah blah blah uses science to pick up items from afar, shoot fireballs, and turn people into frogs" it still is magic, as technology like that wouldn't be put into a mere piece of wood.

Stick it in a glove, or something. Then you can be Ironman...

4. Melissia

Melissia Ketchup Robot

That, or we'll have people create novakid mules (to use MMO terminology) in order to create weapons of the appropraite tech level for the main character.

This, of course, is a horrible design decision, and they should be ashamed of it. ALL factions should be able to create both melee and ranged weapons in every tech level. I don't mind if you want one to be better at it than the other (requiring less materials or having slightly better DPS for example), but it's inherently stupid for us to be able to craft end-game level ranged damage armor but utterly incapable of crafting end-game ranged weapons.

MakeMeMad likes this.
  5. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

... Yeah. And not just the Novakids should get those bonuses; otherwise not only will everyone be Novakid, everyone will be a Novakid gun-slinger-speeder-upper-thing (see what I did? I'm so funny...).

BloodyFingers likes this.
  6. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

Did you SERIOUSLY just give him a warning for speaking in a language other than ENGLISH!?!?! I didn't see ANYTHING alluding to that being offense-worthy in the forum rules, and it almost screams of some kind of hate crime there! His words were in NO way offensive, they just weren't in YOUR language. I don't speak German, but it took me all of 0.1 milliseconds to get Google to translate it into: "Someone said somewhere that the next release would be in August." Explanation for hate-warning, please?

Zael and Madzai like this.
  7. skydart

skydart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't know, if this was his first error regarding the language of a post - but the rules are there. Posts should be in English or have at least an English translation. This post unfortunately was in German only. So no hate there - only enforcing the rules, I think.

8. General Nuclear

General Nuclear Supernova

did you guys/girls know that the mirror screen on the nasa space is made out of gold for protecting them form radioactive rays form the sun
    so why not put gold in the recipe for a space suit or something wit space in starbound

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  9. Aegis J Hyena

Aegis J Hyena Existential Complex

I have not read the thread, but it seems to me the easy route, instead of making specific gear do specific things, would be to have "add ons" or something that you slap onto armor, much like enchantments in minecraft... with the catch being each "slap on" is only usable once --- either requiring oh-kluex-dammit amounts of materials to craft or something. So do you save the upgrade you just made for your Aegisalt armor, or do you keep going and hope you reach a higher tier without dying, -then- slap it on?

Ulithium_Dragon likes this.
  10. lovesthesoundof

lovesthesoundof Void-Bound Voyager

1 - Not that I've seen, and they're not likely to. (Explaining the joke tends to detract from it.)

2 - No no, when I say "phasing out", that's your conjecture I'm referring to. You remember, back when you said progression would likely go beyond crafting into dungeon loot? That's what I'm saying isn't feasible while making farming/building/dungeoneering all endgame-capable. I don't want crafting to be the only way forward; that's not even what I said at any point. The last thing I want is for anyone to not be able to play this game the way they want, hence my concern about your original conjecture that dungeoneering would be the only way to progress. Dungeoneering should not be the only route to the top any more than crafting should.

3 - I'm concerned about names because I'm concerned about lore. There's a difference between a deliberately silly game - take Saints Row IV for instance - and a silly decision, i.e. one that makes no sense within its own context. And I said "I don't buy your edit" because I didn't buy the reasoning you gave in the edit. It's a lore footnote to explain away a silly decision, and a silly decision that can be very easily changed without breaking anything. Why tie yourself in knots trying to explain something away when you can just change it to make more sense?

4 - I'm going to leave this one alone until we get some more dev explanation. Different people are understanding very different things by what's currently been given.

For anyone who doesn't speak German: "Someone said somewhere that the next release would be in August."

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  11. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Oh, I meant "gear progression", as in how many tiers armours will have, since they're branching out. If your concern were Game Progression, then mea culpa.

You probably should be able to get by on crafted/purchased gear alone. Sure, if you didn't do any dungeoneering by the middle/End-game, I wouldn't expect you to be on par with someone doing it since the beggining. You can, however, start that career anytime you want it seems. I just wouldn't advise you to start on higher-threat planets until you get some experience under that particular belt.

That's what I meant by "Progression Beyond crafting". That the best stuff would be obtainable through looting/dungeoneering, as that seems to be the most risky endeavour. It makes sense they get the better gear. That allows dungeoneering to take you further into the game, without necessarily relying on crafting your own gear. At least I hope that is the case. Sometimes I'm just not in the mood for mining ore.

Also It would be cool if racial armors could be found as loot as well. Say, an armor that belonged to a fierce Floran Warrior of legend could have all the racial bonuses the floran gets, and have a badass lore behind it.

A silly decision is making Gold Armor, an armor made entirely of an extremely malleable metal, be tougher than Iron, or even steel, because Terraria or whatever. If they suddendly decide to take ore progression that seriously, then the whole thing needs to be reworked as well. I don't care for half-arsedness, hence my "Call me susie" approach to this.

PS: I re-read your post earlier. It seems I can't count to five. (There were five points there)

12. Psycho Hyena

Psycho Hyena Phantasmal Quasar

People keep saying mage because it's the best word to describe someone wielding a funky looking staff that charges up and shoots an elemental effect where the cursor is. Whether or not there's some silly science lore explanation for it, it's still basically magic even if the staff isn't just a piece of wood. There's already magic in the game with banana bread making you run fast, jump high and glow with fire and other similar recipe effects. Also obviously the magical weapons that shoot elements or bubbles or exploding bones, so of course they'll stick a magic staff in the game and make a whole tier of armour progression about it.

There's no point holding devs to things they've said, Tiy's repeatedly said all that stuff doesn't count as a "promise" or "planned feature", it's not right but it's how they're running the show.

Madzai and Bughunter like this.
  13. NFossil

NFossil Phantasmal Quasar

Honestly this looks severely limited, restricted and mundane, unsuitable for this game with great visions.

I should have explained more:
    Why are we still restricted to the mindset of "mine this to specifically craft that"? Having a limited set of minerals makes the geology of this infinite universe so simple, so boring, that we'll never get through the feeling that planets feel like repaints. There are already multiple ideas in the suggestions forum about randomly generated minerals that may be treated, refined, combined, etc. for use in crafting. In my opinion those kinds of design principle is truly suitable for this game with the grand vision of generating a random universe with countless planets to explore. Heck, even I've made a similar suggestion, although for creature materials and not minerals.
    I just wish the devs could go all the way out there (or whatever the expression is) in terms of complexity in some aspects of this game.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  14. Ulithium_Dragon

Ulithium_Dragon Space Kumquat

@BloodyFingers and @lovesthesoundof you two should probably stop - this is starting to border on being considered a "flame war", even if it is sort of still on topic... I get both of your sides, and I'm sure everyone else does, too, after so much back-and-forth, so maybe it's time to just "agree to disagree" and let it go...?

Lecic likes this.
  15. TaoJaz

TaoJaz Void-Bound Voyager

I'm not sure what I think of this.

Wouldn't this mean that any given character would only have 5 tiers of gear, essentially halving the game?

16. DirkLarien

DirkLarien Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds lot better then linear progresion.
    This way the ores wont get obsolete.
    I love it.
    Thank you for update

17. Assaf

Assaf Void-Bound Voyager

Sounds and looks great mate.

18. Slangwhite

Slangwhite Void-Bound Voyager

Das wäre ja richtig geil! Ich meine man wartet hier ja schon gute 3 Monate auf ein Update.. -.- Es hieß ja mal, dass oft welche erschein werden. Ich bin gespannt. Und vielen danke für die Antwort. :)

19. Wulf_Oman

Wulf_Oman Existential Complex

20. lovesthesoundof

lovesthesoundof Void-Bound Voyager

Isn't a flame war when people start throwing ad hominem insults back and forth rather than having an extended discussion about something while staying on topic? I don't think there was any intent to flame on either side; there certainly wasn't on mine! Clearly we've made you uncomfortable, though, so I'm sorry for that and I will draw the discussion to a close. This sort of thing is what happens when people with different playstyles and opinions all care deeply about a game becoming the best it can possibly be - sometimes when you're in the middle of trying to understand someone else's point and get your own across, it can look a bit more heated to a third party than it does to the two of you! ^w^