Modding Discussion Turn Off Meteor Showers??

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Vandrick, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Damiano de' Caretti

Damiano de' Caretti Cosmic Narwhal

Making meteors blow up in pixels?Not very funny and not very creative...why not a toilet strike?Yes indeed...toilets falling from the sky...they won't blow up,but they'll do anyway damage because well,if you throw an enormous ceramic cup on someone's head,you murder that one...

2. tab0reqq

tab0reqq Void-Bound Voyager

So does it owrk on servers?

On our dedicated server at StarboundHQ.pl we're organizing building contest with prizes (with 30 game titles to choose).

The only thing that people are talking now is meteor shower destroying their work (propably even before they complete it). I must admin that indeed it is a problem, since it's dedicated 24/7/365 professional server. Locally propably they could overcome this problem. :(

Any help would be appreciated.

3. Mr_PeaCH

Mr_PeaCH Industrial Terraformer

Along these lines...

Does anyone know how the weather tables in the biomes files correlates to actual planets once they are visited and generated? I'm guessing it must be possible to identify from the world file which 'block' of weather chances was selected so that you could know this planet has the "glowingrain" option or not without waiting to see if it happens or not.

4. SnowFox1

SnowFox1 Void-Bound Voyager

i need see if any this work for me

5. Damiano de' Caretti

Damiano de' Caretti Cosmic Narwhal

You should check out the Biome files with Notepad++ and find the part related to the weather,you don't have to wait it to happen...

Mr_PeaCH likes this.
  6. Mr_PeaCH

I think I'm on to something...

OK, clearly in the various Biome files it's very easy to see (and I have tabulated) what are the Biomes which have better or worse chances to produce the "glowingrain" weather effect. It basically boils down to two variations: Arctic, Arid, Asteroid Field, Desert, Moon and Tundra have the "best" chances for a world with Glowing Rain. In the Biome file for each of these there is a block which shows "glowingrain" at 0.1 (or 10% of the time). For Barren, Forest, Grassland, Jungle, Magma, Savannah, Snow, Tentacles and Volcanic there is a chance but in these the Glowing Rain is only 0.25 (or 2.5%) and it is in a block with a mixed bag of weather including Rain, Storm and Drizzle. This does not mean that every world with a primary biome of any of these type WILL have Glowing Rain but that for any given world there is a CHANCE that the block containing "glowingrain" can be selected. Remember, that each planet picks a single 'block' of weather; most of the blocks are only "clear" (meaning a planet which selected it will not ever have any weather). Other blocks may contain a small chance of meteor showers or giant meteors or acid rain - but they are also "clear" a greater percentage of the time. Some biomes do contain a block which makes a weather effect occur a large percentage, even 100% of the time. But for the most part it is fruitless to stand around and wait for the weather to change or at best a waste of a lot of time.

What I'm really about however is figuring out for a specific world, was the block containing "glowingrain" picked without standing around and waiting to see if the effect shows itself.

I've visited a large number of worlds across all the quadrants, and my Starbound's Universe folder contains a *.world file for each of them. The name of the file contains the X, Y coordinates so it's pretty easy to figure out which solar system the planet is in; haven't worked out exactly how to translate the other one or two numbers after the coordinates to a particular orbit, planet and/or moon in any particular system but I can handle that part for now separately.

By using Notepad++ to search ALL the *.world files in my Universe folder for "glowingrain" I got the confirmation I was looking for! The search turned up nearly 30 files containing "glowingrain" from almost 400 world files which approximates what I assumed that possibly one in 10 or 20 worlds would have Glowing Rain.

7. Dr. Toros

Dr. Toros Existential Complex

Hmmm. If that's the case, then that might explain issues people have been having.

What this mod does is delete the "blocks" of weather that allow for meteors to fall from some biomes.

If the weather is saved in the .world file, then installing the mod would do nothing for already generated planets.

Mr_PeaCH likes this.
  8. Mr_PeaCH

Certainly looks that way to me. Modding the blocks in the biome file will affect the way future planets are visited - when the world file is first created. But it would not affect already generated planets just as you said. And I don't know that the Notepad++ is the right tool to try and remove or alter the weather in an already generated world file. There is a lot more code in them than in the biome files.

Updated:

I've started asking more questions about the world files in general; wondered if anyone who looked at this thread would care to see or comment... http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/woolgathering-about-the-world-files.65312/

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  9. Airavj

Airavj Void-Bound Voyager

I can't download the mod from the Starbound Nexus site. All servers say the file is down. Is there another place I can download it from?

Does the mod work on the current version of the game? I like the idea of there being meteors on some biomes and not others. I'm really frustrated by having my work destroyed, after several hours on a planet with no prior indication of having meteors.

Thanks!

EDIT: I'm willing to change the values in the files myself, but I can't find them. The "biomes/surface" folder mentioned at the start of the thread is empty. In fact, ALL of the folders in the "assets" directory are empty. Not sure where to find the files I need to change.

Please help! I really want to play, but I can't stand these stupid meteors anymore!!!

EDIT2: It appears that in the current version, it is necessary to do some kind of complicated file unpacking and repacking just in order to modify files. This is beyond me. In which case, I am BEGGING you, PLEASE update this mod to work with the current version. I am unable to play until this is fixed. I can't BELIEVE they updated the game to a new version without dealing with this enormous problem of being chased by meteors.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Pingeh likes this.
  10. Tom1

Tom1 Orbital Explorer

where do i find this file

11. xxXLink50Xxx

xxXLink50Xxx Scruffy Nerf-Herder

uhm... folder is empty for me :eek:

12. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

unpack your assets. There is a modding guides announcement