1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

"The hottest place in Hell is reserved for those who remain neutral in times of great moral conflict." ~An ancient human, Dr. Martin Luther King

Cloudhopper and Owl_Stalker like this.
  2. beari78

beari78 Guest

Son of Purgatorium. You're chainsword should be in Lucifer's Palace.

3. beari78

beari78 Guest

... That seems rather idealistic.

4. beari78

beari78 Guest

Neutral but fighting both sides.

5. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

To all of this, I say:
    Meh.
    Basically:
    Big Ape (or, potentially, one of his close friends) wrote a propaganda document.

That's the most interesting thing since the last "Sum of our Knowledge" post. Also, a google drive document detailing the "Sum of our Knowledge" should be made. If Owl_Stalker, Hoddimir, Hawk_Novablast, Cloudhopper, DarkNovakid, and any other people I am seriously disgracing by not including them in this list, would mind posting their particular viewpoints, I will make a drive document summing up various possibilities that anyone can view, and link to it in my sig (if that feature is working, I haven't tested it...).

6. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Well, I actually have some stuff to say supporting that.
    The document says not to approach the G3 pods. I wonder what this is? Maybe they have evidence of the pods being Big Apes tests, or maybe these are still being researched and Big ape doesn't want specimens destroyed.

7. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Or maybe they are really dangerous and lethal to anyone around them

8. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

But why would BA worry about others?

9. beari78

beari78 Guest

I believe so far that the pods do come in stages, and that Agarans do put their spores on Floran pods, resulting in the Floran becoming Agaran with Floran traits. Like the salmon. And it may also be sexually transmitted.

10. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Presuming BA made that codex. It could be a red herring

11. beari78

beari78 Guest

I believe you mean defensive of itself. "If there was an ancestor whom I should feel shame in recalling it would rather be a man — a man of restless and versatile intellect — who not content with an equivocal success in his own sphere of activity, plunges into scientific questions with which he has no real acquaintance, only to obscure them with aimless rhetoric, and distract the attention of his hearers from the real point at issue by eloquent digressions and skilled appeals to religious prejudice." - Thomas Henry Huxley

Mainly the last bit though.

12. beari78

beari78 Guest

I'm still going with Kale. It was Kale of the USCM. It must have been. She would want to avenge the peoples right?

13. Villhelm

Villhelm Phantasmal Quasar

If anything she would want revenge on the tentaclebeast and keep her remaining forces away from more potential enemies, i doubt she would risk declaring against the Agarans after most of her race is now extinct, especially if shes in an unfamiliar universe.

Hawk Novablast and beari78 like this.
  14. beari78

beari78 Guest

Very well then. Thornwing it is. :proper:

15. quantian

quantian Aquatic Astronaut

^

16. Darklight

Darklight Oxygen Tank

Plus she's busy organizing the counter attack on Earth from the Mars base of operation according to the codex

17. beari78

beari78 Guest

18. Type1Ninja

FIrst post there said it's an act of interstellar terrorism. That's obviously not true; it's actually Hiraki Corale doing what she does best: blowing stuff up, by accident OR on purpose. On the other hand, this also near proves that the Hylotl are NOT plotting behind closed doors :(.

Hawk Novablast likes this.
  19. quantian

quantian Aquatic Astronaut

How does that prove that? Hiraki's what one would call a Prodigal Child.

20. Type1Ninja

My memory is not perfect, so I don't remember absolutely everything people have said. In particular, I believe Cloudhopper and Owl_Stalker have posted most of the "Sum of Knowledge" posts, so I would like them in particular to read over this and tell me if I have forgotten, misstated, or could improve the wording of anything in this draft of The Agaran Menace SOK (sum of knowledge). Everyone else, especially those who keep us moderate, like Lecic and Hoddimir, and those who sort just do useful things, like DarkNovakid. I'm not saying these are the only people who do these things, so PLEASE don't be offended if you are not here. While I REALLY want the listed people to read this, everyone should. Thank you. Here it is, in spoilers.

(I have titles and such in larger font, copy paste just failed at showing that)

The Agaran Menace

By Type1Ninja, Chronicler of

The Agaran Menace

There are many theories regarding many things concerning this strange new species of fungi. I have documented and published them in this paper-document-internet brainstorm-official looking thingy.

First, I need to make this clear: At the moment, GENOCIDEGENOCIDEGENOCIDE is not something I will record with any great detail after this point. Just let it be known to all that many on the Agaran Menace thread believe that GENOCIDEGENOCIDEGENOCIDE is the proper course of action. Their only reasoning, so far as I have deciphered, is: ‘Merica.

Agarans: How do they Spread?

There are several theories in this category, but there are two, main, warring opinions on how they spread.

Theory 1: Infection of Florans

One prominent theory is that Agarans survive and spread by by infection of the race known as the Florans. There are several pieces of proof for this: Florans have been found, in the past, in large, pitcher-shaped depressions filled with water, guarded by Agarans. McVicar, human reporter, discovered that the Florans were not being attacked or tortured*, but his audio quality degraded to static as he said exactly what happens to Florans found “captured.” This has led many to believe that Agarans infect Florans somehow, perhaps via Floran Pods, as they bear some resemblance to Agaran Pods.

Theory 1 Apex Extension:

This theory states that Agarans were created through experiments by Apex scientists, in particular Dr. Lax, potentially with the cooperation of Greenfinger, a renowned Floran scientist. This is supported by pictures of Apex scientists shown next to small Agaran pods.

*DarkNovakid thinks Agaran-ism is an STD. I’m not agreeing with this, I’m merely stating that DarkNovakid is a nutcase this is his opinion.

Theory 2: We haven’t Got Enough Information, You Fools!

The other prominent theory is that “We have not got enough information, so stop speculating on nothing!” This idea has also garnered many followers, but is boring me to death because Chucklefish seems to have forgotten us. as no new information has surfaced for a while, so we cannot be sure of anything. This theory also extends to other areas of research, and will be referred to as the “Theory of NEI” (Not Enough Info).

Speculative Extension of Theory 1 (This is mine, And Almost Entirely Speculation):

Firstly, read the “Agaran Classification” section, as that explains the classification system. One theory states that G3 Agarans form by a special process:

First, a Floran is captured and placed in a large pitcher of water. Agaran guards prevent him/her/it from escaping, only allowing occasional breaths of air. The submersion in the pitcher allows for the absorption of chemicals.

Later, the large pitcher collapses, sealing the Floran inside, where it incubates. Agarans perform rituals around this mound, as supported by Coralgrowers story, when the Agarans may have seen the Hylotl as a potential threat to the G3.

Agaran Classification

Consensus on this topic seems to be universal; Agarans are classified under four categories:

G1, the original, peaceful mushroom-people living in villages, farming sugar cane.

G2, the next generation of Agarans, these have downturned eyebrows and carry arms and armor. These guard Agaran “encampments” and have spurred worry among the populace of Starbound.

G3, a large, mysterious beast, presumed to emerge from the huge spiked Agaran pods with blood vessels (or another, similar formation) criss-crossing the bottom. Not much is known about them.

G0, the small, blue mushroom creatures sometimes found in Agaran towns.

It is important to note that this is NOT the completed version, in fact, one of the paragraphs just drops off; I will fix that. I just want overall proofreading.

Also:
    I did say NEAR proves. And when I said that, I meant that if Hiraki was the Hylotl McVicar saw, the hylotl probably aren't plotting with the Agarans, as she isn't the plotting type. She's more the "Oh hello wait are you my friend better blow you up to make sure" type.
    EDIT: The hylotl MIGHT be plotting, but we now have even less proof of that than we did before.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014