1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Game freezes right before save

Discussion in 'Support' started by knighthen, Mar 22, 2016.

1. knighthen

knighthen Space Hobo

At the end of 27 of Fall, after the Spirit's Eve Festival, my game keeps freezing. Get into bed, it asks to end the day, I say yes, screen starts to fade out, then freezes. No error report, no crash report. Have updated Steam, updated drivers, updated Windows, restarted computer. No new buildings are under construction, nothing in the shipping container, even. It's frozen like this 5 times in a row. I can close with alt+F4 and restart, but it puts me back at the beginning of 27 of Fall.

• darkuslord98

darkuslord98 Void-Bound Voyager

The same thing is happening to me on the 27th of Spring. If you go to sleep right after waking up in my save (or do as much as you want to) (link below), it hangs indefinitely. This seems to be happening to more than one person. Perhaps something to do with day 27?

Help!

Save: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwfxiENm5VHGUm1BSkVlVXA2aGs

Edit: Notes- Not using mods, version 1.06

Edit 2: Read someone who responded to a similar issue by saying "Try destroying all the crops." Destroyed all crops. Still crashing.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
      • darkuslord98

Bump. My 20 hour save is still crashing when trying to sleep

• Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

Try running the game as administrator, straight from the .exe file, located here:
          C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Stardew Valley

• knighthen

knighthen Space Hobo

Nope, still freezes.

• darkuslord98

Didn't work for me either.

• Yusuke Urameshi

Yusuke Urameshi Space Kumquat

• darkuslord98

There's no crash report since the game does not "crash" per se, but it does hang perpetually until the game is force closed. Clicking the window again does the typical Windows white-out and brings up the "not responding" box.

Thanks for the link, will try soon and report results.

EDIT: Nope, not working with that either. Attempting to run the backup instead, though I don't expect it to work.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
                • darkuslord98

I found a fix though it is a bit dirty and involves you diving into your save file.

The fix:
                  In your SaveGameData file, if you are married, increase the number of days married by 1
                  In the file with your name and the slew of numbers, increase these values by one (you are essentially moving forward one day in time): daysmarried (DO THIS FOR YOUR FARMER AND WHICHEVER NPC YOU MARRIED), dayOfMonth, daysPlayed.
                  I am intrigued that this was the problem, and not an odd error somewhere else. It very much does appear to be something with day 27.
                  Let me know if it works for you, OP

• LoveOmeral

LoveOmeral Master Chief

I'm getting this issue with day 21 of Winter. When I save, the game goes black and a "not responding" shows up if I touch it. I'm not sure if this is due to something I did with a mod I put in with the newest SMAPI, but the same thing happens when I load the game on it's own without the mods anyway.

• darkuslord98

Try what I said in the post above and ket me know if it works for you. Gl :)

• Random13245

Random13245 Intergalactic Tourist

I tried this and it even seemed to work- it showed up as being the next day and it seemed to work fine. However, it still freezes and stops responding either at 12:50 pm or when i try to sleep.

• CapriciousUke

CapriciousUke Space Hobo

This also happens to me. Maybe there is a problem with the transition sequence?

• Farmer Boy

Farmer Boy Aquatic Astronaut

Same for me too. I'm on 2 Spring Year 3... so the Game just really gets started :D My first child is just born, maybe that's some kind of issue. I can go to bed and safe the game but it breaks down each day at the "switch-point" between 12:50 and 1:00 p.m. - that's really frustrating. Another game i started works fine, but i'm not really interested in playing the other 70 hours again... Maybe someone already got an issue to fix the problem? Day-skipping doesn't work.

• K177Y

K177Y Void-Bound Voyager

For those of you using a gamepad, just before you confirm you want to sleep, unplug the controller. Then confirm with your mouse and click through the 'money made' screen and any level up screens until your game is saved. Then plug your controller back in.
                              Seems to me the game is not freezing, the curser is simply dissappearing for some reason. Anyways, this worked for me :)

• Toxic Potato

Toxic Potato Intergalactic Tourist

Looks like no one agrees on what causes the problem. My game crashes on random days instead of special events and my character isn't married, so I guess this bug is just random. I found that skipping a day can delay the crash by a day or two, but other than that there seems to be no other solution. The developer mentioned on his twitter that we should try running Steam as admin or pressing F12, but that didn't work for me at all.

• vojtci

vojtci Intergalactic Tourist

So anyone has an idea how to fix it? It happens to me too on Day 2 year 2 in winter. I cant go to bed and save the game. Skipping a day didnt work :-(

• CrunPud

CrunPud Space Hobo

This issue came up for me. I tried everything I could find in the forums and nothing fixed it. Finally went through recently installed applications and noticed I had installed Nvidia Geforce Experience a few days before. Uninstalling it fixed the game and inspired me to write this post. You're welcome.