1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

I do recall the certain lore points. However, I don't see a connection strong enough to suggest that there was something between the drysap and the Agarans. But I guess that's just me.

It's pretty much confirmed that Greenfinger is gone in 1.0 lore. Instead, it's a title given to certain floran tribe members. Much has been retconned and removed, and I have a feeling that when 1.0 come around, it'll be clear Agaran Menace is no more. I guess the writer that worked on this thing isn't even working at CF anymore...? (not sure)

MysticMalevolence and Type1Ninja like this.
  2. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

The developers did say that they'd still be updating the game, since there was a whole bunch of content they couldn't fit in the 1.0 release. But this is just me being optimistic. I doubt we'll actually see anything plot-related with the Agarans.

Zebe likes this.
  3. Thundercraft

Thundercraft Phantasmal Quasar

:saywhat: They more-or-less retconned Greenfinger? I knew that they retconned some stuff, but... that's huge!

If they actually retconned the whole "Agaran Menace" thing, I will be quite disappointed. :nope: They intentionally built up all this mystery surrounding Agarans in order to help keep us interested while they polished the game. Was it all a big fat red herring? What about McVicar's reports? Were those retconned? They even did some official comic pages for McVicar's story. And I quite liked those comic pages.

4. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

They haven't revealed much about the lore changes (besides the quite straightforward main quest/storyline, but one thing they subtly revealed was the Greenfinger thing. I feel very doubtful about other individual characters' survival in the story. We'll see what comes of Hiraki, Thornwing, etc.

If they retcon it all away, I hope they give a word how all this would've ended. Reveal all the planned storylines that never came to be and all give the answers to the questions that were never fully explored. I think we beta folks need a some sort of closure to this. Otherwise, I'll be pretty disappointed and sad too...

5. Type1Ninja

Type1Ninja Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Well, I will say that the whole thing was quite a fun ride. Starbound is my second most played game on steam, and it was also the second game I joined the community for--specifically for this thread, actually. I'm glad to see Starbound "growing up," although I'll certainly miss the Agaran Menace.

The Squid and Zebe like this.
  6. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I also joined the community for this thread. I found the forums after googling "starbound Agarans" to see if they were a playable race.

Type1Ninja and Zebe like this.
  7. TentaKi11

TentaKi11 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

8. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Please note that image-only posts are discouraged under forum rules.

9. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

My, just look at what got brought back from the dead.

10. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Agaran R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

11. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Looks like a glitch, I think that is a line one of the Florans say to you during the Ceremonial Hunting mission.

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Thread necros can be acceptable if the thread is still relevant and the necro itself is on-topic. However, we do take issue when people go off-topic to call out the necro.

13. Guest0241525

Guest0241525 Guest

Well, this necro call-out did stay loosely on topic. Specifically, about Agarans being basically dead.

At the very least, it seems they're not anywhere as important as they used to be, instead being just another minor NPC race, not unlike Froggs, Shadowpeople, or Fenerox. Basically an extra mushroom flavor rather than some complicated ominous mystery. Whether it's for better or worse, I guess it's up for individual taste.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2017
  14. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

I'd say worse.
    I mean, this whole thread was made, assets built for the game, codexes written, and dev blogs made about this to hype up the Agarans as a big deal.
    ...and then nothing.
    Just like another 4/5 of the content that had a lot of potential and was randomly scrapped in the big lore-crash update.

15. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Agarans are just technically florans with hats
    but in my heart they're so much more

Zebe likes this.
  16. SparklerTheSableye

SparklerTheSableye Void-Bound Voyager

I only just started digging into the lore on more than a surface level and, I mean, the retconning of Greenfinger and the fact that Agaran are still nowhere near what they used to be, even in 2018... I'm so bummed man

The Squid, Zebe, Vrow and 1 other person like this.