1. Welcome to the Art + Literature sections! Some things to keep in mind:
    • It's a good idea to specify whether or not you're looking for critique from your fellow members. Please don't let friendly criticism turn into an all-out flame war.
    • Art and literature often deal with mature subjects. This is fine, but please keep in mind that we'd like to keep things PG-13. Don't let discussions get out of hand, and if they do, please alert a moderator.
    • If you've got a request, please use the [REQUEST] prefix!

Pixel Unsound's Ships

Discussion in 'Art' started by UnsoundM, Jan 6, 2014.

1. UnsoundM

UnsoundM Subatomic Cosmonaut

Howdy folks, M here with some custom sprited ships and other little odds and ends. I've been doing pixel art for the better half of a decade now and Starbound gave me a good excuse to get back into it.

So far the two closest to completion are

Ships
    The Junker (made for my own custom race suggestion HERE).
    [​IMG]

The Voleurite Runner (made for Unit-2417 based on his species The Voleurite).
    [​IMG]

Unofficial Novakid ship for BlastRed's Novakid Mod
    [​IMG]

The Desulti ASF Transporter. A WIP for Jonesy, based on his original species the Desulti
    [​IMG]

Note: The first two designs were retweeted and commented on by the official Starbound Twitter :D
    [​IMG]

Other stuff

Custome Race- The Faircrypt
    [​IMG]

Combining Okami with the original Super Mario Brothers cover
    [​IMG]

Mordecai from Borderlands
    [​IMG]

Various 8bit Spaceships. This design was actually featured on RIPT Apparel
    [​IMG]

2 colors GB design
    [​IMG]

Various simple vehicle sprites
    [​IMG]

I have a ton more that I haven't posted, I've just been doing this for too long to be able to list it all.

I am very open to feedback and suggestions. Sadly I probably will not be doing commissions or requests anytime soon as each of these take me a few days to complete and really are spur of the moment things. That being said if you have a cool idea or concept feel free to suggest it, just no promises that any of them will get a chance to be made.

Lastly, there is no guarantee that any project I start will be completed. I'll often jump from one project to another and then back again. Some ships may go weeks without a proper update, others may sit indefinitely if I run out of ideas on what to do with it. So that being said, even if I do start a ship based on something you've suggested, there is a chance that it will not be 100% finished. :/ sowwy.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  2. I must say, those look legit. Like, they could already be in the game.

Zomrabitt and ImmortalFrog like this.
  3. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Those are probably some of the better custom ships I've seen. They both seem to match the respective race well. Pity you're not taking requests, or I'd get you to make a ship for my race as well. I'll be sure to keep an eye on your work. :D

4. UnsoundM

Link me to the page so I can see what they're like? :D I love seeing other people's ideas.

5. Jonesy

UnsoundM likes this.
  6. UnsoundM

Hmmm, perhaps I could try to do something sort of militaristic that would fit them... I'd have to derp around in concept-land a bit first to see if I can do it.

EDIT: Maybe even something kinda resembling WWII era technology. The sleek fighter planes and battleships and subs and whatnot.

EDIT AGAIN: A very very basic outline taking ques from WWII bombers
    [​IMG]

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN: And with a bit of color for a general idea
    [​IMG]

EDIT AGAIN AGAIN AGAIN: Welp, looking like I'm doing this

Nothing say back off like an upside-down anitaircraft gun
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
    pigrocket and Jonesy like this.
  7. Jonesy

Wow, that's good. I wasn't expecting a design like that. A while back, I messed with designing their ships after trucks or planes, but I think that works very well.

8. UnsoundM

:D coolness. So like I did with Unit, if I do end up polishing this off to the point where it looks official how about in turn for inspiring it I'll name the ship after your oc species and whenever I post it anywhere (usually DA and Twitter) I'll include a link to your suggestion page. Also if you do end up liking it you can totally add it to your suggestion page. Sound good?

Jonesy likes this.
  9. Jonesy

Sure thing. But, one small request; could you please change the small yellow details (like on the rims of the wing, engines and gun barrel and so forth) to a middling green? Might match the naval uniforms a little better.

UnsoundM likes this.
  10. UnsoundM

How's something more like this. The green and yellow included were both take directly from the uniforms on your topic to match them closer, and I shifted the color of all the metal to a slightly more earthy tone to bring it closer to the tribal background of the species.
    [​IMG] http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f341/El-Ben-Zo/El-Ben-Zo037/TheBomberColor.png

Jonesy likes this.
  11. Horizons Reach

Horizons Reach Void-Bound Voyager

Could you make a side for any one of these? ( I have more, this is an old one.)

[​IMG]

12. UnsoundM

Perhaps sometime down the road when I'm done with my current projects haha. I was admiring these in the pixel art thread you posted them in, very nice work!

13. Horizons Reach

Horizons Reach Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks! I'm still rather new to pixel spriting, a compliment like that means the world to me. :)

14. UnsoundM

Somebody on Twitter actually suggested that I try a sort of biotech look for a future ship, so if I do end up doing that your concepts will defiantly be the first things I take a look at and if any of them work I'll totally try to make them into a SB ship!

Updated the op with the current version of the ship I'm working on. For the time being I'm calling it the Desulti ASF Transporter (based on Jonesy's original species the Desulti)

Looking at it I think the green might need to be greener in the next update. I nicked the colors right off of one of the concept sprites to try to get a sense of unity, but on this scale it just looks like a dull mustard yellow.

15. Jonesy

Well, that seems to work pretty well. :up:

16. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

Jonesy likes this.
  17. UnsoundM

Considering ChuckleFish is going to be officially adding them to the game I assume they already have an official design for their ship just waiting to be revealed, and chances are that design IS going to be Train based... so why put a ton of time into something that can be made obsolete the moment the drop the update with the new race?

EDIT: I must admit, I am actually very interested in the idea the more I think about it- just kinda seems like it'll all be for nothing after the game release >.> Like I'm even doing some shorthand outline stuff and it looks like it could be really cool

EDIT AGAIN: Dammit why do you people keep peaking my interest. Look I did a very basic outline but I'm stuck on an idea for what would be the propulsion system-
    [​IMG]

(Note to Jonesy, don't worry this doesn't mean I'm not working on the other ship too, I just needed to outline this one while the idea was fresh in my head)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
    BlastRed likes this.
  18. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

What if they add this mod instead of worrying about it? Just think, YOUR SHIP THAT YOU MADE FOR THE NOVAKIDS, in the game! What an honor that'd be!
    and it looks amazing already!

19. UnsoundM

Yeah haha I really don't see that happening. I'm sure they had a ton of Novakid assets done long before they even officially announced it.

20. BlastRed

BlastRed Spaceman Spiff

I doubt it, theres so many other things to be focused on now, and thats a two tiers away
    i really doubt they added starter pets and fossils already instead of focusing on game mechanics (etc.)
    so, i can see that happening