Biome Detail: Bioluminesence

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by SyberSmoke, May 13, 2012.

1. Alvin Flummox

Alvin Flummox Existential Complex

It also tends to create a lot more of a distinctive style because it forces developers to come up with their own complete look for the game rather than just opting for 'what everyone does with the unreal engine'. And I love games with their own style, it's why FFIX is my favourite Final Fantasy. It also allows some things that just wouldn't work as well in a 3D environment!

StarJoe likes this.
  2. SyberSmoke

SyberSmoke Subatomic Cosmonaut

very true indeed.

3. Xann

Xann Void-Bound Voyager

Yes. Yes! YES YES YES YES!

TIY YOU'D BETTER DO THIS. I want to see vivid blue landscapes, twinkling green lights in the distance.. Whole planets that glow! MMmnnn!!

Or, at least, seperate little patches of forest.

4. Xarlos

Xarlos Void-Bound Voyager

Hoping this makes an apperance. Would also like it to come with an ability to grind up said organic material and create bioluminescent and glow-in-the dark paint pigments. it would be very neat to be able to write on walls and only have it visible once the lights are shut off.

Slawthe, Ruban Crusade and Aeryc like this.
  5. Aeryc

Aeryc Scruffy Nerf-Herder

or to make your armor make you look like a space-exploring glowstick!

6. Farathil

Farathil Spaceman Spiff

I would definitely call dibs on that planet for a home planet!
    It sounds wonderful I always loved those type planets in sci fi games/movies.
    This idea reminds me of the land of Wind of Shade from Homestuck. :p
    [​IMG]

Slawthe likes this.
  7. jamusmcgamus

jamusmcgamus Poptop Tamer

you forgot animals, the deep oceans of earth have alot of biolumiscent organisms, jellyfish and what not.

Lucavi and Farathil like this.
  8. Tectal

Tectal Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You're knowledge and sentences convince to your cause. Hurrah!

9. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

Now we're talking!

Aeryc likes this.
  10. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Just dropped in to pat you on the back Smoke, very good suggestion indeed. It would give a really big boost to overall atmosphere.

11. Xren

Xren Pangalactic Porcupine

12. gallowsRenegade

gallowsRenegade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm, ooh, I know! Why not have certain trees on the "rouge planet" faintly glow? And not just glow a single color, like have the "Glow Trees" slowly change different shades or a designated color from warm to cool or cool to warm colors. but when you cut them down, they become normal wood.

13. Owlking

Owlking Aquatic Astronaut

we need more light in our night :D

14. braydon

braydon Phantasmal Quasar

I don't think plants should spread on there own. It would be fine to have bioluminecent plants that you can transplant, but they shouldn't move themselves

15. Goldpork

Goldpork Zero Gravity Genie

So... Glowing Mushrooms?!

16. Xren

Why not? Who doesn't love glowing things.

Goldpork likes this.
  17. Goldpork

Goldpork Zero Gravity Genie

Glowing mushrooms are pretty dang awesome. It's just glowing Agarans I'm worried about!

18. Xren

Hahaha. You fear those puny mushroom people I eat them for dinner. :)
    joking aside when they glow you have the advantage in dark areas when killing them.

19. Sporkenmier

Sporkenmier Void-Bound Voyager

I've dug a million holes....cannot find those mushroom people anywhere. I have found the giant mushrooms underground (once) but goodness knows where, I kept going to see how far down the planet goes....I hit the molten core, roasted some marshmallows :3

ANYWAY I would like to vote YES FOR BIOLUMINESCENCE. I can never find the vote page though. Anyone so kinds to show me where?? :3

20. Ruban Crusade

Ruban Crusade Pangalactic Porcupine

I have never found them underground and I have only seen them in sector x. They generally take over the dewellings of other species, so if an apex house looks unusual, chances are they are close by. I've found several just by running across the surface of several planets in that sector.
    http://playstarbound.com/suggestions/
    I don't know how to get the link to the specific suggestion, but I did see it on the first page, named the same as this thread.