2nd of June, 2014: Dev Blog GeorgeV!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by GeorgeV, Jun 2, 2014.

1. supernovus

supernovus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, I for one, like the horse.

2. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

of course.

3. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I really don't like the horse AI. It's actually making me want to not play that race.

Gelu, Grulul, Pingeh and 3 others like this.
  4. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

But could the head be replaced with a sunflower or something more floran-y? I also feel the horse for the glitch is too meme easter eggy. And to be honest, it kinda scares me. Could Glitch AI be something else? Like a lightbulb? The electric arc between the two filaments can be the "speech" thing.

I don't feel your excuse "Florans are savage tech stealers and can't implement things" is very weak and doesn't justify having such an uncreative knock off of the humans.

The horse also does not make me immediately know it is glitch AI. The excuse "But horses and female medieval stuff" is flimsy too. It doesn't have a classic look unlike the Apex and Hylotyl.

Lecic and Redcorpian like this.
  5. Mr. Biscuit

Mr. Biscuit Aquatic Astronaut

I don't get the horse one at all, it really kinda freaks me out :whoop:

Lecic and Redcorpian like this.
  6. Animator

Animator Cosmic Narwhal

That horselady isn't blinking. She's winking.

It's fate.

Chompy likes this.
  7. Jim the Enchanter

Jim the Enchanter Void-Bound Voyager

Hooray for stealing and hacking technology!!! and just a question, is the horseface person permanent?

8. Aurtose

Aurtose Subatomic Cosmonaut

Horse is too creepy, go full horse or no horse plz.

9. Poppinz

Poppinz Pangalactic Porcupine

its entirely viable to have a different floran ai, but specifically for the ship it does make sense because they reverse engineer the tech, so it makes sense that it would look similar to a human ship ai, but different, cause reverse engineered?

ProkhorVLG likes this.
  10. I fear for those around you.

11. Rossomak

Rossomak Void-Bound Voyager

I don't get the human AI, the horse is disturbing and terrifying and I like the floran AI. I kind of wish the avian AI had more personality, somehow. Oh, and why isn't the apex's AI's teeth moving with his mouth? That's really creepy too. I think the Hyotyl AI is very fitting.

Redcorpian and ProkhorVLG like this.
  12. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

Horse = Glitch
    Crystal = Avian
    ??? = Novakid
    Blue guy = Human
    Green guy = Floran
    Sensei = Hylotl
    Big Ape = Apex

I feel as if these need to be slowed down slightly... the crystal hurts my eyes if I look at it too long, and things shouldn't mover thier mouths that fast...

13. Windcaller

Windcaller Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think it would be lovely if the AI for the Avians was a really cool Harpy of some sort.

14. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

The animations for most of the AI avatars are coming along very nicely. :up: All but one of them look awesome.

But, instead of having a freakish she-horse laugh at us creepily, we now have a freakish she-horse wink at us creepily. :badpokerface: IMO, it's not much of a change and it doesn't fit the Glitch any better. :down:

Question: Have the devs seen the Horse with Boobs for Glitch (Poll: Yes or No?) thread recently? Currently, the vote is 40.6% for and 59.4% against.

Did the devs have their minds made up even before Horse Woman was drawn? I'm just wondering if the poll somehow managed over a 90% disapproval rate and thousands of votes - if even that would be enough to change the devs' minds? Was it set in concrete before we had a chance to voice an opinion?

We've seen a couple explanations for why a horse theme supposedly fits the Glitch. But I still don't get it. And I'm not the only one.

At best, I could see how some believe the Horse with Boobs loosely fits the Glitch lore. But how anyone can say - in all honesty - that it's a "perfect match" is beyond my comprehension. Could someone please explain this in more detail?

Weird, isn't it? Many of us had to guess which race the Horse With Boobs is supposed to fit. And when we find out, we do a double-take and go, "Huh?!" :whaaat:

So, this Horse Woman is based on an Internet Meme which the Japanese popularized? And this makes it fit the Glitch... how? :unsure:

So, it's subtle symbolism about outcasts trying to spread anarchy and stir up anti-government sentiment?

Yeah, that's... not obvious at all. I'm glad you explained this because, even with the relevant Glitch Codex entries, I would not get it. And not all of us are history buffs who remember or know who Guy Fawkes is.

Anyway, I thought the main reason for Horse With Boobs was because it was supposed to be hilarious?

Again and again, we see players declare that if they are stuck with this horse freak, then they will refuse to play as Glitch.

This defeats the purpose of having an AI interface, does it not? Isn't the whole point of this new system to have a central system to do ship-related stuff and make it easier for the players? But what good is it if it dissuades many from playing as Glitch (at least without a mod)?

The AI interface is supposed to have wide appeal to players. But in this one instance it is very obviously super divisive.

I'm a huge fan of Japanese anime and other aspects of Japanese culture. But, let's face it: They are known to produce some of the weirdest stuff on the planet. Example: They have vending machines that sell used underwear for perverts to buy and then sniff. (I kid you not.)

You're not the only one. Among others, capthavic suggested as much in the 27th of May, 2014: GeorgeV Super Update thread.

And I would agree that horses fit the Novakids' western theme better. Just remove the breasts, turn it into a regular four-legged (albeit,talking) horse, and give it to the Novakids and this would have my support. Something like this:
    [​IMG]

Some proponents have been claiming that it fits the Glitch because... Medieval = Knights = riding a steed = riding in a starship. :unsure: That's a huge stretch! :speechless:

And, yes, if you're going with that analogy at least be serious about it and turn it into an actual steed, as in a
    quadruped or some animal you can ride.

This Yes/NO poll says otherwise.

Indeed. If we apply this logic to other aspects of the game, then we shouldn't bother to voice disapproval of something or offer suggestions. Because... mods? Because if there's something we don't like - even if this "we" constitutes over 50% of the player base - then we should just suck it up and create our own mods to fix it? That, or wait for someone else to made these mods and then install said mods?

Keep in mind: For various reasons, many players refuse to use mods of any sort. And many servers refuse to allow mods of any sort.

We are talking about WIP aspects of a game that's still in beta. It's still relatively easy for the devs to change this stuff now, rather than later when all the dialog and stuff is finalized.

Mark my words: When we actually get to play test the AI, I predict there will be many more complaints about Horse With Boobs then than what we've already seen (assuming Glitch are still stuck with it). And that's saying something.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Rossomak, SomaSam, Lecic and 7 others like this.
  15. SomaSam

SomaSam Big Damn Hero

The horse... is still here. At least its yellow, I like the uniqueness each race is getting. But I was really hoping it was just a joke. Even if it is a juxtaposition, I still am not a fan of the horse AI. Sure it is funny at first, and maybe it could work as a joke the AI plays every once and a while, but I would get real tired if I had to see that thing every time I wanted to print some furniture or put in a new tech. It kind of makes me not want to be a glitch.

I do really like the other AIs though, especially the old Hylotl sensei and the Avian Power Crystal. Since the Florians steal all their tech (love how that lore is being reflected in game) I think it would be kind of cool to see their AI randomly switch to a different race's AI and then flicker back.

Another possibility could be multiple AI options. Of course this would require more work on the dev's part, but it would easily solve the horse AI problem and give people more options for what they want on their ship.

16. ReverendBonobo

ReverendBonobo Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The more weirded-out people get about that horse, the more I like it.

All hail Tittyhorse!

Chompy, Capt_Electron and Zouleena like this.
  17. Kiro

Kiro Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I feel like the Glitch AI should be the Novakid's AI instead.

Rossomak likes this.
  18. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Well it comes onto this concept

During that time Catholics were persecuted in England. They were hoping when King James I England (or VI - Scotland) came to power things would change. But instead King James believed in the Divine Right of Kings - that god ordained him to be god. So if a religion was present which said there was another god, then he would loose his power.

King James felt these people were outcasts of society and allowed them to persecuted. In fact before the Gunpowder plot there were 2 other attempts on his life. The Gunpowder plot is what essentially struck home in case of anonymity. Where the famous mask is shown to this day.

Replace the symbolism - add a little comedy - an all of a sudden you got a deep story line - which is easily digestible. A great story writer looks into the past for inspiration. Which is one reason I love Blizzard - almost all their characters - the naming of their buildings and story concepts are taken from pages of history ( or great classic novels )

19. Rob OtMan

Rob OtMan Void-Bound Voyager

i really want that chicken though, and all i do is play as a glitch, i would like it if we could change the ai and the little working people to which of the races we wanted

20. Rune the Red Panda

Rune the Red Panda Existential Complex

The duck! it's so adorable umgg