1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

The Refinery And How It Hurts The Game

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by MiniKnog Agent, Dec 16, 2013.

1. Regios

Regios Master Chief

I also agree. The pixel refinery trivializes pixels. I used to worry about dying because I'd lose a good chunk of pixels if I did. Now, the only penalty I have for dying is losing my place on a map, which usually isn't that hard to get back to. It also trivializes monster encounters. Now, instead of having to kill enemies, I just float past them. There's no point in killing monsters to earn 10-300 pixels. I actually kind of liked it before when I had to work for my pixels. The only thing I spend my pixels on at the moment are on combinations and on using the 3D printer to scan items. I'd rather have work harder and get more satisfaction in the game than to just have everything handed to me. I do like that pixels can be transformed into cubes then resold back for a loss though. I think that is perfectly fine.

Lecic, The | Suit and NightofError like this.
  2. NightofError

NightofError Pangalactic Porcupine

I agree that the amount of Pixels you can earn through it should be rebalanced, however I do not agree that it should be removed.

Those ores in the late game have no use at all, literally and thus merely take up much needed space (either in chests or inventory) at least with the Refinery you can put them to something worthy of their space.

3. Vahnkiljoy

Vahnkiljoy Ketchup Robot

Here's there thing, nobody says you HAVE to make the refinery, it doesn't trivialize shit if you DON'T MAKE IT.

Alathon, XaoG and Dyskord like this.
  4. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The way to solve the problem is not by throwing it away into a pixel trash.
    Its done by giving the ores purpose.

5. NightofError

Not "pixel trash" remember the cost of items will most likely go up or be rebalanced quite a lot, it needs a bit of both. I agree.

But if you think of it this way, what use could those ores possibly have? You know, Copper, Iron, Silver?

By that point in the game (Tier 10) they really should not have much of a use compared to the other ores you find at that point.

6. Dr Grind-o-tron

Dr Grind-o-tron Seal Broken

I assume the refinery and 3D printer will go hand in hand. the refinery generates tons of pixels and the printer will use all of those pixels. Unfortunately right now the 3D printer is limited in functionality. I cant craft flares yet, so I would love to be able to print them off.

NightofError likes this.
  7. Chromeltd

Chromeltd Master Chief

Standard Progression for ores will work out over the tiers.

A game with a Refinery

1-3 90% of ore found can be refined
    4-5 60% of ore found can be refined
    6 -10 30% of ore found can be refined.

If this is the case then Mining still becomes worth while beyond building all the potential gear/tools for Metal Types.
    This will remain true if High Pixel Cost (Items/Materials/Equipment) become available End Game.

A game without a Refinery.

Copper = Craft gear/tools .. what now mmm this is good for pick repair so i will keep some copper.
    Iron = made my gear no unless i was to make iron block its trash
    Silver = made my gear no use for this anymore.
    ect all the way to Imervium gear.

Now i have everything i dont need to mine so bye bye copper

This Forces Players to Hunt / Farm / Loot for Pixels. Detracting from the Sandbox experience.

As for Pixels , on one game say Tier 1 / Tier 2 i had the problem of sitting on 11k pixels from exploring/raiding while looking for 3d scanner items with nothing to do with them other than be creative ... this was before even building a refinery
    Looting is Overpowered :)

I think a solutions for the Refinery/Ore just being Pixels mid-end game is to make some really useful and creative crafted items (expanded storage / wiring / automation / advanced construction blocks ) sounds like a good ore sink)

XaoG likes this.
  8. Regios

Regios Master Chief

Ores need to be given a different purpose then. For example, instead of using pixels to create items from the 3D printer, each item should use different variations of ores/bars/materials to recreate said item. Creating the original blueprint should still require pixels, however. This would give both pixels and ore a purpose.

9. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix Pangalactic Porcupine

At the least I think copper and gold would be useful for electronics, steel could be used to repair or upgrade your ship or vehicles, etc.
    I'm sure that uses could be thought up for the various ores.

10. The | Suit

Personally I was playing with the idea of weapon modifications.
    Something along the lines of

Each metal creates a "base plate weapon"
    Each base plate weapon allows so many points of modification.
    A base plate weapon does base damage \ speed \ etc.

For example Copper Sword gives 10 points of tempering
    Iron sword gives 20 points.
    Platinum sword 50 points.

Each ore provides some unique ability.
    So 1 copper adds 0.2% speed. So if you add 10 copper ore to a Base Plate copper sword you add 5% speed boost to the copper sword.
    1 silver may add 0.2% damage to beasts
    1 iron may add 0.1% increased damage. etc.

That way copper ore still remains useful end game - because it is the only ore which would add a speed boost. etc.

hansmorg, CJx101, Dyskord and 3 others like this.
  11. NightofError

Now that would be a very good idea, and I agree they could be put to use in those terms, but still say when you advance past those upgrades and Silver, Copper, and Iron become obsolete?

12. The | Suit

Other metals would just provide different benefits
    Titanium causing fire damage
    Plutonium causing poision
    etc.

13. Minister Max

Minister Max The Court

I look at it like this:

You had a massive disaster that you weren't expecting, you're very poor, and progress very slowly, but the further you progress, the less pixels are used for crafting, the more they are used for luxury.

I have 8k pixels, but nothing to do with them, might as well buy 40 bombs.

14. Lallykins

Lallykins Gross...

Don't take my refinery away. I carry one on ship and one in my inventory just to have some use for the overabundance of copper, silver, and platinum on Tier 10's. Without them I'd be forced to make..Platinum helmets and silver bedpans ad-naseum.

NightofError likes this.
  15. Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

how is being able to get aton of pixels at THE END OF THE GAME gamebraking

thats like complaining that the supercharged gravgun in halflife 2 is overpowered cus it 1shots things

16. Kenshkrix

Kenshkrix Pangalactic Porcupine

I think you should work on this idea some more, give it some refining and make a more official suggestion.

CJx101 likes this.
  17. Deathsdoll

Deathsdoll Pangalactic Porcupine

The man speaks the truth, some ppl don't like this lmao

18. MiniKnog Agent

MiniKnog Agent Astral Cartographer

That's because you're not far enough.

Once you move past Silver, you'll be swimming in Pixels. Once you move past Silver and Gold, you're Scoorge McDuck in space.

No, he is being an idiot. The point of an open beta is to get user input like this. To put down any discussion by simply stating "its a beta, lulz" is not only stupid but counterproductive.

Yeah that's how you make a healthy game. Totally.

Ignoring issues.

Lecic, CJx101 and The | Suit like this.
  19. Orolol

Orolol Poptop Tamer

The real problem with refinery is it totally nullify the death penality. You just stack lot an lot of ore / bar, use refinery when you want to spend money, and never have more than 500 pixel on you, then you just don't care about death, and you'll never use pixel compressor.

The | Suit likes this.
  20. Percy Lillywinkle

Percy Lillywinkle Starship Captain

Tell that to the other 90% of the forum that complains about losing their pixels.