1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Outdated Hackable Keypads GXML 1.4.2

Adds programmable, wire-able keypads for passcode entry! (can be "hacked" in game)

1. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

Ruban Crusade submitted a new mod:

Hackable Keypads - Adds programmable, wire-able keypads for passcode entry! (can be "hacked" in game)

Read more about this mod...

2. ECC

ECC Big Damn Hero

You could do a bit with this. I like
    Im tired so I'll be short. Forgive me if I at all err.

I'll start by referring to your plans and building from there.
    You state that you plan to add additional keypads. I concur and think this a great idea but wish to add that changing the phrasing to 'consoles' is far more exceptional. Instead of just keycode entry, there could be computers, dials, biometrics and more. Each 'type' of console would have it's own hack minigame and level of security. Take for example, the keypads you have now. A keycode is accessible to anyone with the numbers and is easily hacked by someone who can think logically. Alternately, at the top of the line would be biometics. In terms of programming it is only accessible via a whitelist. In terms of gameplay, it's... also a whitelist. hahah. Hacking however would be a significantly more difficult challenge... Perhaps a timed pipe game. That probably wasn't clear, I mean that game where you have to rotate and in some cases move pipe tiles around in order to create a path between point A and B(and sometimes C, D, and etc).

Likewise, crafting each console would be different. The cost of a keypad would not be the same as a dial, computer, or biometrics panel. A simple keypad would cost only a bit of iron, copper, and whatever passes for silicon chips. A high end biometrics would be made frome tough and efficient materials while having the best you can possibly afford.

Finding them in dungeons is a bit iffy with me in all honesty. On one hand, I love the idea. It would fit rather well in some cases. However with that in mind it changes the balance of things. Suddenly a dungeon could become a cakewalk. Or instead become impossible to traverse. If you do go this route, tread carefully so you don't get people stuck. Well, stuck for too long anyhow. (;

Moving to penalties, I'd like to state that most of the time, not all, penalties should be in the form of powering other devices. On success, it may open a door or power the stargate. On failure, it powers the other door with all the lava behind it. This would be most cases. On those few others, a shock pad, needle dart trap, and etc would be quite fun and welcome. Of course, this is in addition to powering the door of doom (;

Hmm, seem to have already covered hacking methods in the first one. Right then, clearly I am tired d:

Seeing as I am done with the initial bits you wrote I'll move on to my own ideas.

Top of the list is being able to choose what kind of security is on some of these. A computer could choose from a word game, mastermind, or pipes for example. This adds to the RP perspective as well as allowing people to maintain artistically pleasing builds while also having a high level of functionality. Although closed doors do reduce functionality significantly for anyone trying to get from A to B quickly d;

second... I actually have nothing more to add. Good concept!

3. Ruban Crusade

Thank you! I really appreciate both your input and taking the time to use my mod!
    This is very much like what I plan to do. And as far as the hacking "minigames", they will each be similar to the type of keypad that is being used. I chose "Mastermind" for this one as the format closely resembles the format that the password takes (in fact you are actually hacking the password itself). I have come up with 3 other "minigames", but hadn't thought to do the pipe one...I might do that. I also hadn't thought to time them...I may need to consider that and the options that come with it...hm... Thanks for the ideas!
    That is essentially the plan, though I also plan on making them 3D printable...
    I had thought about that. I would be creating my own, new dungeons that would spawn randomly (like other dungeons) so that I could control the balance and difficulty.
    Actually a small shock was the plan...possibly a larger shock, but just something to damage the player a little and remind them that they can't just hack willie-nillie without some effort.
    I might allow a user to alter the hacking "minigame" on any panel they place, however I'm not sure how I feel about it. Right now I'm going to try and match the "minigame" to the pad type and we'll see how it goes...

4. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Ahh sry for the strange info about "logic" in review. I just figured those are for hacking. But when i linked console to the ship's lights, they automatically turn of affter 5-10 seconds.

5. Ruban Crusade

No problem. Glad you like it. Do you understand it all now, or are you still trying to figure some of it out?

6. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade updated Hackable Keypads with a new update entry:

Updated with planned features!

Read the rest of this update entry...

7. HyperMan19680

HyperMan19680 Pangalactic Porcupine

Too bad this isn't for the current stable too. It looks like a good mod, but I doubt I'd want to ditch my other mods for a Nightly version.

8. Ruban Crusade

It was stated earlier this week that a new stable with be out soon. Once it is, I will spend some time to make sure the mod is compatible with that version, so it will be for stable soon!

EDIT: The next stable update is slated for January and this mod will be updated for the stable branch.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  9. Ruban Crusade

10. Ruban Crusade

Verified for Upbeat Giraffe

Read the rest of this update entry...[DOUBLEPOST=1424053641][/DOUBLEPOST]Ok, so I've been working (in my limited free time) to create the next type of keypad and in the process I started testing making the keypads unbreakable. This resulted in a number of issues as the object cannot have that value changed except when created or destroyed. The only solution I've come up with so far is to add a command that can be executed by someone with the code which will "break" the object and have the object be otherwise unbreakable. Thoughts?

Also, it was pointed out to me by a tester that it doesn't matter if it can be destroyed or not because the door is still vulnerable. So, the potential solution I came up with was to create "security doors" which are a combination of the keypad and the door to create a door that initiates the keypad GUI. This was thought to be even more important with the new functionality that requires you to have line of sight in order to interact with an object. Again, thoughts?[DOUBLEPOST=1424054030][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Just thought I'd let you know that this mod is now functional in the current stable branch.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  11. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Someone got a video showing how this mod work exactly?

12. Ruban Crusade

I don't yet, but I could probably make one. Are there questions you have?

13. RainDreamer

RainDreamer Existential Complex

Hmm, more or less I just want to see how to hack things. I just don't get the hacking minigame.
    Also, an overview video lets people see how your mod looks and its function in game too. =o

14. Ruban Crusade

Voice Recognizer added!

Read the rest of this update entry...

15. austinlb90

austinlb90 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Can i see what it looks like to hack a keypad.

16. Xavius

Xavius Cosmic Narwhal

Doors w/ Keypads: You should make them as a series of tiered doors similar to, but distinct from the base ones. This way, there's a version that doesn't use keypads, and one that only has an output.
    Hatches w/ Keypads: more Hatches in general would be nice. Given there's only 1 currently in existence, anyways, in the vanilla game.
    Variable difficulty Keypads: I like. Though I think they should be related to the material tier.
    Linked Keypads: Set a 'serial number' and all keypads with the same Serial number share a code.
    On/Off Keypads: there's a keypad item in-game that acts like that, but it's just a switch. You could update it (the Outpost Keypad) to be one of your style of keypads, and have it be a switch.

Ruban Crusade likes this.
  17. Ruban Crusade

After RainDreamer's request, I have been working on a video that will showcase all the different pads, hacking them, and such. I will post an update when I have completed and uploaded the video.

Thank you for your input! Explain a little more what you were thinking about the tiered doors (and hatches as those should follow the same progression) and having outputs? It sounds good, I'm just not positive what you mean. Also, there are at least 7 kinds of hatches that I've encountered, though I'm pretty sure there are more. I've used some in combination with my voice recognizer to make parts of my ship inaccessible to visitors (though I'm also using unbreakable doors). Thanks again for your input!

18. HyperMan19680

HyperMan19680 Pangalactic Porcupine

Those future features all sound good, cept that 4th one, which confused me. What do you mean by Linked Keypads?

19. Xavius

Xavius Cosmic Narwhal

Make them not just the existing doors, but instead make new sprite art for them (or ask someone else to do so) that includes visible 'Keypads' on them. For example, make them open like the ship doors, with the meeting point for the sections be in the middle, but have that point where they meet be a keypad. Or, y'know, something. It sounds and looks great in my head.

However, as for the hatches, I mean the horizontal doors, of which I've only been able to find 2.
    If, however, you've discovered others, I'd like to see their names so I can hunt them down for my own ships and bases.

On a less-positive note, can you redesign the keypad and the voice recognizer, and the VR interface? They're just stark white, and don't fit in anywhere except the Apex labs, and VR interface takes nearly 20 seconds to actually get to a point in which you can interact with the buttons, unless you guess the button's locations and click blindly. For the interface, might I suggest a black 'screen' with greentext? It's a color contrast that doesn't induce blindness, unlike this lime-green on white with white text business you currently have. It's painful to look at.

20. Ruban Crusade

Exactly like Xavius said; you will be able to enter a Serial Number or some kind of grouping ID. All keypads with the same ID will use the same code and if you change it on one, all other keypads with that ID will also be changed.

I'm experimenting with the doors now. As always, I try to make sure all of my sprite art is either brand new or heavily modified. So far my issue with the sprites is that the keypads have to be about the same size as the existing ones or slightly smaller. I'm considering having the keypad as part of the sprite, but on the wall next to the door? not sure yet, but I do want them to be integrated into the sprite for sure.
    I can look and PM you some of the ones I've encountered, but I don't have them all collected or remember what they were. Also, I only have the in game name, not the object name, so you still won't be able to spawn them without figuring that out.
    I'm not sure what you mean about stark white since nothing on either panel is white. Let me PM you and discuss details further. Thanks!