1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Refinery And How It Hurts The Game

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MiniKnog Agent, Dec 16, 2013.

1. RizingAzure

RizingAzure Orbital Explorer

I'm at Rubium on my main save. I'm swimming in pixels due to how much of it monsters drop. I'm fighting surface dwellers. I have my gun to keep the distance, and if it gets too close, my sword swipes it away. Cave critters are a different story.

2. RynCage

RynCage 3.1415926535897...

Refinery is perfectly balanced considering how much I use my 3d printer.

Even if it isn't, the game is a big enough grind as is. We don't need to add to that. It's fine where it's at.

3. Gooseman

Gooseman Subatomic Cosmonaut

You need pixels now to make those nano-grade bandages which heal more, and those can get expensive.

I need all the pixels I can get.

4. GundamZphyr7

GundamZphyr7 Big Damn Hero

Pixels become trivial beyond Sector 4 or so because Sector 5-10 are incomplete and imbalanced.

Number tweaking will come later, once the sectors have become individually fleshed out.

5. Zulgaines

Zulgaines Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I don't like the refinery too much. When ore distribution and spawn is fixed and we have more content I'd like to think I'd want to hold on to whatever ore I have for reasons beyond trashing it for pixels.

6. Autzome

Autzome Black Hole Surfer

i don't want to farm for hours on end when i can just throw my diamonds in there.

i like the refinery; it makes printing,crafting and shopping practical.

7. Armitige

Armitige Void-Bound Voyager

Because there's no other far worse penalty for death, like having to traipse for 10 minutes though territory brimming with mobs that can one shot you to get back to that surface facility/dungeon underground mining spot. Pixel loss has always been a trivial death penalty, even back when it was 40%, because you can earn so many pixels from just clearing the surface of a planet in the alpha/beta sector once you hit T10. The refinery is far from the issue. And the number of pixels you get isn't even an issue, considering the massively limited uses for them. vendor weapons are garbage compared to what you can loot from chests or get from hostile NPCs. There only a handful of decent recipes you can buy from merchants. So the only valid use for them is the 3D printer for basically vanity items.

This thread is storm in a teacup.

8. Shasow

Shasow Space Spelunker

+1, refinery must go. It's rather redundant.

9. M4X_L10N

M4X_L10N The Court

The issue is that the diamond spawns on X Sec planets are so high, and each diamond is 100 pixels, that within 15 minutes of farming I can have 30,000 pixels.
    Whereas before this I had to kill about 50 mobs in beta sector to buy a gun off an airship.
    It's broken.
    It may be convenient to have all of this at your disposal, but it makes the game a lot less challenging and less fun at higher tier play. I have 200 stims and 300 health packs, nothing does more than ~350 dmg tops to me. So it's literally impossible to die. Unless I really make a mistake somewhere, I can always just run through anything with a stim active and eat a couple insta heal packs and it's no worries. I'll just farm up all the pixels to buy more in 15 minutes.
    Plus now I can just fly over every enemy, I don't even care about finding pixels in chests or killing creatures anymore because I have infinite money.
    That's the issue.

MiniKnog Agent likes this.
  10. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

This is still a game with heavy focus on sim/rpg elements, it should feel like a survival game for only the beginning portion of the game. They should make combat harder and planets more inhospitable, but the end game for a sim/rpg should have the character absolutely rolling in money/supplies--unless they played poorly or rushed to endgame. After they add in the pixel sinks for tiers 5-10 and properly implement the post-game Sector X, it should feel quite a bit different than it does now. The final form of sector X will contain only planets beyond tier 10 difficulty. I'm expecting that'll be without comparable armor/gear tiers, so you'll always be at a gear disadvantage. Would make for a higher supply consumption rate.

11. Khorak

Khorak Industrial Terraformer

Beta game is beta.

Considering the scope of additions still to be made to the game, it is entirely possible that pixels will eventually become far more valuable and be required in far greater amounts. Such as paying mercenaries in order to summon them, certainly with an increased amount of stores within your own built village, the vast piles of stuff needed to build that village, etc.

A couple months from now we might be crying that the refinery needs to poop out way more pixels.

M4X_L10N likes this.
  12. M4X_L10N

M4X_L10N The Court

The issues with the over spawning of ore and everything being packed into X Sec made it impossible not to "rush to end game"

You don't't have to fight anything to mine, and you're not forced to actually tier up besides to make your last tier of armor, and give me one reason why it's more fun to mine for another 4-6 hours so that you can progress up through every single piece of armor when in reality you won't even be using any of it until you reach the end tier because of the way X Sec is designed and the play style you're inherently forced in to?

This isn't about how you choose to play the game, or how I choose to play the game. This is about meta game trends and how the content is layed out; how progression and design reflects upon those characteristics of game play. That's what beta's about and why we're here to test.

They have always stated that they want this game to always be a challenge. So that's why this threads here. Pointing out what's making it not a challenge...

SkunkDave likes this.
  13. CaptThad

CaptThad Pangalactic Porcupine

You're having issues with content, which is exactly what I was saying: the content isn't there yet. Sector X as it is in-game right now won't be anything like Sector X as it's planned for the eventual release. The first 10-20% of the game is relatively set, the rest is just shadows on a wall at best. They're already doing something different, we just don't have access to it yet.

I do agree though that Sector X should be crazy hard. Like two-three hit deaths from basic mobs in best possible gear hard, popping stim-paks just to stay alive a few more seconds hard. Players who haven't amassed massive wealth shouldn't be able to survive due to the high supply costs of survival. If you're mistaking my other comments on sim/rpg stuff as an attack on particular playstyles, it's not. All I'm saying is that we shouldn't be killing necessary core systems because content that isn't even included is too easy.

14. Thenidur

Thenidur Big Damn Hero

i dont see a problem with the refinery. still here are a lot of players which seem to die much. i am one of them because i am always careless, but i dont mind
    others do. so they can use the refinery, same as i do, and get their pixels

only problem i have with pixels/refinery is the fact that ppl dont stop complaining about pixel loss and compression cost even if you find more than enough pixels/lesser ores to not really care about pixels at all

i personaly could live with 100% death penalty. still wouldnt matter. with so much spare ore + refinery pixels are just no problem

15. Those pixels aren't for you. They're for the hardcore builders who need a few hundred of the decorative items... like me.

Lintton and XaoG like this.
  16. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

I'm not exactly sure what this has to do with the topic of this thread. If you have a bug report, you're better off posting it in the dedicated thread in In-Game & Billing Support.

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Hear hear! The refinery is how I funded my humongous space station, my four houses, and a growing community of cobblestone cloud homes...in space!

I changed the scenery so much different mobs ended up spawning on the outside! I was so proud. :)

By the way, with the including the ability to sell items as well, if it wasn't ore, it would be seeds and fruits. Got to make that cheddar somehow!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2014
  18. Untrustedlife

Untrustedlife Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thats quite the necropost there.

You know what would be fun for a mod but wouldn't actually fit starbound at all..
    Necromancers

19. J-block

J-block Pay it Forward

That's not helpful whatsoever for a multitude of reasons.
    First of all the post you are replying to is about half a year old, so you're just trying to make a point instead of posting in a meaningful manner, which would be
    Secondly, you're posting this information in the wrong place. Good job.
    Finally, I think that's a stupid suggestion but I don't really care about that.

20. rambarrow

rambarrow Master Chief

The fact that you are even replying to my post and in quite the defensive manner shows that you care.... quite a lot actually; so ya.