Should i buy starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by eliturbo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. eliturbo

eliturbo Intergalactic Tourist

Well, the question is simple: should i buy this game? I play games like minecraft, starmade and some terraria. This looks like a game that fits into the same category. But i dont play too much terraria so will i really enjoy this and not play it for a week and then never again? I see that there are enough mods to keep the game interesting so that is a nice thing. How challeging is starbound? does it become almost impossible the further you progress? Does it get updated frequently? And how many sectors are there? I know there is a alpha and beta. Is it infinite?

Forgive me for any mistakes in writing because i am dutch :D

2. Tremoraid

Tremoraid Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Do you have a friend that owns Starbound? If so you should try playing their copy and see if you like it how it is in its current state. If you do, then you should buy it. If not wait for the next stable patch and play your friend's copy again. Don't forget there is a modding community, and there are some quasi major changes changes from the current Stable/Unstable release and the nightly dev builds.

Although I recommend this game, but others may not like it as much. Its essentially a much more expanded version of Terraria in space, except it currently has less boss battles and less vanity I guess you would call it weapons. Building, in my opinion is far easier in Starbound than it is in Terraria. If you liked the npc villages you could create in Terraria, at some extent you can make the same thing here, although it is not required for progression.

Combat wise Starbound and Terraria are essentially the same. Transporting liquids right now is far easier than it is in Terraria (well in the nightly Dev builds).

The engine using procedural generation so technically its infinite, though in the nightly Dev builds currently the sectors are gone, and the planet levels are kind of randomized, which makes the game much more realistic in my view :3 .

Starbound is like a cat, it is both frequently updated and not frequently updated. Essentially there are the stable/unstable builds which haven't been updated in quite some time. Then there are what are called Nightly builds, where its updated every night, but you might have to cheat to be able to progress, mainly because the quest for X is not finished yet, or because x item is not added into a crafter to craft, but it is playable.

It all depends on what kind of person you are regarding a game for its playtime. When I first played it, I played it for over a month. The only thing that stopped me was when I was playing the Unstable build and I ran into an issue, and just didn't care to ask for help (weird smelter bug, possibly caused by mods but maybe not). But for most people I'd say you'd play for about a week or two, run into an issue and simply just wait for the next patch to fix it (nightly build technically fixed the smelter bug :3 ) .

Also your English appeared to be just fine to me :3 <- Native English Speaker. The mistakes you made are minor at best, I wouldn't worry about it! In fact there's probably more wrong with my grammar :rofl:. I usually just go with whatever "sounds" right.

Edit: If you don't have any friends that own Starbound, there are other ways of experiencing the game, such as watching Lets Play videos. Or people streaming Starbound on Twitch.

3. eliturbo

Thanks for your anwer :)
    I have another question: are planets infinite? It would be nice if they weren't. After exploring for a while you are sort of forced to move. I think that would make it a bit more interesting. How randomized are planets? How many biomes and dungeons are there? It also looks like monsters are randomly generated. Thanks for the compliment about my english! I dont have any friends with the game as far as i know. I also want to record it for youtube so is it a game that is difficult to play blind (record without ever have played it)? I just saw on the site that it was updated frequently but recently it stopped? Is that because they are moving to another office? It takes a long than :/. So there are a lot of gamebreakinh bugs?

4. Tremoraid

Most worlds start to look samey after a while, a problem with procedural generation.
    Planets aren't infinite on the surface if that's what you mean, but the amount of planets is probably infinite. And yeah you'll pretty much have to explore other planets to get stuff in the game.
    There are not a lot of game breaking bugs. And if by blind you mean colorblind yes, there are people playing it fine that have colorblindness, and the devs are taking steps to make it more playable. If you mean blind blind like not being able to see at all... I honestly couldn't answer you there, personally i'd think any game would be hard to play as someone blind! The biomes of planets are kinda mix and match, and right now a lot of them seem the same after you visit a lot of them. I'd say there are at least 10-20 dungeons, but I may be overshooting some ( I'm counting in villages and random avian houses).

I believe the dev move has been finished, but there are updates being made ( there are nightly updates) but there has not been a stable update in a while. I would recommend playing stable first. Also I just re-read what you said about playing blind and I feel silly. Yeah you should be able to stream it just fine without knowing what you are doing! The reason the newest stable build is taking so long to be updated is because it is a massive change (more depth to the game, quests ect)

Monsters are randomly generated from premade parts.
    I would say there are about 10 maybe 12 biomes, but you could probably look on a wiki to find out for sure.

Because the game is in beta, there are 3 different update types that it has

First there's the Stable build, which is what most think of when they think of as an update.
    Secondly there is the Unstable build which has more features but more bugs as well.
    Thirdly there is the Nightly build, which is an updated version that is updated every night, and gives you a view of whats to come. I don't recommend the Nightly build to those starting Starbound because there are little to no mods for it (because it is changed, well, nightly) and because at some point you have to use cheats (/admin commands) to be able to progress, for one reason or another.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  5. eliturbo

Thanks for your answer. I heared that people had to start all over because of a new update. Is that still happening?
    Are there any ingame cheats available because i allways am very curious to that and i start using them very quickly and the game gets boring because of that. How carefull should i be with mods? Is the game fully mod supported or, like terraria, tricky to install and someting damage your files.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  6. Tremoraid

Honestly, I believe you probably will have to start over when the next Stable update is released, but thats a far ways off! Mainly due to the fact progression has changed, and the universe generation has changed ( nightly build has far more biomes and dungeons than the current Stable builds). Although someone may come up with a mod to convert old character and ship files to the new update stuff.

I honestly would assume that until the game is fully developed at the 1.0 version that there will be wipes. Sometimes these things can't be helped =/. Although starting over would still be fun because you would have a different experience than when you first played!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the current Nightly builds don't accept the current Stable/Unstable playersaves.

7. eliturbo

It looks like the updates were almost every week. If the saves would be wiped every time that would be very annoying.

8. Tremoraid

No, they aren't wiped every time, but for instance if they change how universes function then your universe file will probably not work anymore. If they make major changes to players then your old player file probably wont work. And if they change how ships work your ship file wont work. I don't think it'll be an everything wipe every time they update. But the next update is pretty major, so a wipe makes sense (since they added a new types of quest, ships, ect, which all interact with the player/ship files).

9. eliturbo

10. Tremoraid

Well, there are some mods that are cheats. But there are cheats in the Nightly build. You can see those in the admins command thread, and some of the wikis!

Mods are easy to install, and the devs say they are making the game more mod friendly with every update. In fact theres a whole mod section on this website!

Its more like Minecraft where you drop things in the /mod folder, except you dont need a modloader.
    You can remove the mods at any time without worrying that they will damage your files.
    Mods don't really have any encryption either, so you could mod a mod (i've done that to a few of the liquid gun mods, before they were added into the game).

11. eliturbo

Well, thank you for your time :) . I think i have made a decision. The game looks really nice and i hope they keep on working on it.

12. Tremoraid

I'm glad to have helped you!

13. Kreq

Kreq Phantasmal Quasar

Don't.

Pingeh likes this.
  14. UltraSnaky

UltraSnaky Pangalactic Porcupine

Do. Even if it's not to your liking at first, at least you can come back and try it again when it's out of Beta.

15. nofo

nofo Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If it is not to his liking now what makes you think he would like it when it comes out of beta?

I would wait until final release then judge by what people say about it.

Pingeh likes this.
  16. Hooven

Hooven Void-Bound Voyager

Do not buy it until it is out of pre-access.

17. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Wait until the progression has been reworked.

18. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

Completely not true. No more player or ship wipes should occur. Not only was this promised in an earlier update, but Omni even verified it in a different thread. They now can 'update' player and ships and stuff to work with new stuff.

http://community.playstarbound.com/...cter-universe-wipes.82492/page-2#post-2192757
    For this information.

However, back on topic, I would honestly hold off on buying the game till they finish actually 'releasing' it. Supposedly with it being early access beta they could radically change the game. If you hate the change you'd be out the money you spent, and have a game you hated or found boring.

19. MysticMalevolence

MysticMalevolence Oxygen Tank

I strongly suggest waiting until next update at the least.

20. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

No more player or ship wipes, but if enough changes occur it might be wise to wipe them yourself. Same with any universe wipes that don't happen after large changes.

Serenity and Boshed like this.