[UNSTABLE] Updates March 8, 2014

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Mar 8, 2014.

1. Hylotl UK

Hylotl UK Poptop Tamer

These agarans will be a new race ? Or just a plague spreading across the whole universe ?

2. Ramones_fan

Ramones_fan Pangalactic Porcupine

I know that the vanity items are a lot simpler than engine updates, but to be honest, i would rather hear about what progress there on new game mechanics.

3. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

Not Json bugfixing. That's a piece of cake. Find broken file, find working file that looks similar, compare, see what is different about broken file, fix what is broken.
    The chestplant1 included no icon, so GeorgeV should go make a new icon for it.
    Meanwhile the barvent and one other object (i think it was the wreckvent) are missing the line that points towards their inventory icons, so their inventory icons are Xs. This can be fixed by copying the inventoryicon line from another file and replacing the "whatevericon.png" with "barventicon.png" or "wreckventicon.png".
    Some of GeorgeV's recently added objects don't have proper descriptions (the gold jugs all borrow descriptions from the wicker baskets), and many of them lack a proper object category (such as decorative) simply because he didn't include the objectcategory line.
    One of the switch objects (I think it's medievalswitch, it looks like a lever) has three frames for changing state instead of two, but the animation file points to the two-frame script (either that or the .frames file is messed up i dont remember which) so it doesn't change frames at all when it changes state. This can be fixed with a little bit of know-how. I managed it.
    All the Apex dungeons STILL try to add lore treasure to the apexcooldesk (Cool Desk)... which is NOT a storage item. This renders the Apex Test Chambers lore (the Incarcerus notes) unobtainable.
    Most of the treasure pools that include stims inexplicably exclude the green stim.
    There's still three invalid items in the Heck treasure pool that crash people that can easily be fixed, so easily that I TOLD TIY HOW TO FIX IT OVER IRC (got no response).
    A few of the so-far-unused hylotl sign objects are missing the shortDescription line that indicates their inventory item name.
    A large number of the unused hylotl objects are clearly missing intended functionality; despite the player descriptions telling you to open the Shipping Crate to see what's inside, it's not actually a storage container (ditto with the store shelves, drink machines, cash registers, and a dozen other storage items).
    All these things, I have fixed. Add up the times required, was two hours total. Json is really NOT THAT HARD to get the hang of, so I don't understand how they KEEP MISSING THESE THINGS.

And I think recently they removed the "wire" functionality from the Cool Computer (I could swear they were wires before the Enraged update, but now they're decorative, which is OK because I plan on using them as crafting stations).

D-16 likes this.
  4. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

furthermore, it shows they do not test what they implement. how hard is it to see that the cooldesk item is not a container? why did they not notice the heck items crash the game when they advertize one in a newspost? i dont think they are keeping notes, and i wonder if they have even built tools to allow non-programmers to easily add content.

5. Magmarashi

Magmarashi Cosmic Narwhal

Psst it's an Unstable for a Beta, It's literally a playtest for a playtest we're supposed to be spotting these errors and telling them about them because that's what being in a beta is for, and using the unstable branch of the beta is even MORE for being a playtester. Sorta pointless to playtest it before giving it to your playtesters who are then playtesting it for the OTHER playtesters ya dig?

6. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

i program. before i push any update, i test what i have done to ensure it works as i intend. then i release and let users find where ive screwed up.

they didnt do that.

and they were told about these things, hours after pushing to unstable, yet they persist after unstable was pushed to stable.

please, read what the discussion is about before replying. you'll see that bill here even told tiy about it over IRC, but no fix (bill also logged the time it took him to fix all of these bugs. 2 hours, time is no excuse)

7. IronFistSurvivor

IronFistSurvivor Subatomic Cosmonaut

Makes sense, but I have heard that sometimes bugfixes require full recoding of the game.

8. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

depends on the code in question, and the bug. i'm on the second rewrite of my "gamedata editor" for my own project. i was a big dummy and didnt take notes, thus the structure of my program became stupidly complex as i had forgotten what conventions i was applying. i have to restructure the biggest chunk of the program in order to squash bugs i introduced in my last update.

9. Perq

Perq Phantasmal Quasar

Hoooray, finally something that will drop my FPS below 10! Cities with weather rain were the lowest (think this might be even less than 10 actually), and now I have also snowstorm to make it even less!

Yes, I'm mad, because people with low end computers are ignored over and over again, as my game runs like shit, and neither we get any actual fixes for that, nor information that this will improve.
    As for now, I'm opting for myself for a (ain't gonna happen) refund.

10. pop-yotheweird

pop-yotheweird Ketchup Robot

mfw they won't optimize until later but people want refunds just to buy the game when it's released

D-16 likes this.
  11. Your Buddy Bill

Your Buddy Bill Existential Complex

I'm pretty sure you can go mod the weather type to cause the particle spawn rate to drop drastically, thus vastly improving your frame rate.

12. Bassen_Hjertelos

Bassen_Hjertelos Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm thankful they toned them down. I was zigzagging between meteors every two minutes before the last patch.

13. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

at least you can dodge meteors. almost every planet i visit inexplicably has acid rain, and there is no dodging that.

14. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

That made me think about something, I explain , when i start a new game and lets say i found the double jump tech , i will find chest with double jump tech on almost every planet i visit and no other tech in sight. Lets say i find an avian tower with those avian shooter all over the tower , i will find that same tower on like 4/5 planet i visit. i dont know how to explain this better, but its like the game is getting a trend and keep trowing the same event and chest content back at me ....

Am i the only one who noticed this ?

15. pop-yotheweird

no, you're one of thousands who've noticed that the game isn't complete yet. congratulations.

16. dawg911

dawg911 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Dhu! are you fucking kidding me! Go bother someone else Mr Knowitall!

edit: is there i badge for being a total asshole a didnt see ?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  17. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

nice demonstration of "sarcasm fail"

completeness does not count for how often something comes up compared to something else.

dawg911 likes this.
  18. pop-yotheweird

that's like saying people should be mad when Rupees appear more often than Hearts in EVERY Zelda game.
    I mean, you'd think they would get it right at some point. then again, I haven't played the newest one so.

19. D-16

D-16 Spaceman Spiff

no, the analogy does not work. while based on the same mechanics, terrain generation is a great deal more complex than drop rates.

and nobody is mad. we're remarking of the quirks of the procedural generation of planets.

dawg911 likes this.
  20. Lyze

Lyze Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ew gross, I just realized those were little brains budding on those trees. Oh starbound, your universe is so efffed up.