1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Community The Agaran Menace

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Razey, Jan 30, 2014.

?

The Agarans: Menace or Misunderstood?

1. Menace

414 vote(s)
    15.4%
  2. Misunderstood

333 vote(s)
    12.4%
  3. Mushrooms

623 vote(s)
    23.2%
  4. Malevolent, Menacing, Misunderstood Mushrooms

1,319 vote(s)
    49.1%
  1. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

You're using a race mod. That text comes from the mod, not from the base game, and is therefore non-canon and not evidence. The race files are what determine the dialog lines an NPC character will use to address a player of that race. I know from working on another mod pack that all dialog spoken BY a character of a modded race and all dialog spoken TO a character of a modded race is added by the mod itself.

So I'm sorry, but because you are using the Avali Race mod, the dialog is from the mod, not actual factual Agarans.

Lecic and Owl_Stalker like this.
  2. Owl_Stalker

Owl_Stalker Guest

Doesn't it replace Agaran dialogue with basic Florans dialogue?

3. HomelessSkittle

HomelessSkittle Void-Bound Voyager

Perhaps the dialog is different, but does using a race mod change the basic Friend/Foe Identification of things?
    The dialogue isn't my main point, just that I wasn't attacked when approaching them.

4. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

Oh. I assumed you were pointing out only the dialog, because that was the only thing that was different from usual. No player character has ever been attacked on sight when approaching Agarans, unless the Agarans were attacked first. It is the other NPCs they have been holding prisoner, not player characters.

I'm not sure, I have an Avali character but haven't played it enough to encounter Agarans, would have to ask the modmaker himself to be sure.
    Sadly the modmaker has become disenchanted with Starbound, one of the many complaining about slow updates :rolleyes::facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  5. HomelessSkittle

HomelessSkittle Void-Bound Voyager

I can testify to this. It does replace any 'Agaran' dialogue with Floran dialogue, because I found another Agaran colony and they said something along the lines of "Not-So-Bird Man makesss great fertilizer...."
    I'm sure I didn't get the quote exactly right, but you get the idea. ;)

6. jpmrocks

jpmrocks Phantasmal Quasar

Theeeeey buuuurn Floran cropssssssss, poissssssson Floran water sssssuply, and deliver plague upon Floran housssesssss!

Well, not really… But are we going to wait until it happenssssss?

7. Nutric

Nutric Pangalactic Porcupine

They wanted to be friends. But I accidentally dropped an incendiary bomb on one of their thingies...
    They burn good.

8. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

[​IMG]

Bagel, SirKaldar, Andrej2001 and 6 others like this.
  9. Zoophilian

Zoophilian Big Damn Hero

It rubs the lotion on its skin o.o;;

SirKaldar likes this.
  10. The Neon Seal

The Neon Seal Sandwich Man

I havn't met these guys yet, but I think they are a menace, watching, waiting and planning till the time comes for them to rise up and use all worlds for mulch!

11. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Mother of.... Is Necroquoting a thing? If so, this is a very good example. :speechless:
    And... Are you talking about the Drysap dispenser next to the Floran?

12. Yzzey

Yzzey Heliosphere

Or it gets the hose again.

SirKaldar, Xronim and Zoophilian like this.
  13. DrunkCrayon

DrunkCrayon Space Hobo

I caught them trying to sacrifice a avian In what looked like a rigged lava alter with thorns and lava Inside. But For Cptn Crayon a Swift swipe of my sword and a few less mushroom people to worry about. Also a rather helpful avain that pointed me in the direction of her local village.

14. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm not sure if anyone went into detail about it before, but I find it interesting how the Agaran fungal pods all look like the pods Florans use in their respawn animation and how if I remember my lore correctly, the Agarans weren't always this violent. Given how fungi can interact with plants at times (aka, acting as a parasite, decomposing dead organic matter), does anyone think it's possible that an Agaran or some of its spores came into contact with a Floran in some manner and inherited some of its traits? The two races as of current seem similarly violent and the Florans seem to know them better than any of the other races.

Warning, lore spoilers to add to this:
    In one of the Apex Testing Course lore books, an Apex scientist talks about how Floran genetics is incredibly malleable and could easily be spliced into Apex genetics to create a breed of super soldier capable of taking on Florans toe to toe. This might also explain why the Trapped Apex Pod item even exists. That could have been either a failed experiment on an Apex that was dumped out into the middle of nowhere, or the Agarans have inherited that malleable nature, are aware of it somehow, and have been capturing other races to see what they can infest. A potential reason as to why Humans are never taken is because they either haven't run afoul of the Agarans or otherwise do not show an interest in them.

15. Lecic

Lecic Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This has been discussed to death. It's likely that Agarans are comprised of all sorts of (organic) races, considering the story of the one avian ship (The Sparrow? Something like that), which picked up a sunborn corpse infected with Agaran fungal matter, which then used the corpse as food and the skeleton as a frame to form an Agaran, which then killed everyone aboard in various ways.

SirKaldar and Cloudhopper like this.
  16. Aroxys

Aroxys Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ah, whoops. I haven't been keeping up with this thread and didn't want to wade through over a hundred pages. My apologies.

17. Zebe

Zebe Space Kumquat

The Green mutant apex in the pod have crawled to the pods on their own, as the racial descriptions suggest. The mutants are themselves Apex test subjects, often seen in Apex labs.
    I've put all the stuff together there is (though there might be things I've missed). Link for the post-o-massive: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/the-agaran-menace.68061/page-117#post-2066635

EDIT:
    forgot 2 stap
    *stap*

18. Terode

Terode Industrial Terraformer

My solution for the Agarans? Capture, contain, and study. It's better to know about them BEFORE you nuke their homes on the grounds of possible hostilities. Also, is there any known method for how they spread to other planets? If not, I'm thinking something along the lines of "Spores attach to travelers clothing, traveler goes to other planet, spores detach, colony begins".

19. baltosaa

baltosaa Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't see any possible issues arising with the Agaran.
    They are of no concern for my Avali. ^.^
    I'll get pictures whenever I can, though..
    *EDIT*
    Heres an encounter I had with some Agarans.
    No idea what they were up to though.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Terode and beari78 like this.
  20. LethalShade

LethalShade Scruffy Nerf-Herder

[​IMG]

EDIT :

This :[​IMG] reminds me of that :

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014