7th July - Trippy Terrains

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 7, 2015.

1. SpaceMaki

SpaceMaki Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awesome! I wanted to ask if is posible to add steam achivments for starbound probably :D? I hope you enjoyed the Minecon, I live 2 far away :c
    and btw I was first commenter :D! :confirm: :chucklefish: :cautious: :poke: :party:

2. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I see Bartwe hiding back there!!

Galactic Avatar, Dunto and Axe Garian like this.
  3. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

You can see a bunch of other Minecon2015 images on comments on the Starbound Dev twitter feed. (between July 3-6)

If you would like to see more about the terrain generation, this illustrated blog by metadept 8 months ago is really cool:

About the July 3rd "Dracula" blog and previous blog:

Some other Nightly News:
    • They have added some code for moving while crouched. (does not work on the Nightly yet though)
    • NPCs can interact with wiring switches, buttons, and consoles now. (seen here, as tcoxxon continues to use diabolical testing methods)
    • Many other objects are also being made to interact with NPCs like the piano in the news post (example: NPCs now mourn and cry over tombstones)
    • 2 new critters were added:
      • Red Breast - A bird similar to an American Robin (don't know enough birds for the exact match)
      • Winter - A sort of alien white fluffy bird head thing
      • Both spawn on Snow planets.
    • Continued work on: the Glitch Underground Maze dungeon, NPC AI / Behaviors, Snow Parallaxes and Microdungeons.
    They added these 5 Alpaca Rune decorative items, along with an Alpaca Guard armor set:
    [​IMG] , [​IMG] , [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG], [​IMG]
    Component, Growth, Home, Knowledge, Life, Ruin
    ^ Pictures and wiki pages uploaded by Katzeus, who is awesome.

[​IMG] They also added Sod (Grass) Blocks, which were seen in GeorgeV's picture last week:
    The new Alpaca runes and guard set can be seen in Quiqksilver's latest Nightly video, as can the Sod blocks and a few other things.

There have also been continual small economy tweaks, mostly bringing down the amount of pixels flowing, while making other items slightly less frustrating to get. Here is a very recent change to monster drop pools for example:
    Code:
    Old --> New
    89% --> 70% - Pixels
    10% --> 20% - Raw Steak
    01% --> 10% - Basic Treasure (items, weapons, costumes, etc.)
    * Reminder: You can select a sentence in this post and then click the "reply" button that pops up to quote just that sentence. (instead of having to quote the entire post and delete most of it manually)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Pilchenstein

Pilchenstein Ketchup Robot

Really digging the happy pianist.

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. justbeast

justbeast Industrial Terraformer

I can't WAIT for the Snow planet improvements to hit Nightly. I've been really enjoying the Lush, Forest & Desert improvements so far!

6. Retr0

Retr0 Pangalactic Porcupine

Pictures posted on the bottom = modern art

7. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I'm gonna need sooooooooooooooooo many Sod Blocks...

TrueEdge likes this.
  8. Godbot

Godbot Big Damn Hero

That's nice and all, but I don't really want this. One of the main reasons you wire something is so that NPCs can't mess with it.

If we're making it so that enemies and friendly NPCs alike can use buttons and levers and just wander into your base, then we should also make some sort of wirable lock that can keep them out. I guess it would have to be able to check the user's identity, or if they have the right key in their inventory. Otherwise, we'd have to rely on, like, lever puzzles that we hope the NPCs will never get right, or light sensors in alcoves for you to use with your flashlight, or something. Or just build a wall over the door when we're not using it.

Security is as old as doors are. That's the point of a door. It's a really basic thing to afford players. And if we can't childproof our bases from NPCs or keep enemies out of them, then that will discourage people from building on planets, which is what the devs have been working so hard to encourage in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Greymir, Axe Garian and PabloM like this.
  9. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

So you can sod off?

Axe Garian and benignInferno like this.
  10. RomadE

RomadE Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please tell me there'll be trippy environments like that available to explore in a future update :DD

tomatelopes likes this.
  11. Mondai

Mondai Title Not Found

LESS surface caves...? But I love my surface caves! :C

tomatelopes likes this.
  12. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Fewer actually. Caves are eminently countable, after all.

13. Axe Garian

Axe Garian Oxygen Tank

The Pianist gal's cute. :)

I'd Bar Brawl for her in her defense if some scoundrel tried to bother her, & I bet my Novakid pal, KS would too. [​IMG] *Insert Novakid Emote here*

14. glasspug

glasspug Phantasmal Quasar

"Today, Tccoxon and Healthire have been doing some work on NPC reactions." Well my reaction to Tccoxon "testing" more NPC reactions: OH GOD NO!

15. Damuranashi

Damuranashi Existential Complex

Is that Steve from the Warframe development team?

16. mishashaurma

mishashaurma Void-Bound Voyager

Happy for you

17. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

I hope there's always at least a few caves that lead the the surface.

Without a map it's kind of annoying when there's nothing like a hint telling you there's a nice place to start digging.

18. cwalter5

cwalter5 Void-Bound Voyager

Thank you Stannis Baratheon.

jasonzoo123 likes this.
  19. DMPumuki

DMPumuki Void-Bound Voyager