1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Fatal Error Code

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Arcipello, Aug 13, 2016.

1. Arcipello

Arcipello Space Spelunker

So i just bought Starbound on steam and i keep getting this error code. I've tried absolutely everything to try and fix it. Does anyone have any idea what's causing it? Please help!

[​IMG]

2. Geth270

Geth270 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

did the game generate any log file? You can find it in your starbound directory under "storage". If there is a file called "starbound.log" can you attach it please.

It would also be helpful if you could provide the information requested by This post (mainly your operating system and PC specification since you can't launch the game).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  3. Arcipello

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate with a 32-bit operating system and I attached a screen shot of the log since i couldn't directly attach the file hopefully you can see it.

Attached Files:

4. Cupa

Cupa Pangalactic Porcupine

Looks like SteamAPI is broken.
    Did you check it via steam yet?

5. Arcipello

Yes i did check it through steam. I can double check though.

Yeah still getting the error. I'll keep messing around with things hopefully ill get it working soon.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. Geth270

Have you tried removing the game and installing it fresh? There is a chance something got corrupted some how.
    You should also check if your system is fully up to date and that it meets the Minimum Requirements of the game.

Honestly so far most "can't run the game" bugs have been a big pain to solve, the log as always is not very helpful, just doesn't point to any specific cause.
    The error it self points to This, it's possible that SB has an issue with your processor, this is why I would like to know more detailed specification of your machine (amount of RAM, processor model, any dedicated GPU?)
    Starbound also has a well known issue with intel graphics, usually the error is different but if you don't have a dedicated graphics card it may well be the culprit.

You should be able to obtain detailed info on your machine by running dxdiag, to do so:
    1.hold the windows key and press R while holding it
    2.type in dxdiag in the window that comes up
    3.hit enter
    If you're not sure what you need to write down just take a a screenshot of the 1st and 2nd tab and attach them.

7. Arcipello

Alright well i attached the specs. I have a feeling that my graphics card may be to blame. Hopefully this helps. And i have uninstalled the game fully and started fresh but still no luck, the same error pops up. Just to make sure i downloaded it on my friends comp, to see if it actually runs, and it runs perfectly.

It could just be my graphics card is just not working with the game.

Attached Files:

8. Geth270

While your gpu is not the most powerful out there it should at least start the game up. You're not running Intel graphics and this is a completely different type of error so I doubt it's the case, and this error is pointing more towards a cpu.
    The cpu you're running may be an issue here actually, it's a processor older than minimum core 2 duo, while technically close in power it could be missing some functionality SB requires. You can find a full comparison between the two Here, or if you're running Pentium 4 641 Here. For whatever reason dxdiag decided to not list the exact cpu model.
    Honestly I don't have enough experience to track down the cause of your error, the CPU is my best guess (and also I'd recommend an upgrade).

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  9. Necrorubi

Necrorubi Space Hobo

I have almost the same error. Starbound runs fine (at least to the main menu) when run from the directory with Steam closed. However, since I am using a Steamcontroller and like to have the ease of Steam-Multiplayer Matchmaking, this is an issue.
    OP, could you check whether you can run from the directory as well?

Attached Files: