Should i buy starbound?

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by eliturbo, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

I don't know about you, but if they keep the ridiculously annoying grindy early game crap+forced ore drops that they have in the nightly, in the game itself? You couldn't PAY me to wipe my character and have to go through THAT crap.

2. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

Well I guess that's why they don't wipe and instead leave it up to you. I don't know about you, but I'd want the most up-to-date items and terrain/planet generation. but I can understand why someone would want otherwise, I guess.

3. Tymon

Tymon Cosmic Narwhal

It would be extremely easy to get the new items without having to wipe your ship and character. and as far as universe wiping. that's a nonissue outside of backing up specific worlds that you want for your homeworld or something. I don't know of too many people that would care about losing their mined out tunnels on random planet 'z'.

4. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

yea, I understand. I just know there are a lot out there that prefer to experience naturally rather than spawn in things or delete worlds to force gen. it's not big of a leap

Serenity likes this.
  5. Hefeweizen

Hefeweizen Starship Captain

My opinion? No, stay far away from this one until full release and then read the reviews afterward. So far the early access program has been absolutely pathetic and worth nowhere near the price of admission.

6. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

If you aren't some one who is fond of Early Access - I suggest waiting till the game fully comes out. The game right now is fluctuating in design philosophy and it is hard to tell what the end game is. So it is better to wait then just jump in to the deep end.

7. Hefeweizen

• USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST: Failing to contribute to the discourse in a constructive manner. EXPIRES: 3 months.
    I
    I would add to this that Starbound specifically is a rather bad example of an early access game. Chucklefish decided to take a chance in order to get a ton of cash before their game was complete. In return they had to meet the challenge of developing their game under the scutiny of their paying customers and providing them with playable builds on regular basis.

Something Chucklefish has failed at terribly.

makraiz and Pingeh like this.
  8. warcore

warcore Existential Complex

I can say that you should avoid it at its current state, the games not 100% and a lot of the features are still unfinished or unimplemented or subject to a complete reworking, I would say that you should wait till the game is finished or until it reaches a point in development in which the community can inform you is complete enough for you to find enjoyable =)

9. Jbeetle

Jbeetle Oxygen Tank

don't buy it if you don't enjoy playing unfinished games. do otherwise. pretty simple.

Skarn and Serenity like this.
  10. Litagano Motscoud

Litagano Motscoud Master Astronaut

CF didn't even want to take pre-orders at first. I'm fairly sure it was because the community wanted it.

Kreuz Drache likes this.
  11. makraiz

makraiz Aquatic Astronaut

Read up on these forums before you hand any money over, especially the locked threads. It's up to you what you do with your money, but I personally regret paying for Starbound. Similarly to what Hefeweizen said, it's been a pretty rough beta/early access program that hasn't been managed very well.

12. Azirphaeli

Azirphaeli Void-Bound Voyager

I played for early access and I am enjoying it, playing on nightly helps with those "it's been so long without updates" feelings and they made it easy to force progression where problems currently exist.

Yeah, it's not finished.. surprise it's early access. If you don't mind playing an unfinished game go for it. If you do, don't give them money until it's done.

Jbeetle likes this.
  13. Hefeweizen

I'm sure the dumptruck full of money that they got from Early Access didn't have any baring on that decision. /s

14. Starbug

Starbug Guest

That's drifting into the same reasoning some people use to explain why they stopped updates to stable.. Not the right way to look at it.

Pre-orders are not unusual. I don't think any business, with bills to pay, would pass up ANY chance of cashflow. Especially in the early days of a young company, developing it's first game.

I understand where you are coming from, but it's the other way around. You needed the pre-orders to get to the Early Access stage. I wasn't around then, but I haven't seen (or really looked for) a compelling reason or explanation why they had to go Early Access and not just release the game either on, outwith steam. Early Access is about exposure; surely?

15. Hefeweizen

They went early access because when they started taking preorders they were saying the game would have a full release in 2013, and if they didn't give the community something in 2013 they would have ended up having to pay out a lot of refunds to customers who were no longer interested in the game because of the abysmal development pace. This way they get to have their cake and eat it to. They get all the money from preorders, and they don't have put any effort into their work because there is no danger of having to pay out refunds.

nofo likes this.
  16. Litagano Motscoud

The preorders came way before the game was on Steam's Early Access...

17. Starbug

Starbug Guest

Would you agree though that the Pre-Orders buyers helped the game to reach Early Access level?

After all, whether alpha, beta or any other greek alphabet designation, Something playable is required for Early Access. Can't put a in idea, a pitch or a kickstarter on Early Access without a playable build.

18. Hefeweizen

With preorders there was the possibility that if Chucklefish couldn't deliver a product in a timely manor that they would have to start paying out refunds from people who were no longer interested. With the switch to Early Access they can derp around and produce absolutely diddly jack for however long they feel like and never have to suffer financially for it.

19. Litagano Motscoud

Yeah, I suppose it did help.

http://playstarbound.com/

20. Hefeweizen

I'm well aware of blogs and broken builds.

But seeing as my original comment covers most of what Chucklefish has actually produced, I'm going to stand by it.

Maybe "they can derp around and produce absolutely diddly jack (along with blogs and broken builds)"?

makraiz likes this.