Oxygen - breathing

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by cheese, Feb 29, 2012.

1. cheese

cheese Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm not sure if this has been stated before, and I apologize if it has (nothing came up in a search), but what about breathing?
    There are limitless amounts of planets, right?
    Well what if each planet had a different amount of oxygen requiring certain items to be used? (space suit, oxygen mask, etc)

This could change from lower level planets being able to breathe fine, and higher level planets need a space suit or something of the sort.

Maybe our tech guys in the space station could come up with a chemical pill or something to allow our bodies to require less oxygen..

2. Ecchiholic

Ecchiholic Cosmic Narwhal

3. SweenMachine

SweenMachine Big Damn Hero

Further, perhaps some planets could have a toxic or corrosive atmosphere, requiring them to be explored in a vehicle or mech. And the other way, some planets could be surrounded by an EMP field and can only be explored on foot.

Ecchiholic likes this.
  4. Ecchiholic

But who could have put it there? DUN DUN DUN.

SweenMachine likes this.
  5. SweenMachine

It was totally the Space Penguins

6. Ecchiholic

Those vicious creatures!

7. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

Seriously, those are some good ideas! Let's just hope the devs see this! :D

8. cheese

I'm glad to see some people are interested in this idea.

Maybe there could be some creatures that could spit/breathe certain gases at you.

Or maybe these creatures, once tamed, could remove the dangerous gasses from the planet like how trees make an oxygenated atmosphere.

Coffee and Madmarlon like this.
  9. Madmarlon

That. is. simply. Genious!

Ecchiholic likes this.
  10. Ecchiholic

What he said.

11. tomany2

tomany2 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

12. cheese

I really like the idea of work causing that meter to go up faster.
    The more work you do, fight, build, etc. would cause your oxygen level to deplete much faster.
    This would add the need to use caution and careful planning when visiting those dangerous planets.

tomany2 likes this.
  13. Madmarlon

I know this doesn't match to this thread, but how about I throw in the idea of a food meter, if that hasn't been said already!

Or, another idea would be, eating food to restore your weariness, because I like that idea!

cheese likes this.
  14. Ecchiholic

God, there are so many options for survival stuff. I'd wish we would get them all.

Madmarlon and cheese like this.
  15. SweenMachine

I would be more open to weariness if there was a recovery item I could use to cure it, not just go back to the ship and rest. Combining these two ideas could work great!!

16. cheese

Maybe the devs could implement a "realism mode" for different pace.
    I can see some people complaining about too much realism, but if it was implemented in a game mode, maybe attached at character creation, like hard/med/soft-core modes, this could add a layer to the game that many people could find interesting.
    That way it could keep the non-realists happy, while keeping the people looking for a more realistic challenge happy as well.

SweenMachine and Madmarlon like this.
  17. Madmarlon

Yes, more gameplay modes are always better! How come, you always have those brilliant ideas?

18. SweenMachine

That is absolutely the best way to roll these ideas out. :D

19. cheese

Having different game modes could potentially multiply the game time.
    Eg. 6 different game modes = 6 times the amount of gameplay.