1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Help Port forwarding not Working ( Friend Cannot connect, cannot connect to Port) (SOLVED)

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by tails230, Aug 14, 2015.

1. tails230

tails230 Phantasmal Quasar

Since the game was released, I've been trying to host a sever for my friend to join me and play together.

But nothing I try seem to work at all, with all the instructions that 'apparently' is suppose to work to make Starbound host servers.

I went into my Router settings, made the port forward to 21025 (However, every time I see screenshots on how to do it, everyone always leaves Local IP blank (But my router won't let me keep it blank)
    Afterwards, I open Starbound server, and I can connect to my server.
    However, no one can connect to me and play with the IP address I give them.
    When I use the website to test if the port works, it doesn't work! It won't connect to it at all.
    The firewall allows Starbound Server.

What am I doing wrong? Why does every I try doesn't work the way its suppose to work?
    Can I finally get some answers on What do I have to do!? I'm loosing patience and getting annoyed with this game.
    How do I make this game work for multiplayer!? I just want to play with one person. ONE PERSON, is that hard to ask for!?

[​IMG]

The Server box doesn't even get any connectivity from my friend at all.
    My router is a Asus RT-N56U

I need answers, I've been trying to find answers for 2 years now!

2. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I have never been able to figure out port forwarding via the modem. This is why I use either Hamachi or Evolve. It does it for you. Are you starting the SB server in the launcher? Bottom right button. Maybe lazarus78 can help more if he sees this.

3. Seuro

Seuro Void-Bound Voyager

Can you confirm me, using canyouseeme (a port checking tool), that the website can see your open port? For it to be able to the server must A) have the port forwarded (which you said was done) and :cool: the server be running. If canyouseeme is able to see the port, then the problem is with your friend.

I suspect that if its your modem blocking it, there may be additional firewall settings that are preventing the port from opening, but we'll have a better idea once you've checked the port itself.

4. tails230

I have. It doesn't find the port and it times out.

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

You mention your router, but what is your modem? Unless you have a modem/router combo (The thick coax cable screws right into it), you have to have a modem box somewhere. Its likely it has a firewall of its own that is blocking incoming connections.

6. tails230

I use a wireless internet. The Satalite is on my roof, trailing into my house, connecting to my router with the ethernet cable. My laptop is directly connected to the router as well.

7. martyr2012

martyr2012 Subatomic Cosmonaut

When port forwarding, you put the local IP of the box running the server in the forwarding IP. Also, make sure you give your friend your external IP ( http://www.whatsmyip.org/ ).

8. tails230

What would my local IP? Is that in the CMD > ipconfig command? doI hae to use the whole address or just the first number, then 0.0.1?

9. martyr2012

martyr2012 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Depending on the router it should look like 192.168.1.4 or 10.0.0.4 or something similar.

Yes it is under the ipconfig command.

10. lazarus78

That Ethernet cable has to be connected to some other box. Satellite can not convert directly to Ethernet. Its possible your ISP doesn't allow forwarding.

11. Dunto

Dunto Guest

In certain microwave link setups (some of which use a wireframe "dish" so it might look similar to a satellite to non-technical users), the receiver/antenna and modem is in the same small unit on the roof and just has an Ethernet jack with a PoE injection box somewhere inside. The ones I've seen have no kind of port filtering on them, so I'd suggest that the OP post the particulars of his network (IPs, etc) so we can make sure they're putting the right stuff into their router.

12. Kashmir

Kashmir Giant Laser Beams

I'm going to throw my two cents in only because this question has been bothering me. If you only want to play with one or two people (you may add one) then why not just use Hamachi or Evolve and let those take care of the port forwarding for you? Just make a network, join and boom, you're playing together. But don't forget to start the starbound server via the button.

13. lazarus78

Hamachi and evolve done port forward. They establish a direct connection with one another allowing your computers to act as though they are on the same LAN. But yes, that would probably be better given the troubles.

14. tails230

I don't Want to use hamachi or Evolve. They're nothing but problems. you shouldn't require a program to play online with a friend.
    Terraria and Minecraft don't need them!

There is a tiny box that the cable connects to and then connects to the router. Its small and square with no buttons or anything on it...

Dunto likes this.
  15. lazarus78

Starbound doesn't need them either, but given your troubles, they would be easier at this point.

16. tails230

We don't want to use them. We want to play without those program.

17. Dunto

Dunto Guest

Sounds like we need to start back at square one here. Your end goal is this:
    Port 21025 TCP forwarded in your modem to your router's WAN IP (if your modem is NATing your public IP).
    Port 21025 TCP forwarded in your router to your server's LAN IP (can be found in Windows by going to Start -> type "cmd" in the search box and hit enter, in the command pompt that came up type "ipconfig" and enter and see what your LAN (local) IP is).

Once you've forwarded the port in your router and modem (if your modem requires it), then fire up the Starbound server on your server machine (the one whose local IP you put into the router) and use a site like http://canyouseeme.org/ to check if port 21025 is showing as open. Note that modems are commonly accessible by going to 192.168.0.1 in your web browser, but I'd see if that's even necessary first (forward the port in your router as described above then start the server and check the port with the website).

Alternatively, if you've got a Minecraft or Terraria server working already (accessible from outside) then you could always just use that port in your Starbound config. Your friends outside would just need to put a colon after your IP, followed by the port number (ex. 12.34.45.67:7777).

lazarus78 likes this.
  18. Seuro

Seuro Void-Bound Voyager

Alright, steps, doesn't seem anyone here is bringing the tech talk down at all. I'll keep it simple. You may know some of these steps, you may not know others.

1. Open up CMD, type ipconfig
    2. Find these two entries: IPV4 Address and Default Gateway
      • IPV4 Address is your local internal address.
      • Gateway is your modem/firewall. You likely have a modem that acts as the firewall
    3. Put https://<gateway address> in a web browser. Log into the device. Default device credentials are usually on the back of the device, unless its been changed.
    4. See if there's a way to back up the modem/firewall settings then do said back up.
    5. Look through every obvious screen on your modem/firewall till you find port related settings. You'll usually know what it is cause it will ask for the two obvious relevant pieces of information, your IP address, and a relevant port number
      • The port is going to be the IPV4 address from step 2.
      • The default port of Starbound is 21025
    6. Add those entries as UDP/TCP, and that will be fine.
      • Sometimes modems/firewalls ask for the port number to be put in multiple fields. If you see multiple fields for a port number, just put the same port in each one.
      • If the server was already up before you changed port settings, don't forget to restart the server. The server needs to bind to that port, so it's important that the server be restarted before a test.
    7. Save the settings on that page if a save button is hanging out.
    8. Restart that bad boy.
    9. Go to canyouseeme, and try again.
      • Canyouseeme will ONLY see the port if the server is running at the time you do the test.
    10. If it fails, it is likely that there maybe an error on the page you did the port entry, double check everything
    11. Absolutely everything about your connection will be managed at the firewall level, so try, try again, and you'll eventually reverse engineer it using these steps. Don't be afraid to break anything, cause chances are that you won't. Most homes don't have any special settings that need to be retained, so if worst comes to worse, just reset the modems settings from the internal menu (there will be a reset function in there, and a way to back up the current settings)
    12. Profit.
    Modems and firewalls aren't that terribly complcated. At the end of the day, all they want are some numbers, so just plug in the two you know, whereever you can see them fitting, and you'll sort it out. Little trial and error will get you there. Also, if anyone tells you the ISP is blocking ports, they're ignorant. ISP's don't care what consumers do at home.

19. tails230

*GASP* .... Seuro... .... Seuro... canyouseeme just told me there was a connection... I'm... starting to shake... I don't know whats going on, but I feel like its going to work. Yes! I feel it now.
    But nothing I can do till my friend from the Netherlands wakes up and tests it with me. If canyouseeme is connecting to it, that can mean he would be able to connect to it. I just have a few questions I should ask my friend when we try it.
    1. I give him my IP address from Google's 'What's my IP address' right?
    2. I know the first box in the Join Multiplayer is for the IP address, but what's with the 2nd box? Should I just leave that empty?
    3. ... anything else I should know to tell my friend?

20. lazarus78

1. Yes, give him that IP.
    2. The port number. 21025
    3. Stay classy.