2nd July - For a Few Pixels More

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jul 2, 2015.

1. mollygos submitted a new blog post:

2nd July - For a Few Pixels More

Continue reading the Original Blog Post

2. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Wow, that stuff looks even cooler in-game... Now we just need both the Hylotl and Novakid furniture to be properly implemented, so that we don't need to cheat.
    GG on that stuff though!

UnsoundM and Relten like this.
  3. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Hooray swinging saloon doors! I hope that piano is playable. (or can play itself)

Nightly News
    • They are working on Snow parallaxes and microdungeons now, which means the starter planet is Snow. This blocks progression since Iron does not spawn on Snow planets. (you have to spawn "ironore")
    • GeorgeV tweeted a picture of what I believe is one of the new Snow microdungeons, which might have a new type of chain. Tiy called the picture "Celtic Alien Alpaca".
    • There are now 6 gas colors that signify different types of status effects:
      • Blue - Bouncy
      • Green
      • Dark Green - Poison
      • Yellow
      • Red - Rage
      • Pink - Healing
    • Work continues on: the Glitch Underground Maze dungeon, Desert/Snow parallaxes and microdungeons, Colony tenants. Edit: GeorgeV is still visually updating the oldest human furniture as well.
    • NPC AI and behaviors also continue to get a ton of work, which hard to report on both because of the amount of it (150k+ lines over the past 2 days on Kawa's diffs) and because of the complexity.
    • They tweaked many planet images in the navigation console, mainly Gas Giants so far.
    • Platforms got small mechanic tweaks, which broke them on the Nightly yesterday, but they are now fixed again.
    • They changed the code behind Challenge Doors and Ancient Gateways, among other warping mechanisms.
      • This made Challenge Doors crash the game yesterday, but it is now fixed.
      • The purpose of this change was to make Challenge Doors one run only (per door found), and prevent them from being mined and moved around. (These features aren't working on the Nightly yet, but will be coming at some point, per metadept)
      • Side note: I saw one of the new challenge rooms while testing the fix, and holy bird jesus was it fantastic.. may have to make a few preview images or a non-spoilery video.
      • There are over 30 challenge rooms finished, with at least 20 more coming over the next few updates
    • Quiqksilver posted a continuation of his spooky hallway/monster series. (previous entries here and here)
    • Quiqksilver also posted another Nightly roundup video a few days ago that I don't think I mentioned. In the video you can see: Log and Cabin Roofing blocks, a new Forest vine parallax, several of the newer Critters, many new surface microdungeons (one of which has a Bird's Nest in it)
    • Chucklefish will have a booth at Minecon2015 (in London) this weekend, and Kyren is going to be on a panel Saturday about being an indie dev.
    They added this awesome Gothic Couch:

[​IMG]

Metadept posted a neat smashables gif on twitter: "Sometimes little details go a long way:"

[​IMG]

^ Pots now have fragmentation animations when broken! (and the cat wasn't pleased)
    This includes many items not in this gif, like bushes, seashells, crystals, and bones.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  4. Hatsya Souji

Hatsya Souji Parsec Taste Tester

Say, what material is that roof?

Then again: NEVER FORGET THE HYLOTL ON THE SURFACE first.

5. THE SPOOKY COUCH!
    I'm a fan of the spooky couch.

6. Sir Orrin

Sir Orrin Tentacle Wrangler

LEGAL GOODS!

7. I_am_a_perso

I_am_a_perso Void-Bound Voyager

I would just like to say, I am from New Mexico and I am very unoffended. Probably since I know a dozen people who talk like that...but I don't know what you guys called the spittoon.:lod:

Relten likes this.
  8. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

Well, howdy! This new content of yours is ace-high!

9. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

Two suggestions for the "Old West style".

1. A new sign should be sprited. The Glitch "Inn" sign could be used, but a saloon deserves a saloon sign in my opinion.

2. No outdoor lighting. It bugs me that its there because I've never seen outdoor lighting fixtures in shots of the Old West.

And there better be a Prairie Dew consumable soon! :D

10. SelahJimm

SelahJimm Void-Bound Voyager

Lookin' awesome! Also the Nightly news sounds great. I look forward to the new parallaxes.

On a related note: I experienced the "Lava Climb" Challenge Door and my heart was racing the whole time. I look forward to seeing what other planned challenges there are.

Varixai likes this.
  11. Supergeek

Supergeek Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I want the Terraria underground gen, progression, and events/boss fights combined with Starbound's everything else. Is that too much to ask?

12. Unclever title

Unclever title Cosmic Narwhal

As am I, it seems like something Dracula would have in his mansion.

[​IMG]

Belmont: Die sofa. You don't belong in this world!

Dracula's Couch: It was not by my hand that I am once again given upholstery. I was called here by humans, who wish to lounge in luxurious evil.

Belmont: Lounging? You steal men's souls, and make them your caretakers.

Dracula's Couch: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

Belmont:
    Your words are as twisted as your springs. Mankind ill needs a settee such as you.

Dracula's Couch:
    What is a man?!
    *wineglass falls off the armrest and shatters*
    No, seriously, what is a man? I never figured this out.

I'm a couch.

Varixai, OldProphet, Greymir and 5 others like this.
  13. joaorafaelrr

joaorafaelrr Subatomic Cosmonaut

Bounty Hunter Quests! Please!?
    Maybe a lasso and a horse. YHAA! lol :p
    Anyway, playing terraria update. Love the new expert mode. But always come here to check starbound news. I love this game to. Don't fight for me girls. Love u all. lol

14. shannyxvx

shannyxvx Space Spelunker

That is a lovely couch.. I hope this means that there is a going to be a gothic/vampiric furniture set and maybe vanity armor coming? :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  15. Crystan

Crystan Maverick Hunter

Wow, the smashing potts particle effect is really nice! Adds a lot of visual feedback!

And the Saloon looks really nice! Obviously this pixel is too small for us both! Draw!

The | Suit likes this.
  16. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The new Cabin Roofing.

I'm not sure, but here's a little more info: The couch is in a new objects folder called "Themed". There are 2 themed folders so far:
    • Gothic - Has this "Gothic Couch". The name may change too, since it doesn't have an object file yet, only a picture.
    • Island - Has the new Island Chair, which is currently sold at the outpost Frögg Furnishing store for 375 pixels.
    [​IMG]

SupaSlide on the reddit thread for this news post made a good observation: "It looks like those swinging doors don't need to be interacted with to walk through :O I hope we get more cool special furniture like that!"

^ That functionality didn't stand out to me until he said it. The 'doors' are basically furniture items that interact with the player, which is very cool.

Since they don't require interaction to open, I wonder if they could make them lock/unlock when you interact with them? That would be nifty.

17. Wulfharth

Wulfharth Astral Cartographer

Do you have a thread dedicated to your nightly news yet? That is the main reason I look in the dev blog.

It's great to actually know what is being added to nightly, and get a peek at what's coming soon.

To reiterate, you should start your own thread.

Varixai likes this.
  18. Sadiesaur

Sadiesaur Void-Bound Voyager

I can't wait to see what else will be created that are Novakid related!
    These updates and progressions are awesome!
    You guys are doing great!

19. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

I used to post my diffs in these threads. Then it was suggested I consolidate them somewhere.

Now, @Varixai posts breakdowns and gets almost the same suggestion.

Ah, history...

20. NuclearPyro

NuclearPyro Tentacle Wrangler

Does this mean we will see Novakid and Hylotl Towns?

Hatsya Souji likes this.