Modding Discussion Turn Off Meteor Showers??

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Vandrick, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Vandrick

Vandrick Phantasmal Quasar

Any mod or simple file edit that can do this? I love the feature, but it's broken as it is now. We're having a hard time on our server with them and are getting tired of rebuilding everything. Not being able to have access to a planet's meteor shower chances wastes a lot of time. And there definitely needs to be just as many safe planets as hazardous planets.

2. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

You can adjust the weather types on a biome by biome basis in biomes/surface/(biome).surfacebiome.

Scroll down until you see something like:

Code:
    "weather" : [
          [
            [0.1, "rain"],  
            [0.05, "storm"],
            [0.025, "glowingrain"],    
            [0.125, "drizzle"],
            [0.7, "clear"]
          ],
          [
            [0.05, "acidrain"],  
            [0.95, "clear"]
          ],
          [
            [0.1, "snow"],  
            [0.9, "clear"]
          ],
         // [
         //   [0.03, "meteorshower"],  
         //   [0.97, "clear"]
         // ],
         // [
         //   [0.01, "largemeteor"],  
         //   [0.99, "clear"]
         // ],
          [
            [1.0, "clear"]
          ],
          [
            [1.0, "clear"]
          ],
          [
            [1.0, "clear"]
          ],
          [
            [1.0, "clear"]
          ],
          [
            [1.0, "clear"]
          ],
          [
            [1.0, "clear"]
          ]
        ],
    If you delete the marked chunk (or make a mod that does it) then you won't see any meteors in that biome. Rinse and repeat for any planet biomes where you want to colonize on the surface.

3. Vandrick

Perfect! Looks easy enough. Just open in notepad and edit? I think even I can manage that much. Thanks a ton!

4. Dr. Toros

I recommend using notepad++. It helps you figure out which brackets are matched, and also lines up the code visually so it's easy to read. In regular notepad it's all in a continuous line.

5. Vandrick

For the server is this something that'd each player would need to edit or edit in the server files? I would think it'd be a server thing, but with the way that meteors spawn linked to your character regarding position and all that, I'm wondering if it's a client side character thing that each player would need to do.

6. Vandrick

I just used MS Word since it keeps the format. Although I'll grab note++ since I can see me doing quite a few edits for Starbound.

7. Dr. Toros

Weather should be handled server-side, especially now that things like acid rain and meteor showers are in.

That said, it'd be pretty easy for me to whip up a mod that would fix meteors for all biomes. The advantage of using an actual mod is that it won't be overwritten by patches and also can be easily installed/uninstalled.

8. Vandrick

That'd definitely be something I'd use. Heck, I actually just need it off for Forest, Jungle, Desert, and Snow. All the rest can stay so we can experience them to some degree. Volcanic and Moons especially should have them. Right now I just turned it off for Jungle.

I know quite a few people in the "Meteor Protection" and "Meteor Experiences" threads would definitely use a mod like that too.

9. Dr. Toros

full list of implimented biomes:

arid
    desert
    forest
    snow
    moon
    jungle
    grasslands
    magma
    tentacle
    tundra
    volcanic
    barren
    asteroidfield

Let me know which ones besides those four, if any, you don't want meteors.

10. Vandrick

arid --- NO
    desert --- NO

forest --- NO
    snow --- NO
    moon --- YES
    jungle --- NO
    grasslands --- NO
    magma --- YES
    tentacle --- YES
    tundra --- YES
    volcanic --- YES
    barren --- YES
    asteroidfield --- YES

Seems reasonable enough to me. Places to build, and places to go get hit by meteorites. :up:

11. Dr. Toros

Vandrick likes this.
  12. Vandrick

13. Dr. Toros

Nope, just unzip it in the mods folder and you're good to go. If you can't open .zip files normally you can download WinRAR to do it.

For multiplayer, you should only need the server to have the mod running, but I'm someone will want it for their singleplayer too.

14. CookiezEater

CookiezEater Orbital Explorer

It's much easier. Just replace meteor shower weather (weather folder) with sunny weather. Done!

15. Vandrick

I dunno, placing Dr. Toros' mod in the mod folder is pretty darn easy lol. Plus it let's you experience the meteor showers on some planets if you so choose.

16. Noonu

Noonu Void-Bound Voyager

Tested this. Didn't seem to work. Large meteor hit my house after several hours of play. Note that I didn't delete the relevant section of code, but reset the values so there's a 0.0 probability of meteorshower and largemeteor and 1.0 corresponding probabilities for clear.

Next I'll try deleting the relevant sections.

17. Dr. Toros

Thanks, keep me updated. It's frustrating , as that section of code should absolutely control the weather in those biomes.

18. Damiano de' Caretti

Damiano de' Caretti Cosmic Narwhal

So we could increase the chance of the "glowing rain"!I saw that event one time and it was glorious!

19. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Instead of turning off meteor showers - it would be more fun to make meteor showers explode pixels :p
    Just saying.

20. 31jarey

31jarey Star Wrangler

Lol! But personally I would just turn the spawn rate down and the explosion radius down. I still remember my first world and my first ten min playing Starbound (acid Rain)