1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Game crashes when trying to sleep.

Discussion in 'Support' started by Reznaak, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Reznaak

Reznaak Space Hobo

It is Winter day 2 in my game and every time I try to sleep the game crashes.

Here is the crash log:

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    InnerException:
    Stack Trace: at StardewValley.NPC.pathfindToNextScheduleLocation(String startingLocation, Int32 startingX, Int32 startingY, String endingLocation, Int32 endingX, Int32 endingY, Int32 finalFacingDirection, String endBehavior, String endMessage)
    at StardewValley.NPC.parseMasterSchedule(String rawData)
    at StardewValley.NPC.getSchedule(Int32 dayOfMonth)
    at StardewValley.NPC.dayUpdate(Int32 dayOfMonth)
    at StardewValley.Characters.Horse.dayUpdate(Int32 dayOfMonth)
    at StardewValley.Game1.newDayAfterFade()
    at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateOther(GameTime time)
    at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

• Gabeux

Gabeux Void-Bound Voyager

It's happening to me too. Happened 3 times, only after 1.03, and it seems to be during winter.
      Looking at the Steam forums, other people are getting this as well.

• madpinger

madpinger Void-Bound Voyager

• Auxcil

Auxcil Aquatic Astronaut

I'm crashing as well, but on the 5th of Winter.

• GauHelldragon

GauHelldragon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I am also crashing during winter after sleeping but before saving. My crashlog is as follows:

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
          InnerException:
          Stack Trace: at StardewValley.Game1.fixProblems()
          at StardewValley.Game1.newDayAfterFade()
          at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateOther(GameTime time)
          at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
          at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
          at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
          at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

• Gabeux

Gabeux Void-Bound Voyager

I derped. My log is the same as GauHelldragon, for the record. :)

• Driman91

Driman91 Space Hobo

I have the same problem.
              Year 2/Winter4 and i try everything to fix this Bug but nothing works so far and i dont even get a error Message it only says *Stardew Valley is not working* and it close the Game :(
              Pls fix it fast im addicted to this Game... but i will not make a new Farm because
              Im already 50 hours into the game.

And sry for my bad english

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
              • Gewwy

Gewwy Space Hobo

I also have the same issue. However for me, the issue during fall and not winter. My crash log is the same as those posted above. This issue has occurred on two different PCs for me, and I turned off cloud saving to experiment. It turns out if I go straight back to bed after waking up, the game saves and takes me to the next day just fine. If I go through a whole day however, and return during the afternoon/evening/night, it crashes.

• ConcernedApe

ConcernedApe Stardew Valley Dev Developer

Thanks and sorry you had to encounter that! Both of these problems should be fixed in the next build.

RAINBIRD55 likes this.
                  • Random13245

Random13245 Intergalactic Tourist

I know you said this has been fixed, but I am still encountering this glitch. I am in year 2 Winter day 9. When I attempt to sleep, it crashes every time. I've tried uninstalling all my mods and I even uninstalled the game itself (after backing it up) but this glitch still occurs. I also tried going to bed right after waking up, and it still crashed.

• darkuslord98

darkuslord98 Void-Bound Voyager

Is it crashing with a log or just hanging forever? If it's the latter, you might be having the same problem I was having- the only way I found to fix it was to cheat my game forward a day. I can go more in depth if you need.

• Random13245

Random13245 Intergalactic Tourist

I dont get a log, but it tells me it stopped responding. I have noticed this also happens at 12:50 pm if I try and go through the day. It may work to cheat ahead a day if you could explain how to do that for me.

• CapriciousUke

CapriciousUke Space Hobo

I also need to know how to skip a day because this is happening to me as well. I'm on Winter 2, Year 2 and I am so desperate to get this fixed.

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

Skipping a day will not solve your problem. It will continue to happen no matter which day you are on.

• CapriciousUke

CapriciousUke Space Hobo

Is there something wrong with the code to make this happen? I've heard that someone skipped a day and fixed their problem like that so I wondered if it would work for me as well.

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

I'd like to see the example you're talking about. It would be helpful for me in the future when fixing these things for people.
                                In my experience so far, the game's day/season is not what actually controls the passage of time in game.

Here's a scenario. I have a baby chick that is 1 day old on Spring 1. If I alter the date in my save file to be Spring 11, then my chick should be an adult chicken aged 11 days old. However, when I load my save file in game, it will STILL be a baby chick, aged 1 day old, despite that in theory ten more days should have passed.

What I'm trying to say is that if there is a bit of code in the save file that's being problematic, I highly doubt that changing the day/month will have any impact, if only because that information doesn't control very many things in the game. The date pretty much only affects whether or not there is a holiday/special event, what seeds are available for sale, and the daily schedules of the NPCs. (like how Robin isn't at work on Tuesdays) For everything else such as how many days until your house finishes upgrading, how many days until a baby animal becomes an adult, how many days until your wine is ready to be harvested from a keg--those things operate on their own independent timers.

• CapriciousUke

CapriciousUke Space Hobo

That makes sense. I found someone's solution to the problem here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/game-freezes-right-before-save.111246/#post-2841614

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

• Destany89

Destany89 Cosmic Narwhal

I'm getting started valley has stopped working after going to sleep after marrying sebastion.

• VKageV

VKageV Space Hobo

I have an issue when i catch a lava eel in floor 100 of the mines, when i throw it in the box to sell it my game crashes when i sleep. Im not sure if the game will crash if i dont try to sell it.