[UNSTABLE] Updates March 8, 2014

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 8, 2014.

1. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

i cant wait check this out

2. Hyeroshi

Hyeroshi Subatomic Cosmonaut

This update looks good. Little tweaks here and there and more weather makes for good atmosphere. I'd like to address the lag regarding the Avian pirate ships though.

3. Soundless Productions

Soundless Productions Aquatic Astronaut

It's not an update, it's a patch. Patches are meant to repair bugs, glitches, crashes, data corruption, incompatibility issues and the like. Consider yourself lucky that the game is even open to early access and we're not still sitting around waiting for the game to be released.
    You literally don't have a right to complain about the game until it's out of beta. Because it's not a finished product. It's equivalent to complaining about how shitty interstellar space travel is. Because that isn't developed yet either.
    Now, critiquing, on the other hand, is something that can be useful to development. But disrespectful jargon, especially toward someone who's given you your Christmas present early, because it's not finished yet, is just being a dick.
    Let the developers develop at the rate they please or get a crappy mock up of what could have been an awesome game. The choice is yours.

4. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

wow, already with the guns.
    I'm not complaining lol. I'm not like those other people who freak out and call the devs bad people and blah blah blah. I just said I wish they updated more often.

Liktorn likes this.
  5. Soundless Productions

Soundless Productions Aquatic Astronaut

Sounds like it.

Gopherborn likes this.
  6. pop-yotheweird

my bad, I didn't know I couldn't voice my discomfort.
    hey, thanks for being such a nice guy though.

Ramones_fan and Liktorn like this.
  7. Svanire

Svanire Scruffy Nerf-Herder

While I do agree with you, this guy needs to seriously learn some patience, he technically -does- have the right to complain. There's nothing in the TOS that says he can't, as long as he's not being abusive.

8. pop-yotheweird

wait, seriously?
    I was just saying that they should update more often, or at least with more content. I ain't condemning the developers, or even the game lol.
    yeah, I was a little too forward with my earlier posts but I highly doubt you guys feel very different.

Ramones_fan and Liktorn like this.
  9. Varixai

Varixai Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Have you fixed the now 3 items in Heck that cause crashes if we attempt to actually visit the Biome? Otherwise this doesn't matter as we can't go there anyways.. :(

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
    supaman and Jardi-Gol like this.
  10. Sponger

Sponger Poptop Tamer

noice gonna love the armor mods

11. Crabcakes

Crabcakes Astral Cartographer

I am experiencing severe lag in monster animations with this update. They are moving at like one frame per second while my movement is normal, with both existing and new characters. I am about to start a new universe and see if it carries over, but it is really bad. The lagged animations let me kill anything without taking damage, because the overall frame rate is fine.

There was also severe lag loading textures, large blank spaces that would suddenly fill.

12. Sh0elace

Sh0elace Phantasmal Quasar

Weather system is looking good:cookie:

13. XinwxHleak

XinwxHleak Void-Bound Voyager

I'm getting
    Code:
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for chestplant1, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for barvent, using default
    Warn: Missing inventoryIcon for wreckvent, using default
    Error: Could not load /items/armors/backitems/slimcape/slimcapebackicon.png asset, attempting to use default.
    AssetException: No such asset '/items/armors/backitems/slimcape/slimcapebackicon.png'
      Assets::open(String)
      _Function_handler<shared_ptr<Assets::AssetData> (), Assets::loadBaseImage(String)::{lambda()#1}>::(_Any_data)
      Assets::processAssetData(function<shared_ptr<Assets::AssetData> ()>)
      Assets::loadBaseImage(String)
      Assets::loadAsset(Assets::AssetId)
      Assets::loadImage(String)
      Assets::loadAsset(Assets::AssetId)
      Assets::doLoad(Assets::AssetId)
      Assets::getAsset(Assets::AssetId)
      Assets::image(String)
      ImageMetadataDatabase::imageSize(String)
      Drawable::boundBox(bool)
      Drawables::boundBox(bool)
      Drawables::center(bool, bool)
      Item::setIconDrawables(Drawables)
      Item::Item(Variant, String, Variant)
      ArmorItem::ArmorItem(Variant, String, Variant)
      BackArmor::BackArmor(Variant, String, Variant)
      ItemDatabase::createItem(ItemDescriptor)
      ItemDatabase::item(ItemDescriptor)
      Recipe::Recipe(Variant)
      RecipeDatabase::parseRecipe(Variant)
      RecipeDatabase::scan()
      Root::reload()
      Root::initialize(String, String, bool)
      _main
      ___mingw_CRTStartup
      _mainCRTStartup
      RtlInitializeExceptionChain
      RtlInitializeExceptionChain

when starting a server. It doesn't seem to actually break anything, but it happens every time.

14. Kyasupah

Kyasupah Pangalactic Porcupine

Ya i agree.. :zzz: These random items I couldn't care less about. Focus on the GAME. Open up ocean biomes, bring us the space stations that were promised, let me built teleport pads to various locations. I don't want a goat skull, or various muchroom hats.. :down: I want sci-fi shit.

15. ___MeRliN___

___MeRliN___ Guest

Mhhh Floran Pods... more Floran stuff :D

16. pop-yotheweird

that's all I'm saying. hats are cool and awesome and stuff. me, personally, I want lore. I want to see more content. new dungeons, more race stuff. lore.

Kyasupah likes this.
  17. Inny

Inny Cosmic Narwhal

For those, use this mod : http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?resources/icon-fix.1774/

I'll have a look at this new one, unless the devs fix it in a new unstable update.

18. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

It appears that they added a slime cape item file without actually adding the icon that the file tells it to use.
    Those other three, yeah, they're stupid errors that anyone could fix if they cared.

19. Fawxkitteh

Fawxkitteh Phantasmal Quasar

I understand where you are coming from.
    They did updates with huge changes to the system, then said they were changing the way things were done so system and content updates were separate.
    During this time, they basically said we could expect updated every 2-3 days instead of 2 weeks.

So after almost a week, I'd have expected a little more.
    I'm not demanding it, not angry with them for miscalculating their progress rate.
    And I do remember them saying something about moving people around, so they may have been busy with that.
    Its just a bit unexpected, given the previous information.

But I for one LOVE that they are adding weather effects.
    I want planetary dangers that aren't solely based on creatures.
    I want that exploration feel that comes with games like Metroid, and updates like these tremendously deliver on my hopes for this game.

dawg911 and pop-yotheweird like this.
  20. UnluckyStorm

UnluckyStorm Void-Bound Voyager

Bear in mind everyone...
    They've been moving into a new office. A lot of the team has been dedicated to sorting out their new area of operations.

Look at it this way, with a brand new, super-efficient office hopefully now set up (or soon), they'll then churn things out much quicker!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
    Bonobo Fett, vanella and Blue like this.