1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Friends unable to connect to Starbound Spirited Giraffe Server

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Pehncil, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Pehncil

Pehncil Space Hobo

As the topic suggests, my friends are unable to connect to my starbound server. I've gone through at least 20+ threads and subreddits looking for an answer, all of them being over a year old. Before you ask, yes I have port forwarded correctly, no my firewall is not blocking it, and yes I am giving them the correct i.p. They are still unable to join. I've disabled upnp in the server config. I am able to join using my external/public i.p address. Any suggestions?

2. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

Are you in unstable/nightly?

3. Pehncil

Pehncil Space Hobo

Nope.

4. Kashmir

OK, thought I knew what was wrong then. This is a question for lazarus78.
    Sorry I couldn't help

5. Pehncil

Pehncil Space Hobo

Anyway to get lazarus's attention? Been wanting to play Starbound with friends for ages.

6. Kashmir

7. Partonetrain

Partonetrain Phantasmal Quasar

I know you said you port forwarded correctly, but there's a possibility you haven't.
    I would use http://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ or something similar if you haven't already.

Also, you said you are using your external ip to connect. It doesn't start with 192.168, does it?

Your friends might be doing something wrong on their side, I suppose.

Idk, just trying to help.

Kashmir likes this.
  8. Kashmir

Good point. didn't think to ask him that.

9. Pehncil

Pehncil Space Hobo

canyouseeme.org says my ports are not being blocked by my ISP. So I have port forwarded correctly. If my friends are doing something wrong, what could they be doing? No my external I.P does not start with 192.168

10. Kashmir

11. Partonetrain

Partonetrain Phantasmal Quasar

Your ports may not be blocked, but that doesn't mean they are open.
    Did you type in the port (Starbound default is 21025, but you probably already know that), clicked OK, and it said the port is open? Yes or no?

If it says it's open, then your friends are at fault.
    If it says "error", then your port is the problem.
    Anyway, I'm off. Good luck.

12. Pehncil

Pehncil Space Hobo

I refollowed all of those steps just to double check everything. I am still able to connect but my friends cannot. My ports are still open and I've even turned off every setting that had to do with firewall. Success: "I can see your service on 70.161.145.xx on port (21025)
    Your ISP is not blocking port 21025"

13. Kashmir

At this point, I think that @lazarus78 is your best bet. He is a guru when it comes to server issues.
    Don't mean to offend anyone else, I guess I'm just partial.

14. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Are your friends putting in your IP address AND port number? I haven't played stable in a while, so does it have a box for port number? If not, they should type in IE: 123.56.243.12:21025

All else checks out. You've noted the port is open and even you can use your own external IP, so that is all good news. Most people with connection issues don't even have that.