Other types of liquids and rain.

Discussion in 'Blocks and Crafting' started by Admiral Obvious, Jun 29, 2012.

1. Admiral Obvious

Admiral Obvious Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Instead of the water and lava we already know, there should be more types of liquids.

• Oil- Can be used as a source of fuel for your things.
    • Acids- Pretty much the same thing as lava except not hot and corrodes through blocks over time.
      • Subcategory Item: Kingswater a very rare acid that is usually found in cavers deep underground. It is a highly unstable acid and has a ph value of 0.2, due to being so concentrated one tends to find it extremely corrosive to resistant material sorrounding the pools.
        This is one of the most consentrated acids in the known universe and has a high value among various professions. It is used for things like explosives and thoroughly cleaning machine parts as a part of their production phase. It is mostly know for its ability to corrode through gold. May periodically release caustic gases (acidic gas).
    • Goo- I don't know what its used for, its just more viscous than water. Can be run on. Otherwise makes you sink if not moving. (Maybe stuff spawns from it.)
    • Liquid Elements- Like the elements we know, commonly used to freeze stuff.
      • Liquid Helium- Frezes Everything, Must be manufactured, In which in liquid form is 4 Degrees Kelvin (AKA Just above Absolute Zero), Can climb container walls, Can go through single block wide walls.
    • Quicksilver- Element with varying viscosity, depending on temperature. Used in temperature based things.
    • Liquid Rubber- Slow to move in while liquefied, turns bouncy when solidified.
    • Tar - Very thick and sticky. Speed and jump height are drastically reduced when moving through it and for several seconds after leaving. Easy to drown in, and also flammable.
    • Sulfur- Found above lavapits. Useful for making explosives.
      • Can be a solid if undisturbed, otherwise due to the "fineness" it can act as quicksand. Can potentially snow sulfur on volcanic planets or near volcanoes on non-strictly volcanic planets..
    • Methane- Gas found around sulfur, and also can be found near oil under certain circumstances.
    • Bio-liquid - green or teal colored liquid a bit similar to acid or green water, only glowing at first glance. Swimming in it causes your health to regenerate. It is pretty rare. Density is similar to that of water. It is also sometimes called "Life-water" or "Moon water". Scientists argue if this bio-liquid is some kind of a large organism, a colony of organisms, a strange formula unknown to them or simply water filled with some strange species of bacteria.
    • Inhabited Water- Water with little wormy things in it you step in it you are damaged if you heat it up or chill it it will turn to normal water.
    • Ferrofluid- Magnetized type of liquid. Can be used for metal detectors. Has a pull on players and/or metallic objects. Can have it's pull disabled with a pulse of electricity.
    • Bleach- Used to purify or poison things.
    • Rubidium- A wonderful "artificial" liquid that explodes on contact with water.
    • Living Gel - A thick liquid that comes in various colours. Harmless, but will occasionally start moving of its own accord! When Living Gel wants to move, it forms into a sphere and rolls to another convenient place that can hold it as a pool before settling again. If you are swimming in the gel when it does this, you will be carried along with it! Living Gel never appears as rain.
    • Energel - A thick fluid used to make energy cells. Your energy rapidly recharges while you are swimming through it.
    • Gravigel- which has the tendancy to go anti-grav, making the oceans float into the air!
    • Glue- To be crafted using a derivative of tar.
    • Paint- To be crafted using stuff that are saturated in color.
    • Greased Lightning- Crafted only Liquid that combines Oil, Ferrofluid, Energel, & Gravigel.
    • Hydrocarbons - Black, flammable liquid. Does no damage directly, but burns impressively when ignited.
    • Sludge - A useless, harmless slime created when two different types of liquid mix.
    • Pyroclastic density current, is a fast-moving current of hot gas and rock, can reach temperatures of about 1,830 °F. Pyroclastic flows normally hug the ground and travel downhill. They are a common and devastating result of explosive volcanic eruptions.
    • Liquidus Solida or Liquid Ground- A malleable liquid that has a very high tensile strength factor, meaning it can be moved, but nothing can pass through it. Can be used as a cheaper and slightly "disposable" method of creating roads and bridges. Manufactured mainly for vehicular use.
    • Blood- Can be found by killing things in a "cup/ditch/hole/ect"
    • Sewage- Stinky stuff... Potentially poisons you on contact.
    Depending on what planet you live on, the rain should rain different types of these things.

• I don't think it should rain oil.
    • If you are on a gas giant planet it should rain acid. Pockets of it can be found deep underground as well.
    • Some planets could rain goo.
    • Extremely cold planets could rain liquid elements.
    • Quicksilver will only rain on very hot planets.
    • Rubber can be made, or found. It wouldn't make sense for it to be raining it now would it?:wut:
    • Tar is very heavy, so it wouldn't rain tar unless the atmosphere was very thick or there was frequent storm activity. Tar would be found in naturally occurring pits (think La Brea Tar Pits), usually with animal remains or fossils stuck in them.
    • Extremely polluted planets could rain sulfuric acid.
    • Bio-Liquid Could be found anywhere, it will just be a very rare find.
    • Inhabited Water Could also be found anywhere, usually not near known villages.
    • Ferrofluid must be crafted.
    • Bleach is a crafting only item.
    • Rubidium is made by the radiation of goo or quicksilver.
    • On planets where Energel occurs naturally, gel rain may occur after a hurricane or tornado. Energel is frequently found in large reservoirs in highly advanced structures.
    • Gravgel would be a natural occurance, and is very rare. On looks, it could look like water, but is tinted various colours, so it kinda looks like patches of rainbows, but very faint rainbows. Acts like tar, but with gravity changes. It could be manufactured, but it requires the mixing of quicksilver, tar, and energel to create, and would take a long time, and you can only create if you have studied a sample, or a NPC has given you a Gravgel related object.
    • Glue- Deals moderate knockback and slows enemies way down. Sticks to surfaces, slowing down enemies who touch it. Enemies covered in glue take extra fire damage, and less physical damage.
    • Paint- Deals no damage, but colors enemies. Painted enemies have a much higher chance of taking critical damage, and drop extra pixels.
    • Greased Lightning Is a liquid which can by it's characteristics move extremely fast & energetically
    • For the most part, Hydrocarbons are manufactured
    • Sludge does nothing, and is created when stuff mixes, causing a blending effect in terms of color, that's it.
    • Pyroclastic flows can't be harvested, for some slightly obvious reasons, but after a time will result in a layer of sulfur.
    • Liquidus Solida can be manufactured with a quantity, of, essentially anything, commonly dirt, glue and a highly ionized solution of ferrofluid or gravigel in order to keep the mass stuck together.
    • You have a horrible life if it rains blood.
    • Sewage can be found in pipelines under heavily populated areas.
    [Disclaimer]Please note that only half of these ideas were mine origonaly, you can look through the list of replies for who has imputed their own ideas. I'm just here to compile everything on the top so everyone could read it.

If you think of more please don't hesitate to add another liquid to the thread.

This is pretty much directly transferred from Pikkon53 (Forgive me sir and or mamm if i spell it wrong).

Each type of "natural" rain can also be turned into snow, or gas, depending on the temperature of the planet, therefore creating even more uniqueness on each of the planets that you traverse.

All of these liquids could probably be combined together to make something new, I believe Infero-Draconis used some of the things on this thread for his Liquid Based Weapons thread. Liquids will now have more of a use instead of just getting in your way, or making you drown after five seconds.

Try out this game, I got some good ideas from it. (Don't worry it's free)

This thread is edited whenever I deem necessary. Come by to see if there are any recent changes.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  2. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

i think lava is also a good idea. and on extremely hot planets it could rain lava that hurts you if you walk through the rain.

ChaseNeiz and qazxcwe like this.
  3. Admiral Obvious

I think we knew that lava was going to be in the game anyway, i'm just fielding other liquid ideas.

4. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

5. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

How about, a planet where oil would be replaced by the mass of ocean known on earth, where the oil levitates to the planet's surface by gravity, and while the oil is absorbed by the "gas clouds" - Active volcanos would burst at the gas clouds, lighting up the gas clouds which would then explode in a way that would provoke fiery thunders.

What I'm kinda saying is, what if they were mixed, and in that way different reactions would occur as a result?

Electric current travels through water, friction in clouds etc cause lightning, etc.

Just a few thoughts... :lolwut:

6. Seria-Myouna

One thunderstrike and your entire ocean is history, not to mention any semblance of a normal atmosphere. Oil doesn't sit around aboveground because it's volatile.

XRiZUX likes this.
  7. Zeklo

Zeklo Heliosphere

Slimes should spawn in goo. And were was lava rain confirmed?

buttershoes likes this.
  8. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Sure thing... I was imagining a planet which didn't have a solid ground, like it would have cracks all over because of the earth quakes, it would have holes all over because of the explosions, all living creatures would exist underneath the surface. They would eat each other and populate somehow living off other gases which exist closer to the core of the planet etc. Just wild imagination, didn't mean to bother the logic lol :lolwut:

9. Seria-Myouna

The Logic is bothered, however you are forgiven, xD. That would certainly be an interesting idea.

XRiZUX likes this.
  10. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Hehe :p Except I don't really see how any life form could be living there, in a logic sense, would be a mystery... But, that's what makes it that much more exciting :p

11. Coolitic

Coolitic Big Damn Hero

nice, and for hazardous planets wit acid rain, you need special block (and the planet is abundant with the blok of course)

12. Admiral Obvious

OK. Goo should spawn some type of monster that lives in it. (some) Planets can rain oil under the right circumstances.

My liquid elements could work as an example. You have a dive suit but you run out of oxygen a lot. Bring a canister of liquid oxygen, heat it up a bit and you're good to go.

13. Admiral Obvious

I knew that, however nobody has really suggested what type of liquids other than water, lava, and (i didn't see acid but i guess i read too quickly).

14. Seria-Myouna

I think some sort of technological device would work well in conjuction with this, like:

Nitro-Electrolysis Apparatus(Helmet Mod): Allows for incredibly long periods of time to go by with the user completely submerged. Liquid nitrogen is heated and combined with oxygen created from electrolysis performed on water passing through the device, allowing the user to breathe a normal mix of Oxygen and Nitrogen while not having to carry around excessive amounts of compressed air. The module automatically compresses nitrogen from the atmosphere when the user is out of water, taking several times the normal duration to regain one's full breath capacity. Uses suit power to electrolyze water, vaporize the liquid nitrogen and convert latent nitrogen into usable form for the module. In other words, the user cannot use jetpacks or suit-draining weapons or tools while the NEA is operating in any capacity.

EDIT: Pure Oxygen would kill a normal human, thus my solution. May be convoluted but it works.

15. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

QuickSilver, maybe used for thermometres?

16. Admiral Obvious

Sorry for shortening your quote but I like it.:)

I like the idea, but it seems too specific of a liquid, if you can come up with more than one idea for it other than just thermometers, i'd like to hear about it.

P.S. I hate my internet.

17. DNAY!

DNAY! Ketchup Robot

Quicksilver only occurs in lakes on uninhabitable planets. it creates toxic fumes that kill almost everything. it's really heavy and flows slowly.
    it can't rain quicksilver. it is used in thermometres and is the only conducting liquid (except for salt water maybe).

Dragrath and Admiral Obvious like this.
  18. Admiral Obvious

There's some idea development, i like it too.:)

19. Admiral Obvious

I never said lava rain was confirmed, I just said that lava will exist.

20. Kcribbin

Kcribbin Phantasmal Quasar

How about some kind of liquid that when something or someone steps in/goes into it, they speed up, like how slime would (assuming) slow you down.

Admiral Obvious likes this.