Dig a little deeper!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by Armagon, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

A delay-relay, as I'd call it? If such a thing isn't already in, it should be easy enough to add.

Update: the wall buttons use momentaryswitch.lua to self-disable. With that Lua script as an example/guide, one could make a delay-relay.

Update: I am an idiot. There's timers already.

Update: the timers are also idiots.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. Zaturi

Zaturi Aquatic Astronaut

I think it looks a little weird in the picture with burning flames in an underground dungeon. Who is tending the fire?
    It would be more atmospheric if the plants were the only lightsource.
    The video looks really awesome though!! Great work and I can't wait to see dungeons using the new system!

3. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Okay guys, I got delayers for @crimsonneko521

delayers.gif
    That's a regular switch, five-second delayer hooked up to the first light and the others. Then five one-second delayers each with their own light and the door, daisychained together.

I would've gotten them earlier if I wasn't such an idiot.

Edit: attached the actual objects and script for those interested. That includes the devs.

Attached Files:

Jeoshua likes this.
  4. Jeoshua

Jeoshua Existential Complex

I want to see at least one planet in the game that is given certain building pieces to make dungeons out of, halls and stairways and galleries and whatnot, like the current randomly generated dungeon pieces you're talking about, but instead of having a few dungeons, this planet has been given a dungeon percentage chance of 100%. Which means all dungeon, all the time, straight down to the magma.

Name it the Roguelike biome.

5. Proydoha

Proydoha Phantasmal Quasar

There are flickering lamps on abandoned stations in meteor fields.

But it's not horror-movie-flickering. It's more like this one: http://playstarbound.com/wires-nodes-and-ships/
    http://starbounder.org/Flickering_Light. (<---URL isn't showing anything because it's not catching little dot in the end)

And apparently there are flickering lightbulbs but I don't know were to find them:
    http://starbounder.org/Flickering_Lightbulb

Razza999 likes this.
  6. Zephiron

Zephiron Pangalactic Porcupine

Awesome lighting effects on the vid !

....although, once again, when comparing them with wood torches, I find the last ones a little ... super bright ! xD. Hope to see more of it soon ;)

7. Warboss Gron

Warboss Gron Void-Bound Voyager

Did anyone else think of mlp:fim eq cafeteria song, when you first read the name of this by chance, sounds like a good parody if someone made it maybe lol.

8. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

When I try to launch the nightlies, I get this annoying bug:

(StarException) Could not initialize input from configuration.
    (MapException) Key 'InterfaceBar0' not found in Map::get()
    KeyBindings::updateActionsFromConfig()
    KeyBindings::KeyBindings()
    ClientApplication::ClientApplication()
    _SDL_main
    _console_main

I have used nightlies before, so I don't know why it isn't working. I even tried deleting my players folder. I tried reinstalling, and deleting local game content before hand, but for some reason it didn't delete, which I only found out later. 0 ~ 0

EDIT: Also, where's the newsletter gone? I really look forward to that, man!

9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

No, but now I can't help it. Thank you.

10. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Instead of posting a "bug report" in the totally wrong place, you should check the FAQ/Support section. There are 2 or 3 threads about this Issue with a fix inside. ;)

11. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

Oh hello hypothetical proximity alarm system that just became possible. Why yes I do think I will build you into my base one day.

Kawa likes this.
  12. Dosypoo

Dosypoo Starship Captain

The lighting effects in this game are astoundingly well-rendered to the point of almost seeming out of place compared to the Pixelized art everything else has.

13. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Sorry about that. This is the "latest" post, so people pay attention. See, I got a quick response. ;)

14. War_Cookie

War_Cookie Aquatic Astronaut

These look like they still have the problem shared by pretty much every other dungeon in the game, there's no real reason to loot them as they don't have anything but cosmetic statues and other junk only really useful for a themed house. The only dungeons I've really found to be worth looting so far are the ones containing a tech chest (Unless they changed the dungeons any time in the last month or two).

15. King Leonidas

King Leonidas Pangalactic Porcupine

The dwarves... they dug too deep...

16. Alvaro720

Alvaro720 Space Spelunker

Incredible!

I want to be a novakid!!

17. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Hello, Armagon. I'd like to comment on the idea of a plethora of underground structures.

Put simply, I hate it. Anything deep underground makes no logical sense due to realistic concerns about heat, pressure, survival supplies...

I understand that you want to encourage underground exploration, but I feel that that would be better accomplished with things that are not structures. I'd love to see structures that are just below the surface, be they ruins of former civilization (Archaeological questing, anyone?) or an active guerilla war base (Questing for peace?), but not structures situated somewhere in the middle of a planets crust with no apparent entry or exit or method of survival beyond the one the player makes. Maybe the ruins of ruins underground (scattered blocks near magma) to simulate what happens at tectonic plates, but not much else in the way of buildings because...

It just does not make sense! No one would logically dig that far down then bury themselves in there.

Please consider this for the future. Thank you.

18. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Not sure why realism is such a necessity in Starbound. I mean it's a game where you face a goddamn BONE DRAGON! You touch down on whatever planet takes your fancy, no regard for the plethora of dangers beyond breathable atmosphere and hostile native fauna that a planet could realistically pose to you.

I'm not against having a method to madness. It helps suspend belief when that silly feature can actually be explained in a way that makes you go "huh... not quite sure I get it, but I get it!". But having stuff just for plain ol' fun can be just as good, if not better.

19. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Possibly explained through genetic manipulation to encourage the expression of traits which give the thing an appearance of "bone".

Currently true, but CF has.made mention that this (specifically the atmospheres) will change and become less static.

In sci-fi, I'd prefer an explanation than just "because we said so".

20. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

Genetic manipulation eh?

I'll refer you to this

The Bone Dragon (codex)
    Dragons aren't real. That's the story told across all species. Even the Florans, the hunters of great prey, dismiss the idea of dragons as mere folly. Possibly because if they encounter one, they're too busy killing it to notice what it is.

But dragons were real, once, at least if this reanimated bonedragon is to be believed. Lay down the right bait and the creature swoops in from the skies, scorching all in its path. Mindless, murderous, and completely lacking in flesh, it's a sight to behold.

Where does it come from? Nobody knows. Even Greenfinger of the Floran is stumped. Perhaps it is the work of those strange, winged demons sighted on distant planets. Or maybe the unusual Agarans, the mushroom people who till the earth?

Or perhaps it is the work of those mysterious, hooded figures adventurers have spoken of. Those cultists, who claim to possess a dark, necromantic magic, and whose hidden master has yet to play their hand...

Fun Bone Dragon Fact: The only person to successfully tame a bonedragon is Hiraki Corale, who grew bored and released the creature minutes later. When asked, she claimed she had forgotten how she befriended the beast.

Be back at this in a moment.

As I said, any concerns beyond atmosphere and hostile fauna are non-existent. And there's still no mention of that changing anytime soon.

Now back to that Bone Dragon thing:
    The old adage of "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" applies here as well. But as far as magic goes, any explanation is not much better than "because we said so". If the technology behind that reanimated corpse (The codex states so, it is no mechanical or genetically altered beast) is unknown to the point of being considered "Magic", there's really no need to overexplain it.

Besides, if you can hand-wave anything with "They had advanced technology to do [X]", well, there's your answer to deep underground dungeons.

EDIT: This is getting a bit out of topic. This would have to become a separated thread if you wish to discuss it further.